Flex ICE the only powdered acid rinse?? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Flex ICE the only powdered acid rinse??

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Is Flex ICE the only powdered acid rinse?

Here is one thing chem wise I think is missing in the industry.

I want a really safe, non toxic, eco friendly powdered acid rinse. It doesnt need to clean super well we always pre spray... just want it to smell nice and fresh and give the benefits of a low pH rinse.

something very cost effective, and doubles as a light deodorizer just to leave a fresh scent while cleaning.

something made of citric acid would prob work well, citric acid comes in a powder... theres a product called pH down but its for growing not carpet cleaning.

@rob allen

Reactions: rob allen and admin

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
Can I ask why a powdered rinse? More cost effective? I personally use an off brand which is I think a 3ph but it smells good and is only $10 per gallon which mixes into 20 gallons.

Reactions: Big_Joe and Allied

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Citric acid in a formula with surfactants turns into a brick. Trust me I tried it. Sulfamic acid was the only acid that I found could work in Flex Ice. It is not a problem free product, but when used with soft water, it is an amazing cleaning rinse on the acid side. It also hardens a little over time, but if you drop the jar on its side from a few feet it breaks up the powder. We did add a small amount of fragrance to neutralize the odor of the sulfamic acid. We tried over a dozen fragrances to find one that did not sour over time or contribute to the hardening.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Is Flex ICE the only powdered acid rinse?

Here is one thing chem wise I think is missing in the industry.

I want a really safe, non toxic, eco friendly powdered acid rinse. It doesnt need to clean super well we always pre spray... just want it to smell nice and fresh and give the benefits of a low pH rinse.

something very cost effective, and doubles as a light deodorizer just to leave a fresh scent while cleaning.

something made of citric acid would prob work well, citric acid comes in a powder... theres a product called pH down but its for growing not carpet cleaning.

@rob allen
How about a neutral rinse?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Predict

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
I bought a tub of flex ice, and while I think it did a good job, I ended up burning through it faster than I would with a normal rinse...not sure if my chemical metering is jacked up, but it seemed to go WAY faster than usual.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Directions for all of our powdered rinses are the same. The scoops included measure volume not weight. Some products compress more readily than others over time. You can have two products that both weigh 6.5 pounds, but the volume after settling can be different. We always try to pick a weight that fills close to the top when packaging. We fill jars of powder from 5.5 pounds to 8 pounds. You can limit settling by shaking a jar of powder before measuring. This will increase the volume temporarily and will be the volume that we test in the lab as we develop the product. Compression happens over time and most of it occurs in storage.

Reactions: vibra vacster

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I bought a tub of flex ice, and while I think it did a good job, I ended up burning through it faster than I would with a normal rinse...not sure if my chemical metering is jacked up, but it seemed to go WAY faster than usual.
I find that I go through liquid or powder extraction rinses very quickly, probably cause I use my rotary or zipper pretty often. Good thing extraction rinses are pretty cheap, I just have to keep an eye on the bottles to make sure I have enough for the day.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Directions for all of our powdered rinses are the same. The scoops included measure volume not weight. Some products compress more readily than others over time. You can have two products that both weigh 6.5 pounds, but the volume after settling can be different. We always try to pick a weight that fills close to the top when packaging. We fill jars of powder from 5.5 pounds to 8 pounds. You can limit settling by shaking a jar of powder before measuring. This will increase the volume temporarily and will be the volume that we test in the lab as we develop the product. Compression happens over time and most of it occurs in storage.
Hey Tom, why do you guys recommended that we mix flex ice in cold or warm water? I use a bleeder line off my tm to fill up my 5 gallon extraction tank so I have to use hot water in the middle of a job sometimes.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
We were not consistent on our label. In one place we say mix with cold or hot water for easy mixing. We say to mix with cold or warm water at head pack concentrations. We say to mix with hot water at portable dilutions. I believe it is an editing issue. I do not remember any issues but that was 2 years ago. However, I will need to check and see if we saw issues with hot water at head pack (1 to 40) dilutions. What is your water temperature from your truckmount bleeder line? 180 degrees F, 200 degrees F, etc.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
We were not consistent on our label. In one place we say mix with cold or hot water for easy mixing. We say to mix with cold or warm water at head pack concentrations. We say to mix with hot water at portable dilutions. I believe it is an editing issue. I do not remember any issues but that was 2 years ago. However, I will need to check and see if we saw issues with hot water at head pack (1 to 40) dilutions. What is your water temperature from your truckmount bleeder line? 180 degrees F, 200 degrees F, etc.
190F degrees or so...

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Man I switched from AllFiber Rinse to TripleSSS's acidic rinse because it could be locally purchased (convenience) and I didn't have the foaming issues I had with AFR......but then the SSS stuff had a reaction with the brass fittings in my TM I think turning the water in my solution tank bronze I think. My machine constantly bypasses water to the solution tank. Scared the ish outta me. Now I just use plain ole water to rinse. The water in my area and home is on the milder side luckily. Another good development is I've combined a couple 10ph or lower products that clean better or as well as high ph stuff so I'm not leaving the carpet nuclear with a plain water rinse I reason. Now the Olefin prespray I use sometimes in commercial settings is the highest I go. A lot of the high ph crap I have left I use as spotters.

Reactions: Common janitor

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Citric acid in a formula with surfactants turns into a brick. Trust me I tried it. Sulfamic acid was the only acid that I found could work in Flex Ice. It is not a problem free product, but when used with soft water, it is an amazing cleaning rinse on the acid side. It also hardens a little over time, but if you drop the jar on its side from a few feet it breaks up the powder. We did add a small amount of fragrance to neutralize the odor of the sulfamic acid. We tried over a dozen fragrances to find one that did not sour over time or contribute to the hardening.
Thanks for the reply Tom. All fiber rinse I believe has citric acid in it, doesn't It?

My issue with flex ice is this... if me or a tech are cleaning stairs, especially in an enclosed area is there any health risk with the ingredients in flex ice?

I don't mind stronger pre spray, but rinse I'm more careful with what is vaporizing in the homes. Personally I think a lot of extraction detergents are not that particularly safe to be eating in the face when cleaning stairs etc.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Pre spray is sprayed cold not steamed, and it's then we'll rinsed out. Basically I worry about running heavier chems at high temps (220-240f)

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
All of our powdered rinse labels say to add to cold or warm water in the headpack. At a 1 to 20 dilution, dumping the powder into very hot water results in upward pressure spilling out alot of water. I did this in a beaker and half of it made its way quickly out of a beaker. Adding it Ready to Use to a hot water in a portable at 1 to 640 is not the same thing as 1 to 20. All of these products mix well so there is no need to add hot water.

https://labels.interlinksupply.com/cc29a_blazin_blue.pdf https://labels.interlinksupply.com/cc10a_fiber_plus.pdf
https://labels.interlinksupply.com/cc225a_flex_fire.pdf
https://labels.interlinksupply.com/cc19a_flex_ice.pdf

Reactions: Jose Holguin