First Tile and Grout job

Gemcleans

Apr 18, 2009
Elkhart, In.
Real Name
Alan Thornton
Business Location
United States
A lady called and wanted me to clean her grout in 2 bathrooms. Did a demo with Tilemaster and told her the grout is gray. She called me back and said she thought it looked better and wanted the master bath done too.
I was just going to do it by hand and rinse it well. I found out I could rent a spinner and machine with 1000 psi for $75. a day. Well getting everything set up and use to running, I did 3 bathrooms in 2 1/2 hours from set up to tear down, $250. and I am going back tomorrow afternoon to seal.
Getting payed to learn, now that's what I like.

Do you guys seal on the same day you clean?
What kind of sealer do you use?

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States
Yes you can seal the same day. Get it as dry as possible, put fans down to dry as much as possible.

Be sure to use an impregnating sealer. You don't want to put topical sealer on it. As far as brand of sealer, depends what's available near you. Or you can order some from interlink or stone pro.

Carpet Lady

May 15, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Christine
Business Location
United States
Scott, I have a question, will the good sealer bead when dry if something is spilled. Can we apply after cleaning with a grout wand. I do use fans to dry a bit but some lines are not completely dry.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
If I have to wait an hour or 2 its not gonna be same day. Cant sit idle that long. out of those 2 I would get the better sealer. I use a sealer that can be applied while still there. if not I wouldn't use it. wipe up excess very good with any sealer especially on ceramic. Most of it is just sitting on top of tile not penetrating. Process is to leave wet until you wipe. allow the sealer to soak in all it can take then clean up the rest. Some use a 175 and bonnet if a large area and you have one handy to rub up sealer. I like solvent but draw back is smell.

Reactions: Jimmy Hitt

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott, I have a question, will the good sealer bead when dry if something is spilled. Can we apply after cleaning with a grout wand. I do use fans to dry a bit but some lines are not completely dry.

Most grout sealers will bead water when recently applied. Some will also bead oil. Over time with aging, wear and the cleaning agents used, scrubbing and so forth, they will continue to provide some protection but not the full level. So, beading will decline.

Hot beverages can get past the surface tension change that causes beading because heat lowers surface changes. Liquid dropped from a greater height also has additional energy or force that can overcome surface tension. So a cup of water dropped from 4' off the floor will not bead to the same extent a few drops of water placed on the grout line in a demo.

Beading is a good way to estimate the protection provided by a sealer but it is not 100% total accurate or the full picture.

Cameron DeMille

May 15, 2015
Real Name
Cameron DeMille
To add to what Scott is saying, you really need to wait 24 hours, or minimum overnight to truly test the sealer. Any sealer will bead right after you apply it. You don't NEED to do this, but when you have the opportunity to do so, it is good so you understand what you are using better.

Latest posts