Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise

Nick Miladinov

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Nick Miladinov
I was actually profitable the first month I was in business. Because I had other ventures and learning experiences that prepared me to make good business decisions.

I am just trying to help others avoid pit falls that may cause their business to struggle.

Do you work for 911? You are awfully interested in standing up for them. Bottom line is 911 contacted him about all this work they supposedly had in his area. He spends a lot of money to join their system, and probably on going monthly fees as well. And nothing has come of it.
You weren't profitable when you calculate equipment purchases that you made to start the business... That's the point I'm making. Your first year is tough let alone first 4 months!! I'm not sticking up for anything! Never heard of 911 until this thread came up. You claim you don't want to see others fall into the same situation but you don't have to harrass Will over it! You're asking him about his P&L, why don't you show us your first quarter in business first!! Grow a pair and show us don't tell us a bunch of BS.

Reactions: aloha one

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Think he is going to need to do way more marketing, its a mistake to think all this work will come in through seo/adwords.

if building a business was that easy we'd all be millionaires.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
You weren't profitable when you calculate equipment purchases that you made to start the business... That's the point I'm making. Your first year is tough let alone first 4 months!! I'm not sticking up for anything! Never heard of 911 until this thread came up. You claim you don't want to see others fall into the same situation but you don't have to harrass Will over it! You're asking him about his P&L, why don't you show us your first quarter in business first!! Grow a pair and show us don't tell us a bunch of BS.

images

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Harry, go look at your books from your first year and tell us what your P&L looks like?! I'm sure the first 4 months it won't look "successful"!!! Sounds to me like you want to rub in the fact that they called will and said that they have jobs for him.... Those obviously are sales tactics but come on already..

Sales tactics? I think those are called lies.

Reactions: Harry Mullett

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
So @Will Reed a few questions:
How much upfront money did you spend to 911?
How much do you spend each month?
How much have you made?
The franchise fee for my population base was $28,000. I put $5000 down and paying the rest over 3 years. Monthly franchisee fee is 10% of sales with some allowed business deductions before the 10% is figured. So far I've had one small job that was a little less then $1000.

When it comes to my area I'm not sure how much of the market is tied up with insurance adjusters and how much of it is home owners randomly dialing a WDR company.

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
The franchise fee for my population base was $28,000. I put $5000 down and paying the rest over 3 years. Monthly franchisee fee is 10% of sales with some allowed business deductions before the 10% is figured. So far I've had one small job that was a little less then $1000.

When it comes to my area I'm not sure how much of the market is tied up with insurance adjusters and how much of it is home owners randomly dialing a WDR company.
Have you ever thought of approaching some of the local General Contractors not WDR guys about doing work for them? Might be the best way to get an "in" with an insurance company

Reactions: Will Reed

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
I approached a GC who used to do WDR work and proposed I do the work once I'm certified and of course pay him a royalty. He has an RFP go thru with a local hospital and is way to busy to do WDR and the insurance agent still calls him all the time

Reactions: Will Reed

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States

that was extremely expensive. the good thing though is water damage is pretty rewarding and you could be making money should the franchise thing work. If I were to compare, I was told by a friend of mine that servpro is 4% to 7% monthly on your gross. But I don't know for sure as I was told by third party. If that was the case you got to think that servpro is competence free in all markets so I would have gone with them if it was me and the opportunity was open.

Nick Miladinov

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Nick Miladinov
that was extremely expensive. the good thing though is water damage is pretty rewarding and you could be making money should the franchise thing work. If I were to compare, I was told by a friend of mine that servpro is 4% to 7% monthly on your gross. But I don't know for sure as I was told by third party. If that was the case you got to think that servpro is competence free in all markets so I would have gone with them if it was me and the opportunity was open.
What's the point in saying what you would do after he already bought his franchise???

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
What's the point in saying what you would do after he already bought his franchise???
He is not dead yet; If things don't work out, he will have other horizons to look at.. Besides, I did not say what he bought is bad nor I would dare until I could prove it. Now if I would have known what he paid before he did, I would have mentioned the same thing.

Besides, he is not the only member who is looking for a franchise or could potentially do. Other people reading who are leaning on that direction, will have more information too think about during their venture.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Will, we need to have lunch some time..!
Bring an Adjuster or two with you. Will can wine and dine all of you and maybe get them to send work his way.
Yes, I'm serious.
In my area , the restoration guys have given the adjusters alot of perks under the table;):sneaky:(y):whistle:.
Around here it's never been what you know... but rather WHO you know for WDR.
Again I'm hoping for the best for Will... but I said before he should have jobs by now.
Adjusters go with the WDR guys that can do packouts and bring contaminated belongings back to a shop and clean and dry( Will runs his biz out of an apartment). What happens when Will needs to respond to another WDR but his limited drying equipment is tied up at another location? If I recall the drying equipment Will currently has ... he can dry out one basement and his equipment is busy.
Not trying to be negative here , but it sounds like he should have just bought 10k in WDR equip and stayed
independent. Promote WDR through his repeats and such. You will get calls. When they are insured and the adjuster comes around and see's you know what you are doing he won't kick you off the job and bring in his own guys. Then you start building a relationship with this adjuster and good things can happen.
Just my .02 cents guys

Reactions: johnp94

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
Emerald, thanks for the tips, this market place there is no need for kick backs or under the table payoffs..

The adjusters in this area are all good upstanding men and women with high moral character, and that's how we operate....

I've been operating in this industry as an Independent for nearly 20 years, it is who you know that's true.

Will is a new start up in a heavily saturated market already..
Most of the general contractors here have their own equipment and WTR certified workers that handle the projects they have..!

It's never easy taking a piece of pie from someone who earned it and is eating it.!!