First impressions of the Hurricane, Albert, and Velocity Tech.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
All these numbers sound dramatically inflated. I would like to see just how the readings come out in REAL cleaning conditions.

Like 1Kaday said a 2" hose can only handle so much CFM. I would think 1000 is out if the question and totally unnecessary.

Have you seen the blower blades that a yard service man may use to blow off the side walks?

If a 2" hose is only 12" long you can get a lot of air through them I think.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I would never back into a clients garage with a mixture of propane and gasoline. I personally would never back into a clients garage , period.
If your heart is set on using customers power invest in more cordage :(
Will-

Have you been able to run the VT on house power yet, and not use the generator?

What kind of cord/hookup did Albert recommend in order to use house power?

Where do you connect a "going into the house" cord at the VT?

How many 15 amp circuits does the VT require to run at 150'?

Does the PempTec require a separate 15 amp circuit in order to operate?

What are the running amps of the VT's generator?

If you run the generator all the time, you might as well use a gasoline truckmount.

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
Will-

Have you been able to run the VT on house power yet, and not use the generator?

What kind of cord/hookup did Albert recommend in order to use house power?

Where do you connect a "going into the house" cord at the VT?

How many 15 amp circuits does the VT require to run at 150'?

Does the PempTec require a separate 15 amp circuit in order to operate?

What are the running amps of the VT's generator?

If you run the generator all the time, you might as well use a gasoline truckmount.

I have to buy a dryer vent cord still. Albert brought 2 50' sections of 10/3 cord with the intentions of making one for me before leaving but it wasn't done before he had to go. I was irked by this because if I am buying an ETM I expect a premade power cord to come with it that is needed to run off a dryer vent plug. I can't find an adapter that converts a 3 prong 220v cord to a 4 prong generator input. I've found an adapter that converts a 4 prong dryer vent plug into a 3 prong and a 3 prong 50' 3 prong dryer cord.

10/3

The Hurricane has a 4 prong generator 220v plug in. If it was a 3 prong generator plug I would've already found a suitable adapter for it.

Yes, it is included with the 4 15 amps.

Not exactly sure, it is an 18 hp Honda gen, I believe 10k watts.

Agreed. I've already spent about $25 in gas on it. Need to get this dryer cord thing going soon!

Aladdin's Carpet Care

Jan 23, 2012
Indiana
Real Name
Joe Couch
Business Location
United States
No offense Will but having to pay for gas is easier and quicker then having to jack around with cords and trying to find where to hook up in a customers home. I would not be happy as a customer if I had to let someone hook up to my dryer or range outlet and would find it very tacky. Hooking up in a rental house or apartment is a different story as no one is around. The extra gas cost should be offset by setup and teardown times.

Reactions: falcans

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
No offense Will but having to pay for gas is easier and quicker then having to jack around with cords and trying to find where to hook up in a customers home. I would not be happy as a customer if I had to let someone hook up to my dryer or range outlet and would find it very tacky. Hooking up in a rental house or apartment is a different story as no one is around. The extra gas cost should be offset by setup and teardown times.
Agreed.

falcans

Feb 26, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Ricardo bials
Business Location
Canada
generator and a gas engine :D its the same dam thing i used to run my etm on a generator till i decided i wanted something bigger and better then what i had so i purchased a real gas truckmount and be professional at the same time customers get annoyed when breakers start popping and its more of a liability just say the customer fell over the cord......

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have to buy a dryer vent cord still. Albert brought 2 50' sections of 10/3 cord with the intentions of making one for me before leaving but it wasn't done before he had to go. I was irked by this because if I am buying an ETM I expect a premade power cord to come with it that is needed to run off a dryer vent plug. I can't find an adapter that converts a 3 prong 220v cord to a 4 prong generator input. I've found an adapter that converts a 4 prong dryer vent plug into a 3 prong and a 3 prong 50' 3 prong dryer cord.

10/3

The Hurricane has a 4 prong generator 220v plug in. If it was a 3 prong generator plug I would've already found a suitable adapter for it.

Agreed. I've already spent about $25 in gas on it. Need to get this dryer cord thing going soon!
10/3 won't work, because you need 10/4 in order to power 4 circuits. A 3 prong dryer outlet also won't work as there is not enough neutral wire (only a single # 10 wire) in a 220V 3 prong dryer setup. It has enough hot leads (2 #10 wires), but not enough neutral leads (only 1), which is how 110V works.

220V appliances alternate between 2 hot leads, and do not use a neutral except for a ground (both the neutral and ground go to the same bar in a breaker/fuse box).

110V appliances (which is what you have in the VT) alternate between one hot lead and one neutral (ground).

So you need a 4 wire extension cord (10/4) at 10 AWG in order to carry the load. A 3 wire cord does not carry but one neutral wire.

I have an 18 HP Honda Northstar generator, which is 10,000 watts surge, and 8500 watts continuous. This is probably the one you have, or similar.

So, the VT will only work from a 4 prong dryer outlet, not a 3. If you use a 3 prong dryer outlet and convert it to 4 in your setup, it will over-heat for lack of sufficient wiring.

This limits sourcing power for your VT greatly.

You can adapt a 40 amp 220VAC outlet (stove) to your VT, by making a conversion cord from 40 amps to 30 amps, but it would also need it's own breaker protection.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

10/3

I'm afraid you're going to have to wait till next year for Albert to get around to the cord.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Very happy you finally got your machine. I thought it was a lost cause but your one of the good guys here and you deserve it even though you paid for it, if that makes any sense.

If Albert is smart hell do more right by you and build himself and his machine back up. If I was him I would give you a FREE machine when he builds up of course. It would speak volumes for his company and the way it plans on going.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Very happy you finally got your machine. I thought it was a lost cause but your one of the good guys here and you deserve it even though you paid for it, if that makes any sense.

If Albert is smart hell do more right by you and build himself and his machine back up. If I was him I would give you a FREE machine when he builds up of course. It would speak volumes for his company and the way it plans on going.

First I'd make Will's machine work on an electrical cord. After all, it is supposed to be an ETM. Not a ETM, that can only be run off a generator, that has electrical cords hanging off it for looks.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Good stuff Bob, thanks for the info.
One final note-

On your genny is there a plug going into the 40 amp 4 prong 220V large receptacle on the genny panel?

Also, does this plug go directly into a box with multiple 110V outlets for the vac motors and system high-pressure pump?

If your setup doesn't have 15 or 20 amp separate breakers to control each 110V circuit, the setup is NOT SAFE, as you can overload the VT components and the genny breaker won't trip until there is a serious problem.

I made a box for my ETM genny that uses the big 40 amp plug, but from there it goes into a small breaker box with 4 separate 15 amp 110V breakers so each circuit cord is protected at 15 amps.

You can do the same and if you need any 20 amp circuits, just use a 20 amp 110V breaker.

I used what are known as tandem breakers. The tandem breakers will fit into a single 110V slot, but give you 2 breakers and 2 connections in that single slot. This allows me to use a compact commercial grade Square D box with only 2 spaces instead of 4. These 2 spaces will protect 4 separate circuits. I can post a picture if you want to see what it looks like.

Reactions: Deron06

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
How many motors does it take to get 1000 CFM?

One

vortexphoto_zps9081daf5.jpg

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
LOL. You see that dude weighs 650 pounds? That's more than my whole slide in weighs....

I was just going to say the same thing till I saw you beat me too it.