First year with a truckmount in the COLD!!!

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
If I had to keep it outside I would use 2 heaters one behind seats if there is room and one a few feet from back door. On separate breakers (very important).

The only time I ever froze my van was when I thought I'd be extra careful and run 2 heaters, I didn't even think about it and as soon as I went to bed the breaker must have tripped. It was about 5 degrees that night, not good.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Midwest.
Wind chills at -30*?
Wind chill will have no effect on your equipment. Wind chill is only applicable to living tissue. So, what is the lowest actual temperature you would expect to deal with??

If you van is going to be sitting for a few days I will tell you what I did with mine. I went to Harbor Freight and bought some moving blankets. I also purchased a very large tarp that was large enough to fit under the rear wheels and then pull the entire tarp over the entire van with enough extra to roll up some to put in front of the front wheels. Put a heater in the van. Now put the moving blankets so that they drape over the sides from the top of the van. You will need about 6 blankets to do it properly. Cover the top and sides. Now back your van onto the large tarp to where the rear wheels will hold the tarp down. Then pull the tarp over the van. Roll up the excess and place it just in front of the front wheels. Drive over the rolled up tarp about a foot or so and the entire van should be resting on the tarp. Now take cinder blocks and weigh the sides of the tarp down so that wind will not get under it. Doing this kept my van at 50 degrees F while the outside temperature hovered around 0 Degrees F. You should also put a wireless thermometer in the van so that you can monitor the temperature. It is best if you use one that has alerts that can send them to your phone, but you can get cheaper ones that just transmit the temperature to a receiving unit. Make sure you don't have flammables near your heater.

Check out how the van is wrapped in the picture in Post #3 or 4 and you can see how I did it. https://www.truckmountforums.com/threads/my-van-wrap-new-picture-coming-soon.68330/#post-923517

Last edited:

mjb4ex

Apr 29, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Butler

Attachments

• c6fea99e24302ed73102d150c683ef7c.jpg
    c6fea99e24302ed73102d150c683ef7c.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 145
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Winter+sucks+here+i+want+arizona+better+yet+florida_8e971c_5033752.png
    Winter+sucks+here+i+want+arizona+better+yet+florida_8e971c_5033752.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 154

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
The only time I ever froze my van was when I thought I'd be extra careful and run 2 heaters, I didn't even think about it and as soon as I went to bed the breaker must have tripped. It was about 5 degrees that night, not good.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app
That's why I'm using 2 breakers right now.

TopJobROd

Apr 11, 2013
Des Moines Iowa
Real Name
Rod Snyder
Business Location
United States
When I clean while it is below 10 degrees or so I have problems with the recovery hose building up ice, I went out and bought a box of flex duct (insulated flexible ducting for home heating and air conditioning systems) so that I run my solution hose and recovery hose through it and that helps a lot. First year I had the truckmount I had two electric heaters inside and a wireless remote temp sensor just to monitor. A lot of anxiety over equipment being damaged, I used SUNHEAT heaters, best and most efficient heaters I have found. I read on here a while back that one of the members uses sections of metal ductwork and directs the exhaust from the blower/engine down the ductwork to help keep the hoses from freezing, must really suck to live in canada with those low temps they have there.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
When I clean while it is below 10 degrees or so I have problems with the recovery hose building up ice, I went out and bought a box of flex duct (insulated flexible ducting for home heating and air conditioning systems) so that I run my solution hose and recovery hose through it and that helps a lot. First year I had the truckmount I had two electric heaters inside and a wireless remote temp sensor just to monitor. A lot of anxiety over equipment being damaged, I used SUNHEAT heaters, best and most efficient heaters I have found. I read on here a while back that one of the members uses sections of metal ductwork and directs the exhaust from the blower/engine down the ductwork to help keep the hoses from freezing, must really suck to live in canada with those low temps they have there.
Have you ever seen a flat panel heater. I run 3 of them in my trailer attached to the walls connected to a thermostat. Less than 13 amps for all three. Look here.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
If you look close under the 575 you can see a insulation board. Keeps the floor temperature off the heat exchanger. I'm getting the floor sprayed hopefully soon with closed cell foam insulation. I loose extra heat through the floor. The rest of the trailer is insulated.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
That's what people say.... but then people are stupid :) .
Up in the northwest here, I winterize the TM and drain the lines after every day. If it's below 15, I just use a good port system indoors or wait for a warmer day!
Didn't you say you were from the north west? Be easy on yourself. Not stupid just mind challenged lol