First Job. Newbie tips w/ equipment. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

First Job. Newbie tips w/ equipment.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
I cleaned this lady's exterior/interior windows(2 story) for $400 bucks.

Now she hired me to clean the carpets of her 2 living rooms and 1 flight of stairs. Saturday.
carpets are clean, not sure what kind yet. gonna go to carpet store tomorrow and do some research.

I purchased an Oreck Orbiter on Amazon.
I'm renting a HWE from a local supplier.
I plan to rent the HWE early and use it on my house.

CRITIQUE MY STEPS

TOOLS:
Rented HWE
Oreck Orbiter
Prespray
Vacuum
Sprayer

step 1. Vacuum
step 2. prespray (dwell 15 min)
step 3. Agitate with Oreck
step 4. HWE
step 5. ????

QUESTIONS:
1. should i post bonnet to dry it faster? or am I finished after step 4?
2. Any other tools I should bring along? brushes
3. What pads or brushes should I get for Oreck? for Agitation and for Encap stairs. same pad?
4. I recently purchased encap solution. is prespray w/ orbiter different from encap w/ orbiter.
*very NEWBIE questions...my apologies

I just want to do the best job possible....

Last edited:

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
Do you know what type of machine they're renting to you? Either the model name or the specs, psi etc?
I'm renting it from the best carpet cleaning store in my area. I've been there a couple of times and they're super helpful and friendly.

But no idea, I'm sure they'll give me something good. They told me they'd let me practice on a carpet in the back room before I take it out.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
I'm renting it from the best carpet cleaning store in my area. I've been there a couple of times and they're super helpful and friendly.

But no idea, I'm sure they'll give me something good. They told me they'd let me practice on a carpet in the back room before I take it out.

good question, I'll stop by there tomorrow and see what they got. They buy used eqiupment and rent it til they sell it, so I'm not sure if they have a particular machine all the time

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I'm working in Vegas a couple days next week if you want to come ride along with me. I usually work in Vegas a couple days a week, just let me know if you are ever interested.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
I'm working in Vegas a couple days next week if you want to come ride along with me. I usually work in Vegas a couple days a week, just let me know if you are ever interested.
heck yes. yes. awesome. I'll message you. Sounds great.
Definitely need to do that. I asked a few companies online and they just told me to get certified, but the the class isn't for another month.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Just be careful last time Todd offered a ride a long he got hungry and ate the guy.

:D

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Okay , now for a serious answer . GET WITH TODD !!
I have never had the honor of shaking this mans hand but have followed his counsel . He has NEVER steered me WRONG .
A most genuine and GOOD MAN . JMHO .
All the Best, Ed

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Definitely need to do that. I asked a few companies online and they just told me to get certified, but the the class isn't for another month.

The people that told you that are dopes. Certified is one thing. QUALIFIED is something else.
Damn near every bait -n- switch operation is certified. Don't go by that bullshit.

Reactions: Allied

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
First off definitely take Todd up on his offer - but I don't think that's going to help you for this Saturday.

Prespray and Encap are different types of chemicals, although some Encap chems do work as pre-sprays reasonably well. Prespray is a generally high-pH detergent that will emulsify greases and oils and allow them to be rinsed clean with HWE. Encap is a close to neutral solution that binds soil up and hardens into a film or crystal to be vacuumed away later.

For the Oreck for agitation you need the black carpet brush - but very important, break it in by putting it on the machine and running it on a concrete driveway for 10 minutes or so. If you don't break in a brush that Orbiter is going to jump and buck like a bronco.

For Encap use the Oreck and a bonnet if they aren't too bad. Or use the oreck and the same black brush to scrub in the encap solution, then go back over with a bonnet So you'll need the Oreck pad head which normally comes with them and a cotton loopy bonnet. But if they are going to rent you a porty they will probably send you with an upholstery tool as well and that works fine on stairs, so you can do them the same way as everything else.

Process -
1. Vacuum
2. Prespray
3. Agitate
4. Extract

If they give you a porty with only a single vacuum then a post bonnet will help it dry but it's not required. Good luck!

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
defanately learn how to clean carpets before doing it, I was training a guy with me yesterday and I was cleaning the stair case, so I let him watch me till the last 2 steps and I gave him the action and he was spraying everywhere to the previous cleaned steps and also when he sprayed, he was not be able to vacuum properly, the way he was holding the vacuum hose, he couldn't be able to intact with the carpet. He is a landscaping guy. If he have done the job, the stairs would have been soaked and not rinsed properly. Skills matters

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Never turn down free help Huh Tod??;);)
JK .great offer
Hope he takes you up on it.
and nice to look across at someone at lunch!

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
Should I pick up a grooming tool? to finish up the job?

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
First off definitely take Todd up on his offer - but I don't think that's going to help you for this Saturday.

Prespray and Encap are different types of chemicals, although some Encap chems do work as pre-sprays reasonably well. Prespray is a generally high-pH detergent that will emulsify greases and oils and allow them to be rinsed clean with HWE. Encap is a close to neutral solution that binds soil up and hardens into a film or crystal to be vacuumed away later.

For the Oreck for agitation you need the black carpet brush - but very important, break it in by putting it on the machine and running it on a concrete driveway for 10 minutes or so. If you don't break in a brush that Orbiter is going to jump and buck like a bronco.

For Encap use the Oreck and a bonnet if they aren't too bad. Or use the oreck and the same black brush to scrub in the encap solution, then go back over with a bonnet So you'll need the Oreck pad head which normally comes with them and a cotton loopy bonnet. But if they are going to rent you a porty they will probably send you with an upholstery tool as well and that works fine on stairs, so you can do them the same way as everything else.

Process -
1. Vacuum
2. Prespray
3. Agitate
4. Extract

If they give you a porty with only a single vacuum then a post bonnet will help it dry but it's not required. Good luck!

If you don't mind, I do have to take issue with one thing that you said which is incorrect.
The black Oreck carpet brush is a very soft bristle brush and requires zero break in at all. While it can be used to agitate the TLC, or encap cleaning solution, it is specifically designed to be used with the dry compound on a slightly misted carpet. However the blue tile brush should be broken in on concrete IF you are going to use it on carpet. Do NOT break it in if you are only going to use it for tile.

The brush that you are talking about that DOES need break in on concrete is a nylon shower feed brush that one would use on a 175. (y)

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke