Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
I saw him at lunch a couple weeks ago, I gave him a flood yesterday.. He's in the busy carpet cleaning season.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
@emeraldclean you don't go into restoration because of hassles with the insurance coverages? Or because your in a small town?
A number on reasons.
1. Don't have the manpower, equipment and all the subtrades that go along with doing restoration ( insurance and adjusters want to write out one cheque and only deal with the general contractor ) not 3-4 different trades
2. Don't want to be on call 24 hours
3. Don't want to reschedule prebooked jobs to get to a WDR job
4. Got a busy personal life ( kids with lots of activities) don't want to change plans because Dad now needs to respond to a WDR job. Or I'm at the lake and get a call saying I got water in my basement.
5. Adjusters will not consider me as a preferred contractor.

In my area Douglas there would be loads of work ( many small towns and a decent population in a 60 mile radius). I'm 30 miles from the city of Winnipeg and this is were the preferred restoration company's are based out of.
In my area all the restoration company's are very established , very hard to crack the market.
I do work ( carpet/ uph / furnace and duct cleaning, ) after fire damage or water for one company that started up about 10 years ago.
Both the guys that own the restoration company worked as job site formans for a big outfit in Wpg before going on their own.
They went out on their own because they knew adjusters would give them work because they knew them personally from over the years in the industry.

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
So I'm just wondering... is there a reason you guys don't take your personal business into the water fire restoration business? Why get into the franchise.? We have been into it for 17 years now. All bids and quotes come from Cintas national or local insurance company. Just wondering what the franchise offers that you yourself cannot attain.

Aug 18, 2009
Real Name
Douglas Perez
Business Location
United States
@emeraldclean makes sense. Lived in St.Norbert for 13 years , I have an idea how difficult that would be. I had a family member in Winnipeg use a restoration company this winter on a commercial property and the company they used had a crew of over 100 employees on staff. I figured the barrier to entry is much different than here in the US.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
I also live in Missoula... I think Will's timing may have missed it too. Since he got into it we haven't had any big water events. If he had gotten into it a year earlier---huge flood season. It may pan out for him in time. A couple of good projects can turn it around quick.

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
The job you gave Will... was the homeowner using their insurance?
I'm thinking no, this was a uninsured WDR?
I can't give Will all the overflow work I have. He's not set up good to cover the vast majority of what we encounter daily as a restoration company.

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
I also live in Missoula... I think Will's timing may have missed it too. Since he got into it we haven't had any big water events. If he had gotten into it a year earlier---huge flood season. It may pan out for him in time. A couple of good projects can turn it around quick.
On the contrary Rick.. It's been the busiest water damage, fresh water cat 1 summers I've seen in 10 years here..

You know how the Missoula market runs, it's tough to break into it.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I can't give Will all the overflow work I have. He's not set up good to cover the vast majority of what we encounter daily as a restoration company.
I've been to a few restoration shops to do work from pack outs after a fire damage job ( clean uph/ mattresses etc for them)
They have very impressive shops.
Loads of drying equipment and staff.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
On the contrary Rick.. It's been the busiest water damage, fresh water cat 1 summers I've seen in 10 years here..

You know how the Missoula market runs, it's tough to break into it.
Shows how little I know---Glad you are having a great season. Without the high water runoff this year, I would have guessed not that big of a year---obviously I was wrong.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
@emeraldclean makes sense. Lived in St.Norbert for 13 years , I have an idea how difficult that would be. I had a family member in Winnipeg use a restoration company this winter on a commercial property and the company they used had a crew of over 100 employees on staff. I figured the barrier to entry is much different than here in the US.

I do work also for a small restoration company ( they have 2-3 employees).
The son took over from the Dad.
The Dad was originally a carpenter that got into restoration years ago through insurance work.
We do a fair amount of furnace and duct cleaning / carpets/ uph for them
Sometimes we will even just go and extract a flooded carpet( they will rip it out... just like the as much water removed for weight) for them before they arrive with drying equipment .
I'm just a small time O/O with a helper . I prefer being in control
of the jobs I book.
If I choose not to work evenings, weekends etc .. I can.

Reactions: Harry Mullett
Aug 18, 2009
Real Name
Douglas Perez
Business Location
United States
I do work also for a small restoration company ( they have 2-3 employees).
The son took over from the Dad.
The Dad was originally a carpenter that got into restoration years ago through insurance work.
We do a fair amount of furnace and duct cleaning / carpets/ uph for them
Sometimes we will even just go and extract a flooded carpet( they will rip it out... just like the as much water removed for weight) for them before they arrive with drying equipment .
I'm just a small time O/O with a helper . I prefer being in control
of the jobs I book.
If I choose not to work evenings, weekends etc .. I can.
Makes sense in your case

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
Shows how little I know---Glad you are having a great season. Without the high water runoff this year, I would have guessed not that big of a year---obviously I was wrong.
One day soon, let's get lunch

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Interesting, I thought that is what he bought into when he purchased a franchise - - what is encountered daily as a restoration company.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
So I'm just wondering... is there a reason you guys don't take your personal business into the water fire restoration business? Why get into the franchise.? We have been into it for 17 years now. All bids and quotes come from Cintas national or local insurance company. Just wondering what the franchise offers that you yourself cannot attain.
Depending on the franchise;you can get a better national presence; which is good for attracting some of the bigger insurance companies. Many of the big companies have partnered up with the bigger franchises to offer them "program" work that isn't offered to the smaller companies. Thats not to say a guy can't get work by being an independent, but; it all depends on your market. In my market it is better top be a franchise IMO because there is enough program work to keep one busy.

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
Depending on the franchise;you can get a better national presence; which is good for attracting some of the bigger insurance companies. Many of the big companies have partnered up with the bigger franchises to offer them "program" work that isn't offered to the smaller companies. Thats not to say a guy can't get work by being an independent, but; it all depends on your market. In my market it is better top be a franchise IMO because there is enough program work to keep one busy.
When I say local.. I'm still talking abt big names. We were fortunate to become fema vendors for Katrina and Rita which opened the door to meeting insurance adjusters..... blah blah. Turning out to be great for us. I do see it for the guy who wants to do it all the time bt dam that stuff can be tough. I'd rather have some interest in all the aspects than be all tied up In one area. To each his own. I think it's more abt where your market location Is.

argen services

Feb 26, 2011
florida
Real Name
raul kalbkauf
Business Location
United States
FRANCHISE IS STUPID. PEOPLE DONT KNOW SERVPRO, 911 RESTORATION TO CHARLIES CARPET CARE. PUT YOUR MONEY IN A BOXTRUCK, WITH A WRAP AND ADVERTISE. YELLOW PAGES, GOOD PAY PER CLICKS AND $1000 PLUMBING REFERRALS UP FRONT AND 30% WHEN THE INSURANCE CHECKS ARRIVE. INDEPENDENT, I CAN CLOSE SHOP CHASE STORMS AND MAKE A MILLION IN 5 WEEKS AND SLAM MOLD FOR 3 MONTHS EVERY OTHER YEAR WHILE YOU RUN AROUND LIKE A CHICKEN DOING CASH FLOODS FOR $500. YOU MAY BE 911 WITH A FRANCHISE BUT IT COMES WITH NOTHING BUT RULES.
BE CREATIVE FLOOD EXPERTS, FLOOD RESCUE, ETC. PAYING FOR 911 RESTORATION IS STUPID.

KEVIN
WWW.WATERDAMAGE24HR.COM

BY THE WAY I HAVE 100 DRI EAZ 1200S FOR SALE
50 EVOLUTIONS FOR SALE

561-212-9944 SOUTH FLORIDA