flojet pump blowing fuses after hours of use?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
www.mountainviewcarpetcare.com
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
had an odd one develop. have the standard flojet 4325-143 pump and pressure tank kit on the freshwater system. anyone ever see or hear of a motor failing in this way? it blew a fuse last month. checked wires, replaced. ran about 30 hours of carpet cleaning, popped another fuse. going to wire it direct and bypass the TM wiring just to test {again} but have never ran into this before. usually the pump motors die or you just get a bad pressure switch

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You should be cycling less and have less heat on the motor and wiring with a bladder tank on the output side. Having said that I would look into a heat on the wiring feeding the pump, sketchy connection, bad ground, worn wire insulation somewhere, etc...

We found wiring to the ignition switch works well, because the pump was always cut off when the TM was off and could never be left on all night, but could be accessed with the key in accessory position between off and start. Of course on its own fuse.

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
spent the past hour tracing and found exactly that. a smashed wire with only a couple strands on the 12v side making contact that ran to the pump. appeared to be creating resistance {or touching ground on vibrations} and thus the hot slow to blow but melted to a minor degree fuses. very easy to overlook without a bright light and running your fingers down the wires to trace.

no idea how that happened but re ran new 16ga ofc wire from the fuse box to the pump. the pump even sounds stronger now when doing its job.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Glad you found it!

Testing resistance with a meter will help find bad wires. Ohm out the bad wire and a good one for future reference... That type of cumulative knowledge is indispensable for future troubleshooting. If you are an old racebum I ain't tellin you anything new. Cheers

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
Glad you found it!

Testing resistance with a meter will help find bad wires. Ohm out the bad wire and a good one for future reference... That type of cumulative knowledge is indispensable for future troubleshooting. If you are an old racebum I ain't tellin you anything new. Cheers
you are actually. i did go broke racing when i was younger but i never learned that very obvious test method. makes sense. no idea why i didn't think of it. a bad connection or smashed wire like i had would test higher in ohms than a clean unbroken wire.

good advice ! thank you. that goes in the memory bank

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
You also could have used a continuity tester,
one lead into the pumps connector the other test lead to ground. You would have gotten a beep.

the ohm meter would be testing for resistance,

Go over kill and swap to a 14 gauge, more current flow and less resistance = cooler wire, I would wrap a nylon wire strap coil the harness/wires to protect.