First job ever today...... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

First job ever today......

Conker

Sep 8, 2019
Real Name
Anders Conk
I'm a window cleaner and have added carpet cleaning to my offering. I already have an existing book of business, so jobs aren't too hard to come by and I know with experience I'll get better (first window job I did 5 years ago took me 8 hours, same house now takes me 3 hours) I felt like today was a success but it was a struggle. It took me 3.5 hours to do a $220 house.... Here are some pictures of my struggles. I'm using a 360 & cfx zx. I suck at cords/hoses and need some help. At one point I thought I would tangle myself into a trap. Second is that instead of running hose up stairs, I pulled it up through a ledge, and third should I large area rugs and clean under or leave them because the carpet should be clean underneath right? I moved it and cleaned under to be safe. Hopefully the pictures give a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
When running hoses over ledges like that you should protect the paint with towels or a hugger type guard, the vacuum hose will continuously shrink and expand, this movement will easily damaged the corners. The rug is really whatever the customer wants. If you move it and clean under it, it will need to be put back by the customer after the carpet dries. Hose management will get better in time, they have velcro stair hose hooks to help with holding hoses in place going up & down stairs.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I'm a window cleaner and have added carpet cleaning to my offering. I already have an existing book of business, so jobs aren't too hard to come by and I know with experience I'll get better (first window job I did 5 years ago took me 8 hours, same house now takes me 3 hours) I felt like today was a success but it was a struggle. It took me 3.5 hours to do a $220 house.... Here are some pictures of my struggles. I'm using a 360 & cfx zx. I suck at cords/hoses and need some help. At one point I thought I would tangle myself into a trap. Second is that instead of running hose up stairs, I pulled it up through a ledge, and third should I large area rugs and clean under or leave them because the carpet should be clean underneath right? I moved it and cleaned under to be safe. Hopefully the pictures give a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Don't you worry, you'll make $200 on 45 minutes, buy you'll have to work for it

Reactions: Conker

Conker

Sep 8, 2019
Real Name
Anders Conk
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Just finished my second job and looking for some advice on rugs. I cleaned these three rugs today (see pictures) I charged $200 for the job and it took me three hours. They came out good...

How does pricing a large rug compare to a bedroom? About the same or should you charge more? I used the same pre-spray on these rugs that I used yesterday on the carpets.....or should you use a rug pre-spray....rugs were pretty thick so I'm not sure the spray got down in there.

Attachments

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Rugs can be much more challenging and risky. If you are going to clean rugs you need to be able to identify the fiber and backing, then use correct chemicals for the job. Rug prices vary alot with the quality of rug and cleaning. I would suggest a class or two on them before offering to do rugs. Otherwise you will end up ruining expensive rugs.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Just finished my second job and looking for some advice on rugs. I cleaned these three rugs today (see pictures) I charged $200 for the job and it took me three hours. They came out good...

How does pricing a large rug compare to a bedroom? About the same or should you charge more? I used the same pre-spray on these rugs that I used yesterday on the carpets.....or should you use a rug pre-spray....rugs were pretty thick so I'm not sure the spray got down in there.
Welcome to the carpet cleaning world. Just wanted to point some thing here for you. Please be careful with area rugs, rugs are made from viscos are not cleanable, they do get darkening when they dry and it does take few days for it to dry up, don't use high ph on cotton area rugs, don't use water on silk, be careful with wool always do a color bleed test before, sometimes they might of used some dyes and you will remove the color.

Conker

Sep 8, 2019
Real Name
Anders Conk
Welcome to the carpet cleaning world. Just wanted to point some thing here for you. Please be careful with area rugs, rugs are made from viscos are not cleanable, they do get darkening when they dry and it does take few days for it to dry up, don't use high ph on cotton area rugs, don't use water on silk, be careful with wool always do a color bleed test before, sometimes they might of used some dyes and you will remove the color.
What about silk based carpet (is that a thing?) One of my window customers wants their carpets cleaned but they said they are carpet is maybe silk based or has silk in it and they weren't sure if my 360 and cfx ZX are safe on it. I told him I'd look into it and get back to him.

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
What about silk based carpet (is that a thing?) One of my window customers wants their carpets cleaned but they said they are carpet is maybe silk based or has silk in it and they weren't sure if my 360 and cfx ZX are safe on it. I told him I'd look into it and get back to him.
For silk I pre vacuum very nicely, then I spray my dry cleaner, I agitate with my wand and then extract that dry solution with dirt out of carpet using my regular portable with the wand, don't use the rotory machine. Go to your local carpet cleaning shop they should have a safe silk dry cleaner, please avoid water, it will or it may get darkening and you bought your self a $4000 silk carpet. By the way you got a great machine.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Hose and cord management is necessary during the job every 30 seconds it seems when you work alone. Put down the wand and pull cords and straighten hoses as you work your way out. It turns into a quick pile of tangled snakes that wrap around your leg when you try to ignore and walk by it. The vacuum hoses all tangled up decreases your air flow as well. Keep cords and hoses nice and neat and you will be less stressed and more focus while you are learning your new trade.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
One tip I have for you is as your finishing the first room backing out, take your slack and place a loop into the next room you'll be working in.

When your ready you can just move into the next room with already the correct amount of slack. Keep doing this as you back up, it will keep your hoses from turning into a mess in the hallway.

As you get closer to the stairs you'll need to move a larger loop downstairs, make sure to move it all the way down don't let hoses pile up on the steps... can be dangerous.

Best thing when your working solo is to just really take your time so you can avoid "hose rage", if your trying to move too quick you'll quickly learn what I mean by hose rage

Conker

Sep 8, 2019
Real Name
Anders Conk
Hey guys, I have my 5th job under my belt now. I cleaned this carpet today (see picture). It's called burber I guess. Any tips on cleaning it? It feels rough and non absorbent. Using a cfx zx and 360.

Attachments

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Hey guys, I have my 5th job under my belt now. I cleaned this carpet today (see picture). It's called burber I guess. Any tips on cleaning it? It feels rough and non absorbent. Using a cfx zx and 360.
It's hard to identify berber in pic. Berber carpet comes in different styles. Looped berber has to be flushed right to prevent browning, especially when comes to light beige colors. ( use of air movers is highly recommended)Loop pattern makes it harder to extract water completely, so if you don't get call back, you can give yourself pat on shoulder. Berber cleans well, if you see loose strands, cut it close to the surface , apply drop of super glue to the top of cut strands , that'll stop
run. Don't forget to charge for your extra effort.
Keep on cleaning...

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Some carpet with strange textures like looped burber can be difficult for a rotary like yours to run smoothly or leave dry enough. Just my experience. Sometimes a wand going the right direction on that stuff locks down better and gets better recovery. I'm no expert that's just my experience.

Reactions: Spazznout and Luky