First time carpet cleaning. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

First time carpet cleaning.

JanMan

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Jack Connor
Hello, I own a small janitorial company and a new account I have has carpeting, which they want cleaned. I only have a side by side, what exact chemicals/pads, etc would you recommend I use? I don't have a solution fed attachment for the side by side, so Im assuming I would need a hand held gallon pump spray? Ive stripped/deep scrubbed an untold number of sq ft with the side by side over the years, but never once for carpet. Thanks again for your recommendations.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Hire a professional, encapsulating with a side by side isn't carpet cleaning.

Reactions: Fedri

JanMan

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Jack Connor
No response is better than your garbage one.

The offices are located on the 3rd floor and the entrance doorways to the building are not allowed to remain open, in fact, after the building closes(only time it can be cleaned) if the doors remain open for more then one minute an alarm goes off. So VLM is really the only option.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Whats a side by side? 175? So many names for these things.

Chems depend on filth. Lots of coffee go with peroxide. oily traffic go with one with more degreasers in it. But you will probably need both. I liked to keep the peroxide mixed up in a spray bottle just for spots here and there. And use regular encap for the bulk of the cleaning. Check out Bonnet Pro. Release-it, VacAway...
But bonnet pro carries the bonnets you'll need.

Cotton bonnets. Cotton works best at removing soil and moisture. Get your red fiber pads out for scrubbing bad areas.
Largest pump-up you can find 3 gsl or whatever. Or get creative with electric sprayers and a reservoir. (Buckets and a pump)

Main thing is do not run pads on dry carpet. Thats the only big issue.
If its real bad you might want to get a walk behind to rinse out the carpet and have the buffer following right behind with bonnets. Some encaps are dual purpose for vlm and extraction rinse or presprays.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat

The offices are located on the 3rd floor and the entrance doorways to the building are not allowed to remain open, in fact, after the building closes(only time it can be cleaned) if the doors remain open for more then one minute an alarm goes off. So VLM is really the only option.
just because the doors need to be closed doesn't mean vlm is the only option. You can bring in a portable inside and do a proper carpet cleaning called hot water extraction on those filthy carpets.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Lots of coffee go with peroxide.
actually I loaded up with Stain 1 prior to cleaning a GCD with tons of coffee stains. All came out with regular cleaning

But to answer the guys question, it be best to get a picture of the carpet to find out what condition its in. May be able to vlm but most likely need to HWE it first time around.

Reactions: keep it clean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Pick up some SuperCap with Unchained and it will handle it all. In meantime if you need help feel free to message me for my cell and I'll mentor you along.

Reactions: sbsscn

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Red and blue scrub pads, cotton bonnets, and a pump sprayer will get you going. For bonnet and encap cleaning I really like Iron Man bonnets and Revive It Rocket, both from Bonnet Pro.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States

My response isn't garbage. Chances are the carpet you're taking on is heavily soiled and without experience you're potentially making a bigger mess for yourself. You wouldn't like it if carpet cleaners started doing the janitorial work would you?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
VLM isn't your only option. A high powered portable such as a Nautilus or Mytee is what you'll need. So unless you're prepared to drop $4,000-$5,000 on one, you aren't really going to be doing a great job.

My advice - HIRE A PROFESSIONAL the first time. VLM after because thats what VLM is. It might be called Very Low Moisture cleaning but in my mind its Very Light Maintenance cleaning.

I did VLM for years, it can't clean anywhere near as deeply as HWE (Hot Water Extraction).

If you're going to have an attitude then sure, go ahead and bonnet cap it, let me know when you lose the account.

Reactions: sbsscn

Tom Stefan

Jun 26, 2012
IL
www.atcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Tomasz Stefan
Business Location
United States
I've been there, 15 years ago. I was janitorial company owner, and I was asked to clean carpet for one of my account (CGD), at the time encapsulation wasn't an option, so I happily rented portable extractor and without proper now-how I cleaned it, and like someone mentioned in the previous post I ended up with more mess.
I was lucky, because the business owner gave me the chance to redo the job, so with help from jondon and proper chems, I redid the job, the result was great. I still clean this janitorial account, and also since then I started carpet cleaning.
Good luck.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I just get tired of people thinking carpet cleaning is some ultra simple process of slapping on a bonnet and throwing a little "chems" on the carpet.

They ruin it for the professionals because then these places don't ever want to hire carpet cleaning and worse...think the professionals are too "expensive" even though the reality is we save them money in the long run.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I just get tired of people thinking that they can ask questions on a chat board with truely knowledgeable people and then slam their answers just cause they dont like what they say.

JanMan

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Jack Connor
Calm down Oxi, me cleaning 300sq ft of carpet probably 1000 miles away from you isn't going to effect your bottomline. lol The whole place is 7K of VCT, minus the waiting room, which is maybe 300 sq ft of carpet.

If you got an account maintaining/cleaning 7K sq ft of carpet and was asked to clean a 300 sq ft VCT break room there, I wouldn't tell you to hire a professional(which would be a competitor in my area) or spend thousands on equipment for it. A reasonable person, who is on a message board, supposedly looking to increase their knowledge and help others along the way, would say, look, I personally would hire a professional, but if don't go that route, heres a cost effective way to get good results, while learning a new skill set, in case something like this comes up again.

Everyone else, thank you for the suggestions, especially Rob, if I ever start adding more carpet, who better to talk to then the guru himself and I will definitely order what you suggested for the next one.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
A reasonable person, would've A. already specified 300 sq ft, your post misled us to believe the entire account was carpet of offices on a 3rd floor, not 300 sq ft.

B. I'm not worried about you affecting my bottom line, but I do go behind janitorial companies constantly and/or have them rip accounts away from me because they quote a 50% cheaper price and start VLM which at first looks to the client like a good deal because I kept the carpet damn clean until about a year or two later when the carpet ends up chemically/soil overloaded and fibers abraded and now I am magically supposed to fix it for them.

C. I'm all for people learning. I don't have time to ascertain all the important questions from you on the forum. Funny thing is though, even for 300 sq ft, it would still be easier for you to hire a professional. $100, watch what he does, that is the best way to learn. You want all the benefit without the risk.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I think weve all been there, done that. Get a nice accounts carpet looking like new again after severe neglect only to have them go with a cheaper price and then call you back a few years later and expect you to jump at the chance to do it all over again.

JanMan

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Jack Connor
Im on the janitorial side, so trust me Oxi, when I say, anyone who owns a mop bucket and simply knows an illegal, can be in business underbidding everyone tomorrow. You ever thought about offering a VLM program marketed as interim cleaning for some of your commercial accounts? For some reason, and Im not saying this is you, but many business owners simply won't give their clients what they want. If a client has budget issues and wants a less expensive option such as VLM cleaning, then give them exactly that. In the commercial world, you'd be surprised what people are willing to live with as long as they come in under budget.

I do it all the time with deep scrubs, is it as good as a full strip, no, but its a cost effective option that still provides very good results and just as important, Im still the only contact for the facility, etc. Because once you give the gatekeeper an out to look elsewhere, its hard to get back in and contrary to popular opinion, not everyone else but "you/me" sucks.

JonS

Oct 16, 2020
Real Name
Albert O’Connor
Red and blue scrub pads, cotton bonnets, and a pump sprayer will get you going

JonS

Oct 16, 2020
Real Name
Albert O’Connor
I live in a large country house I have a large yard where I can clean my own carpets and not only. I recently picked up a high pressure washer for myself https://cleanup.expert/best-pressure-washers/ it is too powerful for carpets, but you can regurilovat power. This way I save money and time.