Fermented carpets in closed down nightclub-Help!

CleanSteps LLC

Jan 15, 2014
www.cleanstepscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Aaron Newsom
Business Location
United States
If he is in fact dead set on the cleaning. The list I would bring would be.
1. Generator- for blowers and a wet/dry vac to vac as much of the topical fungus.
2. Multiple gallons of microban.
3. Tyvek suits w/ masks
4. Pick up an additions cheap inline pool filter.
5. Chlorine tablets to drop in talk after completion and flushed.
6. A hefty invoice!

Reactions: aworxllc

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Flood with microban then clean. Wear a full face respirator. That looks pretty nasty.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Alcohol and sugar, sure. No biggie. But the amount of body soils that are growing in there too is what turns me off the job.

Saliva, vomit, maybe some blood from a fight or a trip and fall, even some more... intimate secretions are possibly hidden in there - how do you know there isn't something growing in that sticky steamy morass that isn't going to get into your lungs and make itself a nice home? It's obvious the carpet wasn't getting cleaned when the place was open, and with all that heat and moisture allowing the carpet to become a brewery itself, anything that might have been in those bodily fluids is multiplying too.

The overall condition of the entire room just screams danger. That amount of contamination is exceedingly dangerous and until the moisture is controlled, you can't get a grip on the growth. Adding more hot water to the job is just going to make it even worse. Should have been condemned. I shudder to think about the condition of the subfloor...

Nope. Not worth the risk, to me. Not without a hefty price tag that would frankly make it more expensive to clean than it would be to replace. I value my life and health far too much to do this kind of work without full PPE, negative air, and thorough dry-down from beginning to end.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If I were to tackle this, despite my misgivings, I'd be in full-face with OV/AGs. I'd HEPA-vac first to get as much potentially airborne stuff out of there as I could. Then a supression spray of either Sporicidin or blue-label Microban for the phenolic detergent activity, followed by another HEPA-vac. Only then would I clean, after which I'd be running dehus until the moisture dropped down to dry standard. Follow-up spray of Benefect Decon 30.

I'd be expecting to see discoloration, bare patches where the hyphae have been pulled from the fiber twists, delamination from the constant moisture, and rolling hills everywhere. I would also expect it to continue to smell foul until the room was dry. The subflooring and floor-contact walls are likely contaminated too, visibly or otherwise, so that will need to be addressed as well. Moisture migrates, and if the floor was wet enough to grow a forest, it's in the walls too. This is truly more of a drying job than a cleaning job, but the level of contamination calls for Cat 3 protocols.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I recommended he call a 59.95 whole house company to do the initial clean then after paying them reclean and sanitize.

Reactions: aworxllc

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Reminds me of the time I purchased a 1 ton 15 passenger van from a Southern Pennsylvania Strip club that hauled around the "Party Girls"
Pulled the seats and put them in storage while converting the van to cargo.
Pulled the seats out of storage and they were growing in the same fashion as that carpet.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
Reminds me of the time I purchased a 1 ton 15 passenger van from a Southern Pennsylvania Strip club that hauled around the "Party Girls"
Pulled the seats and put them in storage while converting the van to cargo.
Pulled the seats out of storage and they were growing in the same fashion as that carpet.
Kinda brings new meaning to 'tramp stamp', doesn't it(sorry, I couldn't resist.....

AndyT

Aug 8, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Andrew Thornberg
There is no power! No way to expedite the drying! Any kind of HWE is going to exasperate the situation. Until the power is turned on, their is no way to do the job and get it to dry expeditiously.
Don't even refer him to someone else, that would imply that it can be cleaned but you can't do it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States