First rug cleaning, any advice?

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
6BA51D0A-8BDB-46BC-81D2-0CAD81B3C2A4.jpeg
4CDC9800-1A37-4225-968B-B400C554ED86.jpeg
I got my first rug cleaning to do. I’ve cleaned a bit of carpet. I have a TCS Brave truckmount, an Oreck Orbiter for agitation, and a lot of TMF products and BridgePoint products. What would be recommended for cleaning this rug? The little green machine is from where the homeowner tried cleaning it before having me come to do it.

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
I would not clean it on the floors right there but other than that you can’t hurt that rug. I would use Robs secret formula and should be good to go.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Poly rug so you don't have to dumb down the chems, you can mix it hot and let it eat. I clean those regularly on site over hardwood, but I know my equipment. I zip through those and charge .50 on site, dries in 2 hours on average usually before I finish the rest of the job.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The only concern I would have if there is any cotton or other synthetic blend in the welts, as I noticed some warping or shape distortion on your photo if so it might curl up more or in areas like the corners or other places where there was none, please explain the possibility of this occurring to your client of its pre existing condition and possible more occurring. Place a plastic liner or plastic drop cloth under the rug to protect the hardwood floor, cover the hardwood floor to prevent scratches and damages from your hoses, have rags handy to wipe up any spills or over sprays. If there are any pets in the house please disclose possible odors after the cleaning, You could up sell a deodorant but DO NOT promise odor control. I find that odor control is best achieved in full submersion (off site cleaning)
There are times when Ill lightly mist some Hydrocide on the underside of the rug, That way as it dries it will wick up and encapsulate some of the odor. if there are pets in the house I will lightly apply a mild oxidizer like CTI's Oxygen release blended with Hydrocide on the underside and on the facing side, and give the underside a quick pass but do not over saturate and post spray hydrocide on the underside. The wonderful thing about Olefin (polypropylene) is that it is hydrophobic and does not like water, and usually dries quick. I find that using my Bonzer works really good at breaking the carbon bond of oily soils to Poly's. Having weights or something to hold the borders or corners down helps a lot

If you do use a aggressive pre spray do not forget to balance the PH during the rinsing. extract well and if possible float the rug with air movers while putting tools away, check under plastic to be sure no tears are present along with moisture/water ( You Do NOT want water saturating the floor) explain and give drying instructions to the customer and ask for them to recycle the plastic after the rug is dry. Collect your money. have them sign your invoice.

I charge $1.50-3.50 <- super dirty or pet issues) per sq ft (with an average of $1.70-$2.00 )for onsite cleaning with a minimum of $150.00 if it is severe I wont clean onsite, ill take it with me and charge a much higher rate.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Bravo

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I would just like to add something and this is very important. Tags!
Same goes with tags/cleaning instructions on upholstery. I always told my guys to NEVER trust a tag. Those tags are put on by people you don't know and half of them are usually wrong so you have no idea if it is the correct tag, or not unless you test the piece. Or have lots of experience where you are a true expert and can tell instantly just from looking at it.

If you are going to call yourself a "Professional" then you damn well better learn how to test and then trust those tests (Yes there are more than one). Once you do your confidence will soar and so will your profits.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo