Fireplace soot?

JAY

Feb 27, 2010
SALT LAKE, UT
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
i am wondering how you guys would have cleaned this 3rd gen nylon that was in a room with this wood burning fireplace.

i didnt notice or feel soot on the cielings or walls so i am not certain of much other than...... the uncoverd areas of the carpet were almost uniformly darker than what was under the carpet tape/film that was peeled off in my pic.

the adhesive film runner was applied several yrs ago.

Attachments

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I would Use Traffic Slam. Apply generously so that you can add vigorous agitation (lubrication).

The pH of Traffic Slam is above what is suggested for stain resist nylon, but I suspect the soot has already voided any warranty.

The soot is acidic. The faster you get it off, the less potential for damage and the better the results.

JAY

Feb 27, 2010
SALT LAKE, UT
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
thanx for a response scott. i feel better now! i was wondering how else i might have done this.

i used a competitors high ph traffic slam and thier charger. i used 50% more than the recommended.
i used a rake overall and got on my hands and knees with a hand brush to "feather in" the outlines.
i metered my detergent rinse at 4gpm and used a rotovac at 400 psi (extra dry passes of course!), 240F rinse and maximum lift on the 59 blower.

marginal results. i would say it turned out 70% better but i couldnt walk away proud of anything other than my effort!
maybe if i had the 175rpm agitator with me...?
maybe a FSR type of product? too expensive or a waste of time because of the nature of the soil?
is it possible that the covering film "changed" the protected fibers making the contrast between the 2 areas even more highlighted?
so far those are my best excuses!!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
thanx for a response scott. i feel better now! i was wondering how else i might have done this.

i used a competitors high ph traffic slam and thier charger. i used 50% more than the recommended.
i used a rake overall and got on my hands and knees with a hand brush to "feather in" the outlines.
i metered my detergent rinse at 4gpm and used a rotovac at 400 psi (extra dry passes of course!), 240F rinse and maximum lift on the 59 blower.

marginal results. i would say it turned out 70% better but i couldnt walk away proud of anything other than my effort!
maybe if i had the 175rpm agitator with me...?
maybe a FSR type of product? too expensive or a waste of time because of the nature of the soil?
is it possible that the covering film "changed" the protected fibers making the contrast between the 2 areas even more highlighted?
so far those are my best excuses!!
I don't know the formulation of FSR, but our Traffic Slam and our filtration soil remover called Filter Free both use a charged hydrotope to overcome the van der Waals forces that hold small soot particles to the fiber. The Filter Free is much more concentrated.

The area covered by the film will also be affected by differences in mositure and by wear. You can't clean way wear. You may also expect the area with film covering to have some adhesive residue that may attract soil and get darker in the future.

JAY

Feb 27, 2010
SALT LAKE, UT
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
You may also expect the area with film covering to have some adhesive residue that may attract soil and get darker in the future.
thanx scott! i knew there was something positive about it i was overlooking! about how long till you think they will blend in together!?!

but smart ass comment aside......... it was rental 30 miles away and i got it "deposit clean" so nobodys heart got broke but mine.
i just want to be able to do better next time. i apreciate your help scott. i will pick up a jug of your product next time i stop in.