Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
I will be purchasing a www.911restoration.com franchise tomorrow for my area. WDR is my next big step out. After attending Connections at Las Vegas last year and meeting and talking with a lot of people I knew that WDR would be my next big venture.

In my local area there is a ServPro, Service Master, Rainbow international, and a klean rite for franchises. There are a 3-4 independents. Their online marketing seems to be pretty weak, when you do a search for Missoula water damage https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1SAVC_enUS508US519&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=missoula+water+damage You only get 3 locations for google places.

Sometimes it only takes 1 job to make your whole year. Last month a toilet ran continuously all night in a high school and flooded a gymnasium. It was estimated it would take 2-3 weeks to dry out and the bill would be over $100k. Industry average net is 60% of gross in this industry after paying labor, insurance, franchise fees, and marketing. During winter of 2014 a boiler room had pipes burst and the same thing happened in another high school.

I was contacted by 911 restoration because they said they were getting 5-10 leads a week from their nation wide based marketing but had no one here to do the work. Once I sign on with them they will do more localized marketing so the number of leads should go up even more. That is the #1 thing I am wanting from a franchise is work sooner rather then later. I know from building a carpet business from the ground up you start out dead slow and build your way up. I am hoping to get a good start with this business and from talking to other 911 restoration franchise owners it sounds like I will. One guy I talked to in Michigan said he worked as an independent for 8 years before signing on. After those 8 years he has 2 vans and 2 employees and worked directly with his guys on the jobs. 1.5 years later he now has 4 vans 8 employees and delegates most of the work. His slowest month was 47,000 gross. His area has 1M people and my area only has 150,000 people so I don't expect to do as well as him.

So what I'm looking at is 5-10 leads a week without localized marketing and an average nation wide ticket price of 3500-5000 according to their database. I only need one job a month for the business to pay for itself. I don't expect to see much personal return until about 6 months from now as most of my profits will be going into buying more equipment and vans.

I'll be taking a tour of 911 restoration's corporate office tomorrow during my orientation and will post a few pictures here. I'll also be using this thread to update my experiences with this franchise here. The initial franchise buy in is $28,850 and I'll probably buy another 15-20k in equipment.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
After the initial buy in, how much are franchise fees? Do you pay monthly?

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
With that 10% how much do they put into advertising?

Do they have everything already produced?
I'm sure I will find out. The independent guy that bought a 911 franchise that I talked to over the phone said they quadrupled his business in less then 2 years after he had been in business for 8 years. If your annual gross gets to over $1m the franchise fee drops to 6%.

ohhundred

Feb 14, 2012
CA
Real Name
David K
Business Location
United States
I will be purchasing a www.911restoration.com franchise tomorrow for my area. WDR is my next big step out. After attending Connections at Las Vegas last year and meeting and talking with a lot of people I knew that WDR would be my next big venture.

In my local area there is a ServPro, Service Master, Rainbow international, and a klean rite for franchises. There are a 3-4 independents. Their online marketing seems to be pretty weak, when you do a search for Missoula water damage https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1SAVC_enUS508US519&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=missoula+water+damage You only get 3 locations for google places.

Sometimes it only takes 1 job to make your whole year. Last month a toilet ran continuously all night in a high school and flooded a gymnasium. It was estimated it would take 2-3 weeks to dry out and the bill would be over $100k. Industry average net is 60% of gross in this industry after paying labor, insurance, franchise fees, and marketing. During winter of 2014 a boiler room had pipes burst and the same thing happened in another high school.

I was contacted by 911 restoration because they said they were getting 5-10 leads a week from their nation wide based marketing but had no one here to do the work. Once I sign on with them they will do more localized marketing so the number of leads should go up even more. That is the #1 thing I am wanting from a franchise is work sooner rather then later. I know from building a carpet business from the ground up you start out dead slow and build your way up. I am hoping to get a good start with this business and from talking to other 911 restoration franchise owners it sounds like I will. One guy I talked to in Michigan said he worked as an independent for 8 years before signing on. After those 8 years he has 2 vans and 2 employees and worked directly with his guys on the jobs. 1.5 years later he now has 4 vans 8 employees and delegates most of the work. His slowest month was 47,000 gross. His area has 1M people and my area only has 150,000 people so I don't expect to do as well as him.

So what I'm looking at is 5-10 leads a week without localized marketing and an average nation wide ticket price of 3500-5000 according to their database. I only need one job a month for the business to pay for itself. I don't expect to see much personal return until about 6 months from now as most of my profits will be going into buying more equipment and vans.

I'll be taking a tour of 911 restoration's corporate office tomorrow during my orientation and will post a few pictures here. I'll also be using this thread to update my experiences with this franchise here. The initial franchise buy in is $28,850 and I'll probably buy another 15-20k in equipment.
What part of Los Angeles are there offices at?

E Tes

Jan 22, 2014
Real Name
John thoma
10% isn't bad.... I would pay 250.00 for my average wdr job of 2500.00 every week!! Great deal if they get you the leads

E Tes

Jan 22, 2014
Real Name
John thoma
Did they give you any equipment requirements??? Like minimum amount if equipment so many # of dehus and air movers ? Do you have to wrap ur trucks with their stuff?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
You're not going to be doing carpets anymore? Do you have to buy their products?

I passed up on a WD bid once because I didn't know anything about the process. Was $10k for a couple of days work.

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
Did they give you any equipment requirements??? Like minimum amount if equipment so many # of dehus and air movers ? Do you have to wrap ur trucks with their stuff?
I think I saw they recommended starting out with 4 dehumidifiers and 15 air movers. They've started out a lot of new franchises so I'm sure they know what they are doing and will follow their advice. I'm good at not reinventing the wheel.

I can buy the products through them or a distributor if I want. I was told it is probably cheaper through them since they have more buying power but I was free to buy from whoever I wanted. I would prefer if the equipment I bought had 911 branded logos on it for more branding purposes and for equipment tracking to cut down on theft or loss. I like how Servpro has all their equipment green for example. Wraps on vans or trailers is also mandatory.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
Will, Good for you. I think you will do well, as you seem to have the drive! Maybe you'll be the first person here to pay themselves more than a Doctor! I'm sure you're having an attorney look over the documents before you sign, right?

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
I'm still doing carpet cleaning. I will keep my experiences with this franchise updated here so that you guys will know if its any good or not. I've talked to a few franchise owners and they've been really happy so far.

Reactions: Dennis Anderson

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I'm still doing carpet cleaning. I will keep my experiences with this franchise updated here so that you guys will know if its any good or not. I've talked to a few franchise owners and they've been really happy so far.
Will where you staying at? I'm 10 miles from Van Nuys right now.

Latest posts