floor machine

grimel

Apr 18, 2010
TN
Real Name
George Rimel
Business Location
United States
Something 17" or 20" with 1 or 1.5hp motor. Pick the brand that looks coolest or has the best option set or on sale. Heavy is better than light.

clean it

Jul 18, 2010
New York
Real Name
mike
Business Location
United States
I want one for carpets, mostly residential. I have read that you can use one instead of an op machine. I don't see much difference in floor machine and op. maybe someone can explain the difference between both. i was told the one advantage is the wheels on the floor but am not clear as to why this would make it better.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Generally i would say it doesnt matter 175rpm are pretty much all same but for just residential carpet might want a smaller model 17in or even smaller to fit in tighter spaces and also think about weight for lifting up stairs.That would be the 2 factors for me

powerflite or
local janitorial supplier probably has some dirt cheap private label machines

Dont go nuts over this though floor buffers little difference to me anyway.We have 3 different brands and like the tennant the best because its really heavy but that would be bad for your purpose.

steam king

Apr 11, 2009
California
Real Name
Miguel Mayorga
Business Location
United States
The best floor machine I've ever owned was an old Clarke. I would recommend getting one between 13" to !7" a 19" or 20" is too big in residential settings. If you do VCT you might want to get a 2 speed floor machine; they can work as a buffer and a scrubber all in one machine.

steam king

Apr 11, 2009
California
Real Name
Miguel Mayorga
Business Location
United States
OP machines tend to cost a lot more than 175's and if you want it for agitation a 175 will do just fine. However as a stand alone cleaning machine an OP machine is known to provide better results.

clean it

Jul 18, 2010
New York
Real Name
mike
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys you definitely answered my question. So the op machine is better as a stand alone, and that is exactly what i need. I want to offer just op cleaning to my customers, I do not own a HWE. But will the op be enough to effectively clean carpets?

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys you definitely answered my question. So the op machine is better as a stand alone, and that is exactly what i need. I want to offer just op cleaning to my customers, I do not own a HWE. But will the op be enough to effectively clean carpets?

Trickier question then you think but yes, sort of

Steamking was right on as a stand alone then you want to go with a op, cimex or procaps machine. If the goal {locko} was pointing out to just pre-scrub or agitate prior to steam cleaning{regardless of portable/tm} then it is less important because you are using 2 steps with 1 step you need to get that 1 step right.also same with detergent with multiple steps and heat/vacuum detergent is less important but with 1 step you really want to go higher end and vacuum very thoroughly

See less steps then it is more important to get each step right and move at a moderate pace and use higher end detergents.When you are pre-scrubbing and extracting if you make a mistake 1 of the actions will cover for the other, should even out.

Kinda like a sliding scale the more you spend on equipment less human error and less physical labor but you can get to same place, sorta.

clean it

Jul 18, 2010
New York
Real Name
mike
Business Location
United States
so the buffer is good when your going to do the two step process you mentioned above. As far as op it sounds like it is a good idea to have a HWE just in case. But then again i know very little about op. The information i am seeking is literally whether or not an op machine can be used to clean carpets on its own, NO back up!
Also i have read posts where people claim to op with buffer 175 rpm.

thanks

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
productshot_sc6001.jpg

Love my 13" with telescopic handle. It would fit on the back of a motorbike.
Use 3M red pad or 13" Cimex pad.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Shane said it!

For 1 step cleaning go op with it. For agitation and commercial carpet a 175 will do just fine with the right pads, brushes, and/or bonnets. I have a 13" and a 17" 175 and find myself using the 17" a lot more even though it's a lot heavier.

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
Dude, I clean carpets every day. I clean the nastiest carpets ever seen....and I do so with a buffer, NOT an OP machine. You can ask this question a thousand times....

Go buy a used buffer and start there. Then, if you actually get busy enough, you can buy 50 OP machines.

Nothing cleans better than nothing regardless of what the salesman tells you. YOU are the key...not the tool.

I can clean carpets with a slinky and a tooth brush.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Dude, I clean carpets every day. I clean the nastiest carpets ever seen....and I do so with a buffer, NOT an OP machine. You can ask this question a thousand times....

Go buy a used buffer and start there. Then, if you actually get busy enough, you can buy 50 OP machines.

Nothing cleans better than nothing regardless of what the salesman tells you. YOU are the key...not the tool.

I can clean carpets with a slinky and a tooth brush.

just not at my house at yours that is fine

Latest posts