First year with a truckmount in the COLD!!!

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
i used to just clean with VLM during the winter months when it gets too cold to run water lines. that worked good. but the last two years i just have been running my vacuum hose from my van, then bring electric carpet cleaning pump inside and hook from faucet to pump to cleaning solution hose...no water lines outside...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
The cold got my pressure regulator today, and my chemical injection gauge cracked.
I think I'm going to shut down for the rest of the winter?!

this takes 20 minutes to install. no damage to TM yet

Reactions: Wec

Lau

Aug 3, 2012
Real Name
Laurian Ureche
9f01720bf50112809d5f1f897576d6d0.jpg

I use a remote thermometer sensor so I can read the temp in the van which is Parked in my garage with a heater inside. Right now is -17 °C outside.... Today I did a job with -15 and my solution hose froze before I could start spraying! I had to take it into the customer house and immerse it in hot water in the laundry sink . It worked but from now on I will try and wait for warmer days... if you really need to work in those Temps I would recommend to get the hose out only when u are ready to use it. Once u get the water flowing is gonna be ok.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
9f01720bf50112809d5f1f897576d6d0.jpg

I use a remote thermometer sensor so I can read the temp in the van which is Parked in my garage with a heater inside. Right now is -17 °C outside.... Today I did a job with -15 and my solution hose froze before I could start spraying! I had to take it into the customer house and immerse it in hot water in the laundry sink . It worked but from now on I will try and wait for warmer days... if you really need to work in those Temps I would recommend to get the hose out only when u are ready to use it. Once u get the water flowing is gonna be ok.
How far away is the van?

Kleenit

Feb 4, 2015
Real Name
Robert Powell
It's minus 23 here in Barrie Ontario area and I run my truck all year so I have learned to clean in freezing and even snow storm conditions...a few pointers which help me are
1. Keep your truck warm and sheltered in a heated garage or with a good ceramic heater safely positioned in the truck
2. I put a digital thermometer with an outside station which stays in the truck and another on the inside with a temperature alarm which sounds when it has fallen to your selected threshold temperature...mine is set to 5 degrees Celsius
3. Keep your truck with heat running until you are ready to set up after your customer consultation and inspection
4. I have a Sapphire 370 side mount so I turn off my truck and turn on the console ....after a few minutes of warming up I turn on the water pump with the console full throttle....I partially obstruct the vaccuum port with an object to reduce airflow so the water heats up quickly
5. I set up for the job with the water line getting set up last...the water line lead hose gets set up from the inside furthest point in the home and work outward to connect to the truck so the water hose has minimum exposure to the cold. I put a open quick connect on the end of my water line. I also have an adjustable valve at the tip on my water line to turn off or turn on my water flow...I leave the line slightly open with the end of the hose in a sink or a bucket. When I hook up the truck end of the line the water is hot and flows through to the inside bucket...your water line will stay hot all through the job...
This has worked well for me...used to get so frustrated with trading off frozen water lines on a job
I also put open end quick connects on all wands, stair, upholstery tools, Rotovac, grout cleaning equipment...this way their lines won't be damaged in the unlikely case of being exposed to freezing temps
Bottom live...always keep your truck warm and never allow your water lines to freeze and never allow your equipment for freeze.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using TMF Forums mobile app

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
It's minus 23 here in Barrie Ontario area and I run my truck all year so I have learned to clean in freezing and even snow storm conditions...a few pointers which help me are
1. Keep your truck warm and sheltered in a heated garage or with a good ceramic heater safely positioned in the truck
2. I put a digital thermometer with an outside station which stays in the truck and another on the inside with a temperature alarm which sounds when it has fallen to your selected threshold temperature...mine is set to 5 degrees Celsius
3. Keep your truck with heat running until you are ready to set up after your customer consultation and inspection
4. I have a Sapphire 370 side mount so I turn off my truck and turn on the console ....after a few minutes of warming up I turn on the water pump with the console full throttle....I partially obstruct the vaccuum port with an object to reduce airflow so the water heats up quickly
5. I set up for the job with the water line getting set up last...the water line lead hose gets set up from the inside furthest point in the home and work outward to connect to the truck so the water hose has minimum exposure to the cold. I put a open quick connect on the end of my water line. I also have an adjustable valve at the tip on my water line to turn off or turn on my water flow...I leave the line slightly open with the end of the hose in a sink or a bucket. When I hook up the truck end of the line the water is hot and flows through to the inside bucket...your water line will stay hot all through the job...
This has worked well for me...used to get so frustrated with trading off frozen water lines on a job
I also put open end quick connects on all wands, stair, upholstery tools, Rotovac, grout cleaning equipment...this way their lines won't be damaged in the unlikely case of being exposed to freezing temps
Bottom live...always keep your truck warm and never allow your water lines to freeze and never allow your equipment for freeze.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using TMF Forums mobile app
Great information for the guys cleaning in sub freezing temperatures.

Lau

Aug 3, 2012
Real Name
Laurian Ureche
What model number is it please?
Is an accurite which I bought at home depot! Basic model, nothing fancy, range for the sensor about 150 feet or so they say... was about $15. If u need longer range or alarms u can check online.... amazon has a few models. Very convenient for me as I don't have to go and check the van a few times a day...

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Is an accurite which I bought at home depot! Basic model, nothing fancy, range for the sensor about 150 feet or so they say... was about $15. If u need longer range or alarms u can check online.... amazon has a few models. Very convenient for me as I don't have to go and check the van a few times a day...
The trouble I have with the temperature gauges is it won't send the signal through my trailer when it's closed up

Latest posts