wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I was just wondering if anyone on here is or has been involved with fire damage restoration or even a fire yourself for that matter. One of my sister's house caught fire last week. Although it is not totally destroyed they will be forced to live somewhere else for a lengthy period of time. Right now, I'm putting them up at my house. The insurance company has hired Service Master to do the fire restoration which looks like it could take weeks at least. They are literally taking every little thing out of the home unless it was marked as trash in order to clean it and then it will be stored until she finds a place to stay.

I'm sure SM will make quite a lot of money on this and to my knowledge, they're the only company in the area that still does fire restorations. They have a fairly large facility a few miles from my sister's home. They had a crew of 5 in there yesterday packing things up. If you have any advice or anything you think would be helpful I'm all ears. I've never been involved in or even seen a fire restoration in my life. It is possible the home could be written off as a total loss, but no telling how long before we know anything. There will be estimates done on what it will take to restore the home and I well imagine the cost will be significant.

Fortunately, nobody was injured in the fire, but my sister has 2 grown children and 1 granddaughter living with her and they all 3 have muscular dystrophy as well as other pretty severe health problems. 1 of them is on hospice care. She had her grown son being checked that morning and is due to have a cardiac catheter put in soon so she's going through a very tough spot. Her husband died a few years ago. Any prayers will certainly be appreciated!

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I was a manager for a Servpro for a few years.
As far as your sisters belongings they are taking off site to clean and deodorize they should be doing an inventory and taking pictures of all items. I would recommend your sister makes sure she gets a copy of the inventory and pictures or at least has access to view it as needed. My experience is that no matter how careful the restoration company is stuff will still get damaged, lost or stolen during the process. It is very rare that there would be a total loss on the structure damage. Also they normally pay for temporary housing if the homeowner can not stay in the house while the work is being done.
I really never liked doing fire restoration as there is so much involved.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I was a manager for a Servpro for a few years.
As far as your sisters belongings they are taking off site to clean and deodorize they should be doing an inventory and taking pictures of all items. I would recommend your sister makes sure she gets a copy of the inventory and pictures or at least has access to view it as needed. My experience is that no matter how careful the restoration company is stuff will still get damaged, lost or stolen during the process. It is very rare that there would be a total loss on the structure damage. Also they normally pay for temporary housing if the homeowner can not stay in the house while the work is being done.
I really never liked doing fire restoration as there is so much involved.
Thanks. She's been looking for temporary housing and will be seeing someone in about an hour. She has 2 small dogs that has hindered her so far from getting a place to stay. She does have to pay the deposit and first months rent, but insurance said they would reimburse her for that. It appears her entire roof including the structure will have to be replaced and no telling what else. I'm guessing it will be months before she can move back in.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Fire damage is a long process to go through, and very stressful. Hopefully she is able to find a place soon and the structure damage rebuild goes quick.

One thing that I always saw was that the insurance companies would replace just about any electronic and upholstery furniture (mattresses included) if the homeowner told them that the smell was too bad or that they feel like electronics took too much smoke and won't last as long as they should.

Hopefully your sister had plenty of personal belonging coverage as most people under insure their personal property. It happens as the value of what we own goes up as we buy things over the years but never update our policy. After my insurance totalled my van from an accident in January my wife sat down with our agent and did a review of all of our policies. We got our homeowner renewal statement yesterday and I see she upped our personal property coverage to $150k.

Reactions: Luky and wandwizard