Floor Issue | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Floor Issue

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Did a restaurant last night with a concrete floor - used Unitex Neutral Floor Cleaner and a Tile Spinner 900 PSI with only water as the rinse.

Floor didn't look bad when leaving, but this morning get a call that about 27 spots like this have appeared.

We did another restaurant of the same chain two nights ago, with same cleaner etc, no issues. Any thoughts?

They said it seems to disappear when wet but comes back. Happened all over the restaurant, not located to one area.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
When you say spots "like this", do you have pics to share?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Someone spilled something, that's pretty obvious. Doesn't look at all like something done during the cleaning, unless your helper was dumping chems out onto the floor and then going over them with the spinner...?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
That would be odd if he did, I haven't spoken to him yet as I assume he's still sleeping

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
The problem is there is 30 of these spots ... wasn't there when cleaning that would be a lot of spills

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Looks like alkaline residue. Either that or an acid that etched the stain in the concrete.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I think it is residue, I listed the chemical used Unitex Neutral Floor cleaner which has a neutral pH.

I think it's possible we didn't get all the chemical off the floor of whatever they mopped with, so as it dried it left a residue because it had no dirt to emulsify

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Well...here at the restaurant now, nothing is working so far. Tried just water, then an alkaline rinse, and an acid rinse. No change whatsoever. Looks like something which ate away the finish.

Reactions: PistolPete

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
That greasecutter plus is sodium hydroxide ... Lye...and the dispenser for it is right next to the floor cleaner. Sigh.

• Sad
Reactions: Scott W

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Yup it's the greasecutter for sure.
Especially since it was obviously glugged out of the jug onto the floor.
I worked for Ecolab for several years.

Reactions: Mama Fen

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Well the bad part is, I'm sure they are going to blame me for it. The grease was covering it, it's a brand new restaurant, first time they've had the floors cleaned.

Guess I could try to encourage them to test it on their floor lol

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
With your pictures, I think you could fight it if they tried to blame it on you. Especially if you can back it up chemically - your product is designed not to damage finishes. The Greasecutter is not. And the shape of the spots makes it obvious they were manually decanted, not put down with a sprayer or worked with a spinner tool.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
If this gets serious, you can get an independent outside party as a flooring inspector. They can test for chemical residues and otherwise determine what happened to the floor. Might cost $200 to $300. If a 3rd party inspector is brought in, the side at fault usually pays.

www.nicfi.org is a website that should help you find an inspector in your area and see what type of floors they specialize in or are trained in. If you let me know your location, I may know an inspector in your area.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I'd you did the same process at their other locations then that should help build your case.
Stand your ground in this one, it's obviously not caused by your guy's.
Tough situation though. By being right you may lose the contract.
Is there a regional or district manager that you can get involved?
I would be preemptive and contact the senior management.
Set up a meeting at the store.
I would position myself as offering solutions rather than being defensive.
If you can fix it, offer that service at a good faith rate, or have a contractor lined up to help.
In no way own the damage.
You are there to help them with their floor damage.

Reactions: Scott W

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
It worked out, he admitted he knows his staff uses the greasecutter at times. I explained everything to him and why it is no bueno.

This is a case where having my IICRC license and plenty of referrals helps...not my first rodeo.

Just really caught me off guard at first.

Reactions: Mama Fen

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Found these chemicals they are using
I've seen these jugs in my restaurants also, but never stand alone. They always have to be part of dispensing system . Unfortunately, staff is not properly trained in all aspects of general maintenance, including tiles,carpeting and hardwood floors. I know, you'd say, give them right information and your life gets easier as well. This is tedious issue. First of all, corporate based accounts have a quarterly budget assigned to particular locations based on their performance . IMO, this is vicious circle. If your booths are dirty and the whole property appears unkempt, it's hard to expect lines of happy customers pouring in establishment. On the other hand, if you can't spent money for services being rendered, than as a GM you can't do a lot to change that. That's their perspective. I have to be involved in the process, but playing it smart, not to aggravate GM's or " unfriend" corporate officers. This relates to a problem presented by @ OxiFreshGuy. He wouldn't have to deal with situation and waste his valuable time to resolve problem he wasn't part of.
So, what is your experience in dealing with chain restaurants?
I service locations of 3 different chains and only one fits attributes I've mentioned.
How successful are you having on having impact in your locations for their betterment?