Filthy wool rug retains dirt like no other

Thewy

May 4, 2020
Georgia
Real Name
Stephen
Business Location
United States
Is this where a rug pit/drying station has a major advantage over us rug suckers ?
No, you should only try to surface clean tufted rugs onsite. The wool fiber will last over 30 years but the backing will last 3-12 years depending on if it has a pad under it and also how often the room is used. The latex breaks down with traffic and will break down faster if cleaned poorly (wrong ph, too much water, trying to do too much). If you soaked it or beat the latex out when cleaning it off site then you would have to re—latex the backing. Almost every time, it’s not worth it because then re-latexing would be close to the price of the rug.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No, you should only try to surface clean tufted rugs onsite. The wool fiber will last over 30 years but the backing will last 3-12 years depending on if it has a pad under it and also how often the room is used. The latex breaks down with traffic and will break down faster if cleaned poorly (wrong ph, too much water, trying to do too much). If you soaked it or beat the latex out when cleaning it off site then you would have to re—latex the backing. Almost every time, it’s not worth it because then re-latexing would be close to the price of the rug.

So what to do then in cases of extreme urine that penetrated into the backing?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
So what to do then in cases of extreme urine that penetrated into the backing?
Trash it. I refuse to guarantee urine odor removal on any tufted rug.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I found a natural wool rug 11 X 7 feet that was absolutely filthy with a "Free" sign on it about 3 months ago while walking in my neighbourhood. Being a professional carpet cleaner the filthiness of the wool rug did not intimidate me at all and indeed I thought the clean would be a challenge and the end result would be a beautiful clean rug.

The first day I cleaned it twice on the top using my Rotovac 360i at a 250 psi setting, using Flex citrus pre-spray and also I sprayed the numerous ground in dirt stains with Simple Green and mechanically scrubbed with a brush in addition to using my Rotovac. I worked on the top of the carpet approximately 4 hours and cleaned the back of the rug using a regular wand and generous amounts of Simple Green. I think I spent about 5 - 6 hours altogether the first time cleaning the rug and probably went through 8 - 10 buckets or so of water, using the 250 psi setting on my Esteam Warrior extractor.

The following day I thoroughly vacuumed the rug.

The rug looked cleaner but still dirty after the vacuum. A week later I looked under the rug and to my horror the laminate floor under the rug looked like a sand box. I thoroughly spent another day vacuuming both under and on top of the rug and deep cleaned it two more times with the Rotovac 360i on the 250 psi setting. I thought for sure the rug was clean now.

Two days later after a routine vacuum I looked under the rug and saw lots of sand. I vacuumed under the rug too. Surely the sand and dirt would be gone now!

A week later more sand appeared under the rug and a friend commented the carpet still looked dirty. I cleaned it by now so much and compared to the first day it actually was starting to look clean to me. I decided to blast the carpet again, with Flex citrus pre-spray and my Rotavac 360i on the 250 psi setting using about 6 buckets of water water over a 2 hour period, then I did a slow dry pass with the Rotovac. I then saturated the rug with Simple Green, let it sit for ten minutes and manually scrubbed the rug with a brush before blasting it with my Rotovac and another 6 buckets or so of water and then another slow dry pass. I then turned the rug over and cleaned every square inch of the back of the rug with my hand tool at a 200 psi setting.

After the carpet dried I vacuumed it thoroughly both front and back.

The carpet looks cleaner for sure, but to my horror and amazement I just lifted the carpet again and the underneath literally still looks like a sandbox. Sweeping it up there is enough sand to fill a large dustpan.

I have many satified customers. In nearly 20 years of carpet cleaning I never have had to clean a carpet more than once, maybe making a couple slow wet passes and then one dry pass at the most.

Has anyone ever encountered a carpet like this?
Get rid of the cheap 250 psi machine and get a real machine and clean it like a professional !!! use bucket heaters to heat the water , and get some good chems, simple green is not very good stuff for rugs.... Oh I am not downgrading you but upgrade and youll he a happy boy !

Reactions: Johnny Bravo