Finally a solution to the El Diablo/Honda engine oil saga?!?!

Billy Schoch

Apr 18, 2011
Durham, NC
Real Name
Billy Schoch
Business Location
United States
Hey guys. If anyone reading actually still has this issue, I think I've figured out the cause of the rapid oil thinning in the Honda engine on the older El Diablo models.

Long story short, it looks like the steel exhaust manifolds are the culprit. They can't be insulated because they aren't stainless. The crankshaft spins just below them, blowing extremely hot air straight at the air intake of the engine. The result is a very, very hot Honda.

The answer: customer stainless manifolds to replace the old ones, then insulate them.

Ran a box fan pointed at this area today, and it seemed to nearly eliminate the oil issue.

I'm going to test my theory by temporarily insulating the manifolds on there already. If it helps, I'm replacing them with stainless and insulating those.

I'll update at some point. Just thought I'd share.

scotneal

Dec 3, 2010
North Carolina
www.acleansolutionnc.com
Real Name
Scot Neal
Business Location
United States
Billy,

If cooling really is an issue, you may want to run the exhaust from the silencer out through the floor of your trailer. I am having an exhaust system built for mine next week. The cooling system on my engine has been sucking hot exhaust. I'm sure this doesn't help. Another area to look at is the exhaust manifold for the heater. If your machine has the old style manifold, it has 2 layers. Make sure that the inner Has not collapsed. If any part collapses, hot are from the heater will blow on the engine and blower. You could also add a second oil cooler for additional cooling.

Anyway, just some suggestions. My Honda has not had any oil problems, it still has the original manifolds and original cooling system and no box fan.

I hope wrapping that manifold does fix the problem for you.

steveo1978

Mar 19, 2011
nsw
www.procarpetclean.com.au
Real Name
steven duncan
Business Location
Australia
HI All
After cleaning some carpet the other day I told the lady about the new eldiablo;s tile cleaning performance so Instantly got the job but Im still a bit frustrated with this machine normally I would turn my relief valve inside the house put on my tile cleaning tool , take my wand back to the van turn up the pressure to 1500psi walk back in and open the relief valve. NOt with this machine the pressure guage go to zero when no water is flowing so you have to be at the back of the van with the tool or have a second person either that or get good at guessing how many times you need to spin the psi guage.:AddEmoticons04233:

Billy Schoch

Apr 18, 2011
Durham, NC
Real Name
Billy Schoch
Business Location
United States
HI All
After cleaning some carpet the other day I told the lady about the new eldiablo;s tile cleaning performance so Instantly got the job but Im still a bit frustrated with this machine normally I would turn my relief valve inside the house put on my tile cleaning tool , take my wand back to the van turn up the pressure to 1500psi walk back in and open the relief valve. NOt with this machine the pressure guage go to zero when no water is flowing so you have to be at the back of the van with the tool or have a second person either that or get good at guessing how many times you need to spin the psi guage.:AddEmoticons04233:

Yeah, that may be off topic. However, and easy answer to this problem would be to have a live tool/jet of some kind hooked up back at the machine. Just open a valve, set the psi, and walk away.

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
www.mountainviewcarpetcare.com
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
jet hot is another option. it's a thermal barrier used often with turbo cars that have high exhaust temps. if you google ceramic exhaust coating your city you'll probably find a local outfit that can do it. it lowers radiant temps and looks cool while doing so.

Billy Schoch

Apr 18, 2011
Durham, NC
Real Name
Billy Schoch
Business Location
United States
jet hot is another option. it's a thermal barrier used often with turbo cars that have high exhaust temps. if you google ceramic exhaust coating your city you'll probably find a local outfit that can do it. it lowers radiant temps and looks cool while doing so.

That looks pretty sweet. Sadly, I couldn't find a distributor within 250 miles of my house on their website. Would've been cool.