Flex Seal Question...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
So I used a wire brush attachment on a drill to grind down the bottom of my waste tank and applied Flex Seal to retard further erosion. I was pleasantly surprised that under the extreme vacuum of a waste tank it has held up.

So my question is, when I get a new TM, would you recommend that I apply Flex Seal directly to the smooth surface of the bottom of the waste tank or should I use the wire brush attachment to scratch the surface to make the Flex Seal have more grip?

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
Nothing will stick to a smooth surface. I would sand it with 600 grit sand paper, wipe it down with lacquer thinner a few times and then coat with a good quality roll on bed liner or por 15.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
good suggestion. I have long arms but I can barely reach the bottom of the waste tank with a drill and wire brush attachment. No way could I get down that far to sand it.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
aluminum tank will last 10-15 years...then corrosion sets in.....

i have the same problem........i may replace it....
or get a welder to rewed the bottom...royal pain......

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I used undercoating that is used for cars when my tank first started to leak from corrosion and it worked for about 1-2 years. I would reseal it about every 6 months but eventually it got too bad to fill in the holes.You got to the clean the bottom as good as possible let it dry for a day and then spray the undercoating on the bottom and then let dry for a couple of days. Pain in the a**. I bought about 4 cans of undercoating and just sprayed it down on the bottom and let it dry. No sanding.

I eventually got tired of that BS and had Jon Don take the tank out. Then I took it to a welding shop and had a new bottom put in. That was about 5 years ago and I have had no problems with it since.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
good suggestion. I have long arms but I can barely reach the bottom of the waste tank with a drill and wire brush attachment. No way could I get down that far to sand it.
An orbital sander duck taped to a piece of pipe, it works. You could also get an extension for the drill.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke