Filtration marks and pet treatment | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Filtration marks and pet treatment

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
Hi, I need advise on filtration marks and pet treatment. Recently I have been contacted by a customer who was able to remove filtration marks on her old light color carpet. Are these stain most of the time removable or permanent? When should we try to remove it and when should we tell the customer that they are permanent?

My other question is about pet treatment. Many times we do pet treatment (Urine and odor) but odor almost always comes back. I had couple not happy customers because heavy or mild pet odor came back. What is the best way to deal with this proplem?

Thank you,
Andrew

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Filtration lines are best vacuumed well prior to getting them wet. I don't know your climate, but I can give you some advice on topical pet treatments, I average 5-10 pet treatments a week. I will just cover topical pet treatments, because here in the south flooding pad is a recipe for failure. Leaving behind moisture without a dehu just gives the bacteria more fuel here and it's the worst thing thing to do in a humid climate. If you live in a desert climate that's a completely different story.

Vacuum well, remove all the hair possible, Crb then vacuum if you have one. If you don't it's ok proper extraction equipment does a pretty good job of removing pet hair too.

In a 4:1 hydroforce I mix the following in 2 quarts of 140° water and I will apply it only after I have really hot water in my solution line.
6 scoops flex ice
2 oz coated sodium percarbonate
½ pure d-limonene
I leave 2 qts heads headspace in the hydroforce for the percarbonate to go off and I will mix another batch or 3 if needed.
Apply this all hot and reserve the dregs of the jug loaded full of oxygen for a second layer on any remaining visible piss stain or colored stain like kool-aid. The goal is to clean the fiber, but not flood it to the point that you are allowing moisture in the bundle between the primary and secondary backings that you can never remove with any equipment except a dehu. Light layers, move fast from the furthest point of the room towards the door. If you nailed the chems right and are delivering the prespray at 175° the piss stains are almost immediately gone like freakin magic. Allow 10 minutes to dwell and extract with flex ice finishing with a good slow dry stroke and most importantly let off the trigger and vac past it. NO SWAMP LINES getting into the bundle down every row! The above prespray works about perfect on the filtration lines too.

Staying 100% on the acid side boosted with the right chems to remove the urine (and kool-aid, etc...) is a less is more approach that wins every time. Less water, less steps, less products used, better results. With customer approval I deodorize each room lightly with newline lemonsolv and collect my moolah. I have virtually no call backs and I clean with very high flow, but follow the above steps to the letter everytime. I have done 10's of thousands of these jobs and have learned a few things, it's what I specialize in now and I used to absolutely dread piss jobs. Take the above for what it's worth.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
Thank you for your great advise! The training that i received for pet treatment at big company is not enough to remove urine stains from some carpets. Will try your advise!

Andrew

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Spray heavy USOR. Let dwell 10 minutes. Extract with water claw. Spray with enzymes or USOR again and walk away.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
If the customer is willing to pay for your time, you can use a needle to inject solution directly into the pad.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Prochem Odor Rescue is great for either topical treatment or full carpet & pad extraction.
They also have an excellent soil filtration line remover (Filter Out) dwell time runs about 10 min or so. No need to wear the hat of a chemist. Been using both about 10+ years now, no complaints.

Reactions: Joe cool

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
Thank you for your advise! Will try all of them and see which one works the best

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Fantastic write up from Tom today.

Pro's Corner

Specialized Cleaning Agents

Posted by Tom Forsythe on May 21st 2020

Appropriate chemistry is the basis for pre-sprays, rinses, spot and stain removers, deodorizers, protectors, etc. Different formulations will be more suitable for use on some fibers or some types of soil than others. Some are less aggressive for the surface being cleaned, safer for the technician, their clients, or the environment. It is helpful to understand how and why one cleaning agent works differently than another. The vast array of cleaning formulas in the market today will incorporate alkalinity, surfactancy, and solvency to some degree. There are other ingredients that are used in clearly defined cleaning categories and are vital for a small group of focused products.
Acidic builders are used in extraction rinses designed for neutralizing alkalinity found in most pre-sprays. Citric and glycolic acid are the foundation block of this type of rinse. The use of acidic rinses are more important for natural fibers like wool and cotton as it leaves the fibers after drying in the neutral pH range. You will find acids like urea hydrochloride and phosphoric in formulas used to descale hard water deposits from hard surfaces and to etch microlayers on the surface of cementitious material like grout. Special acids like ammonium bi-fluoride will also chemically alter rust to become invisible in soft surfaces.
Living bacteria cultures and non-living enzyme catalysts form the foundation of deodorization or oil degradation formulas. Bacteria and enzymes are used to breakdown organic matter into water-soluble compounds. Enzymes are added as a catalyst to speed up the process. At this point, thorough extraction will readily remove contaminants separated from fibers by the enzymes and select surfactants. Bacteria cultures work slower as they multiply in the presence of a food source producing enzymes to continue the break down organic matter into smaller particles. Eventually, they will be digested through the cell wall of living spores as a food source. Enzymes are also used in pre-sprays to break down protein-based oils and greases like you would find in a restaurant so that they can be extracted. Specialty bio-enzyme formulas will also breakdown excessive oils in food traps, sinks, etc.
Encapsulates are a twenty-first-century innovation added to cleaning formulations. The encapsulating polymers are being added to modern formulations by serving as an alkaline builder, but also help any detergent residue dry down to a form that does not contribute to re-soiling. Most modern maintenance low moisture carpet cleaning formulas are built primarily with polymers and surfactants. Agitation helps break soils off of fibers which are surrounded by polymer and dry down brittle for vacuum extraction. Other polymer surrounds the fibers and promotes soil resistance until the next cleaning.
New protector formulations include encapsulated polymers that provide stain and soil resistance but no oil or water surface repellency. Fluorinated polymers are the primary ingredient for carpet protectors and impregnated sealers for porous hard surfaces. These fluorinated polymers can be formulated in both solvent and water-based solutions and they reduce the surface energy of fibers, fabrics, and porous hard surfaces so that water and oil will be repelled at the surface. The presence of fluorinated polymers in water-based solutions also promotes soil resistance like encapsulating polymers. Acid dye resistors are a different specialized polymer designed to fill up dye sites in nylon and wool carpet to limit staining. Silicones are limited in their market presence since they can only be used for water repellency for soft and hard surfaces.
Fragrance is an integral part of most cleaning products at all levels of pH and often are identified more readily than the brand itself. Fragrance does nothing for the actual cleaning but serves as an important role as it covers up the sometimes unpleasant odor from the raw materials that make up the chemical. In addition, it provides a pleasing fragrance while cleaning that often lingers for a time, after you are done.
Odor encapsulates are used in combination with fragrances when professional deodorization is necessary. Zinc salt is a natural odor neutralizer that traps and absorbs malodor molecules. Zinc salt is finite and can be overwhelmed by a greater amount of malodors necessitating the use of more of the solution. The zinc salt does not remove the source of the odor and its application would thereby be temporary in nature unless the source is removed. The odor encapsulate formula can be added to a wide variety of products to provide some odor removal to the other performance features.
Oxidizers are available in both liquid and powdered form and are the cleaning industry’s version of an oxygen bleach or color-safe bleach. They are used to brighten white fabrics and enhance colors without using fluorescent dyes. Hydrogen peroxide is the liquid form and needs to be carefully formulated so that it has a shelf life of at least a year. Hydrogen peroxide is the preferred form when used as a spotter as its addition to an organic stain modifies the molecule to make the stain invisible. Sodium percarbonate is in powder form and needs to be coated if used in any formula with even a small amount of water. The sodium percarbonate is primarily used in urine decontamination formulas and added as a booster to cleaning formulas.
Reducers are found in both liquid and powder form. Sodium thiosulfate is a mild liquid reducer used in spotting formulas. Sodium metabisulfite is the powdered form and is dissolved in liquid spotting formulas. If the pH is below 7 then it can have a distinct sulfur odor. If the pH is above 7 then the odor is neutralized. The reducer is used as a spotter for an inorganic stain as it modifies the molecule to make the stain invisible.
The aforementioned specialized cleaning agents typically use surfactants in the formulas, solvents to a lesser degree, and alkalinity sparingly as most are used in neutral formulas. However, they stand as cleaning agents which are absolutely necessary to provide a full range of service to the diversity of soft and hard surfaces. Their functions, however, narrow and will always be considered niche products but vital to the longevity of all surfaces used.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I’m so glad I swerve more than half the pee jobs I run into. If it’s in the pad at or more 20%+ of the area I don’t mess with it. There were times in the past where I would attempt to clean rooms customers let there pets use as a toilet and it was NEVER worth the trouble. I’m in a place right now where I just recommend replacement and sub out the work to my good friends who own a flooring store. And they toss work and referrals my way. Great arrangement.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I’d rather they replace the pad and have the carpet recleaned than dumping a bunch of crap on it hoping for the best.

Reactions: LeeRoy

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
You should probably find another line of work. People love their pets waaaay more than they care about your opinion. #facts
So it’s better to clean/ deodorize the carpet fibers and leave a smelly disgusting pad under it?
To replace a section of urine infested pad is a better solution and no big deal in MY OPINION which im entitled to. What does that have to do with how much a pet owner cares about they’re pets?