First Commercial Bid | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

First Commercial Bid

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
Just wanted to thank all you fellas for chiming in. I found a great little estimator tool while browsing TMF last night that helped me whittle it down to $0.22 sq ft and with the discount it brought the effective rate to $0.18. Estimated cost to do the job is around $700, but I think that's a very high over estimation (unless I buy the Oreck). I think it's closer to $500 if it takes 2 guys 18hrs each (playing myself $15hr). My buddy's got experience, so I'm thinking two of us can knock it out in 12. Gonna run over the numbers again tonight because I was thinking chems would be higher. This morning I found out 1 gallon of ReleaseIt DS2 will cover 10,000sq ft so instead of a case 1 gallon should get it. Profit margin close to 60% with those over inflated numbers.

Sent the estimate this morning and he was very happy about the price so I got the job. Gonna order some chems, fiber pads, and bonnets from Excellent Supply tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to do the job next week. I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G930T using TMF Forums mobile app
Good For you!!

Reactions: Will C

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Any and all work at my local church is always free. That's just me

Whether I'm cleaning or installing

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
You might have already put in your quote, but if this is of interest, you can always use it as an excuse to follow up and offer something different.
Most churches dont allow drinks in the sanctuary, but some do, or they have areas that, almost as soon as they are cleaned, they are dirtied up again.
I like to offer them a price based on coming in several times per year (one place we do weekly) and mop up the areas that need it. Almost like a preventative maintenance plan.
Why might they accept this?
Well, they are keeping their location clean right through the year rather than just once, occasionally, for a few months (at best). They are also smoothing out their cash flow (which if you are dealing with the treasurer, will be huge)
Why might you do this?
You can command a higher annual price for the work (billed monthly)
You spend less time at the location which allows you to book work around it
Folks at the church see you, get to know you and start calling and referring you.

Just my thoughts, good luck

Will C

Jul 23, 2016
Real Name
Will Pope
You might have already put in your quote, but if this is of interest, you can always use it as an excuse to follow up and offer something different.
Most churches dont allow drinks in the sanctuary, but some do, or they have areas that, almost as soon as they are cleaned, they are dirtied up again.
I like to offer them a price based on coming in several times per year (one place we do weekly) and mop up the areas that need it. Almost like a preventative maintenance plan.
Why might they accept this?
Well, they are keeping their location clean right through the year rather than just once, occasionally, for a few months (at best). They are also smoothing out their cash flow (which if you are dealing with the treasurer, will be huge)
Why might you do this?
You can command a higher annual price for the work (billed monthly)
You spend less time at the location which allows you to book work around it
Folks at the church see you, get to know you and start calling and referring you.

Just my thoughts, good luck
I've been thinking about that. Yes, anyway bid and got the job. But I'd like to keep it clean too. The sanctuary and main corridor are the biggest areas by far. I'm going to drop the price per square foot substantially and see if I can do those areas again before Easter. I never even considered commercial, but it seems like you can make a lot more money for the same amount of time with less investment into equipment and little headache from people standing over you watching your every move. But I need to learn a ton more about how to market to, bid on, and land commercial accounts. Got any tips or can you send me in the right direction toward educational material/resources for that particular side of carpet cleaning?

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I've been thinking about that. Yes, anyway bid and got the job. But I'd like to keep it clean too. The sanctuary and main corridor are the biggest areas by far. I'm going to drop the price per square foot substantially and see if I can do those areas again before Easter. I never even considered commercial, but it seems like you can make a lot more money for the same amount of time with less investment into equipment and little headache from people standing over you watching your every move. But I need to learn a ton more about how to market to, bid on, and land commercial accounts. Got any tips or can you send me in the right direction toward educational material/resources for that particular side of carpet cleaning?

If you are asking me for sales advice or info, I cant help. I have been involved in service business since 1978 and attended many sales/selling seminars in that time. I'm a sales guy (mediocre at best) that happens to clean carpets.

Will C

Jul 23, 2016
Real Name
Will Pope
That's longer than I've been alive. I guess my main question is, how much of commercial work comes from cold calling or drop in visits and the like vs businesses that go looking for carpet cleaning. I'll start researching tonight.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I no longer look for commercial. I do it when I get it, then I try to stay top of mind with that client. I dont know what the current thoughts are on generating that business.

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
I am 80% commercial doing large weekend jobs that consist of 30k - 40k sqft jobs. I have never spent that much time on one job. And don't confuse well organized efficient work with poor work. I have guys with me that have been working for me for many years. From the time we start to the time we finish, we never stop working and everyone knows their job. We are very good at what we do and NEVER have to return to fix something. We usually charge anywhere from .12 to .18 and always come out very well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Man, that's incredible. There's no way I could do it for that little, even if I rented the 175. This will be my 4th job and I'm using a porty, so I'm much slower than I will be once I get a TM. In my estimate I'm taking into account that Stanley Steemer charged $0.27 sq ft to half ass clean the roughly 3,500 sq ft office at my day job and it took two guys about 6 hrs to do it. I'm guessing it'll take me and a helper three or four 6hr nights to get it all done. If I go all encap it'll be much quicker. I'd fly with a Cimex, but unfortunately that's about $2,500 over my budget for equipment right now.

Stay where your at price wise.....you could always go down. Even on commercial I'm never lower than .35 but it depends on your area and other variables.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I tell every commercial client before I begin my estimate "I want you to know I will be the most expensive estimate you get so if your on a budget I'll be glad to answer any questions to help you but my price is non-negotiable". Puts an odd look on their face every time.

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
I tell every commercial client before I begin my estimate "I want you to know I will be the most expensive estimate you get so if your on a budget I'll be glad to answer any questions to help you but my price is non-negotiable". Puts an odd look on their face every time.
What percentage do you usually book?

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Bexiesbruv