Floor ID, Stone or man made?

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
A customer used this on his condo hard floor to “seal it”.

3e0c29096ffc66b33c6b6f3dc9faa9a3.jpg

He moved out of it and is gonna rent it, we were going to clean the condo and the carpet, hard flooring just mopped, he didn’t want us to do “deep clean” it and sealing.

My wife and her crew are “make-ready” cleaning it today, she just sent me these photos of the floor and the customer who is away just told her what he used and to have me do whatever I have to do fix it. ‍♂️
My wife says floor is sticky.

Is it natural stone or man made? I will use GM to clean but want to come prepared to seal, I only have a enough sealer for the grout but if it’s natural stone then I’ll have to go get more sealer which I can’t really do, am already behind today.
What do you think? Natural or man made?
8f6563ca3a2902afc4a9caab947da613.jpg

ba7bfca9a48a6f15ba054b83a3f68494.jpg
6b4ac7b7afa3983c01e4b66dcfb2609e.jpg

b03a8c5ee9f8505ec3a398b5ed7f6140.jpg

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Man-made tiles will have some repeats, perhaps turned a different direction. That is an easy check. You can also take a steel nail and do a Moh's test in an inconspicuous place to see if man-made or natural and help you ID what stone.

From the photos, my guess is mad-made. Looks like some residue smeared on the surface. May require stripping or at least heavy duty cleaning to remove.

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
Man-made tiles will have some repeats, perhaps turned a different direction. That is an easy check. You can also take a steel nail and do a Moh's test in an inconspicuous place to see if man-made or natural and help you ID what stone.

From the photos, my guess is mad-made. Looks like some residue smeared on the surface. May require stripping or at least heavy duty cleaning to remove.

As always, you’re right on Scott.
It was man made, the owner applied lots of that sealer from Home Depot to the whole floor and left it there to dry, it was so not dry and sticky yesterday when we came to clean the place.
I used a stripper, scrubbed with 175 and red pad, sealer residue turned into a gunk, rinsed with spinner at 1000psi, floor looks like nothing happened now.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
As always, you’re right on Scott.
It was man made, the owner applied lots of that sealer from Home Depot to the whole floor and left it there to dry, it was so not dry and sticky yesterday when we came to clean the place.
I used a stripper, scrubbed with 175 and red pad, sealer residue turned into a gunk, rinsed with spinner at 1000psi, floor looks like nothing happened now.
Thanks for posting a follow up!

Reactions: Rico1