Fedri got a new van.....but look what i got!! I paid cash!!!!! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Fedri got a new van.....but look what i got!! I paid cash!!!!!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Ok man I’m learning haven’t been in the game 1 year. So pardon the elementary type questions I have.

If one were to add a second 2” vac hole (port?) after drilling the hole what steps and what fitting would best be used and how to seal it?

I’ve never done this.
You can also enlarge the existing hole to a 2.5" fitting use a splitter to 2 filters and go back to 2" from the filters to the wand.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You can also enlarge the existing hole to a 2.5" fitting use a splitter to 2 filters and go back to 2" from the filters to the wand.
like this one? If you wouldn't use the cool cuffs what would you use? aluminum hose connections?

And, if we are going the this process are there hose minim / maximums to be mindful of from the vacuum to the filter and from filter to the Y?

And, again. Anyone should go through this trouble because it provides more initial vacuum and over the course of a job as debris gets trapped in the filter, right? Even someone running an airhog from a van?

Im down for improving a system but I need to know the why as well.

Thank everyone in advance.
1571052771419.png

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
We keep everything for the filter in the truck, unroll the hoses and hook it up. I'm not going to setup the filters outside the truck on the ground on every job, wastes to much time for unnecessary steps. Using a dual filter setup with a lower inline and the upper offline allows the lower filter to catch 90% of the debris and the upper filter allows air to bypass the lower performance robbing filter. The y fitting before the 2 filters has to be vertical for it to work properly and I like to keep it last 10' of vacuum hose in a straight line leading to the filters. Gravity keeps the water and debris going to the bottom filter and the upper mainly processes air, thus retaining tip top performance from the time you start the job, until you finish. I don't use any leaky cuffs, just vac hose to internal hose connectors or the y fittings. Vac leaks are the enemy.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
We keep everything for the filter in the truck, unroll the hoses and hook it up. I'm not going to setup the filters outside the truck on the ground on every job, wastes to much time for unnecessary steps. Using a dual filter setup with a lower inline and the upper offline allows the lower filter to catch 90% of the debris and the upper filter allows air to bypass the lower performance robbing filter. The y fitting before the 2 filters has to be vertical for it to work properly and I like to keep it last 10' of vacuum hose in a straight line leading to the filters. Gravity keeps the water and debris going to the bottom filter and the upper mainly processes air, thus retaining tip top performance from the time you start the job, until you finish. I don't use any leaky cuffs, just vac hose to internal hose connectors or the y fittings. Vac leaks are the enemy.
Im not sure if Im interpreting your directions correctly. It seems it would be very hard to have 10' hose in a straight line leading to the filters and still have it in the van. Im running an Astro for crying out loud.

IF I AM understanding it would be: 2.5" opening on air hog > 10' hose (straight preferably) > splitter > 2 filters > Y (that would most likely need to be mounted and secured to remain vertical) > 2" hose to wand

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Im not sure if Im interpreting your directions correctly. It seems it would be very hard to have 10' hose in a straight line leading to the filters and still have it in the van. Im running an Astro for crying out loud.

IF I AM understanding it would be: 2.5" opening on air hog > 10' hose (straight preferably) > splitter > 2 filters > Y (that would most likely need to be mounted and secured to remain vertical) > 2" hose to wand
lower inline and the upper offline allows the lower filter to catch 90% of the debris and the upper filter allows air to bypass the lower performance robbing filter. The y fitting before the 2 filters has to be vertical for it to work

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

No this is not right, I will explain it again in a different format later this evening.

Reactions: Select

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Here's a few pictures to describe the setup. From the waste tank. Hose length doesn't matter.

20171020_193333.jpg

The filters side by side in a tray to catch leaky hydroforce filters. Length of hose from the filters to the y fitting doesn't matter.

20191014_123417.jpg

The y fitting need's to be vertical i.e. the 45° 2" branch has to be in this position. This separates water from mostly air. From the y fitting leading to the wand keep "a straight line with only this section". This allows gravity and the least turbulence to allow the waste water and debris to be directed to the lower filter.

20190718_221354.jpg

You can try this without any mods by using a 2" y fitting on each side of the filters and then you can make the call on performance and if you want to continue to add another port or a 2.5".

I ran my CDS like this for many years and can tell unequivocally that this arrangement gives you more power at the wand while going longer between filter changes than a single filter.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Thanks Jim. Looking forward to just keeping the handfuls of hair out of my airhog and in the filter. Will be easier to keep the airhog clean and I think the customers will love the clear filter and looking at all the debris in it!
I'm hoping since I suspended the hydroforce it will look nicer longer and the cap will not be a issue!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
If your truck mount has two vac ports why not use a Y from the truck with a filter on each ?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Here's a few pictures to describe the setup. From the waste tank. Hose length doesn't matter.

View attachment 87613

The filters side by side in a tray to catch leaky hydroforce filters. Length of hose from the filters to the y fitting doesn't matter.

View attachment 87614

The y fitting need's to be vertical i.e. the 45° 2" branch has to be in this position. This separates water from mostly air. From the y fitting leading to the wand keep "a straight line with only this section". This allows gravity and the least turbulence to allow the waste water and debris to be directed to the lower filter.

View attachment 87615

You can try this without any mods by using a 2" y fitting on each side of the filters and then you can make the call on performance and if you want to continue to add another port or a 2.5".

I ran my CDS like this for many years and can tell unequivocally that this arrangement gives you more power at the wand while going longer between filter changes than a single filter.
Ok Jim Im following you. I see some personal discretion towards modifications ids always a possibility.

Let me ask you - actually first...recently you mentioned specifically having 2 Boss filters by relibuilt. IS THAT the same as the new TMF filters made by reliabuilt? (hoping not because that's $1Grand of filters out of the box).

Second, in your opinion do you think the TMF Boss filter would address some of these concerns a 2 filter setup is designed to address?

I do realize that politics of the board could get ugly but you never seemed to shy away from speaking your mind (respectfully). Not looking to start a war I ask for educational purposes so that I can come to my own conclusions. Albeit shaped by feedback here that makes sense to me.

Did I say thank you up to this point for all the help so far? If not, thank you.

P.S. @Fedri this is your thread but its taken a tangent. Im happy for you new vehicle. Shortly here I will jump on another different 'winter' thread and pick your brain about how you manage jobs in the winter time bringing equipment in etc. Seems like a drag on the customer!!

So interested in getting ahead (or just in time) to try and manage that aspect!

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Ok Jim Im following you. I see some personal discretion towards modifications ids always a possibility.

Let me ask you - actually first...recently you mentioned specifically having 2 Boss filters by relibuilt. IS THAT the same as the new TMF filters made by reliabuilt? (hoping not because that's $1Grand of filters out of the box).

Second, in your opinion do you think the TMF Boss filter would address some of these concerns a 2 filter setup is designed to address?

I do realize that politics of the board could get ugly but you never seemed to shy away from speaking your mind (respectfully). Not looking to start a war I ask for educational purposes so that I can come to my own conclusions. Albeit shaped by feedback here that makes sense to me.

Did I say thank you up to this point for all the help so far? If not, thank you.

P.S. @Fedri this is your thread but its taken a tangent. Im happy for you new vehicle. Shortly here I will jump on another different 'winter' thread and pick your brain about how you manage jobs in the winter time bringing equipment in etc. Seems like a drag on the customer!!

How is this Fedris thread???

• Haha
Reactions: Fedri

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

Yes I was talking about the reliabilt boss filter. 2 of them for CGD or TM use will give premium performance. We have some commercial hallways that even after the wide area vacuum did its thing we would clog a single hydroforce in 150', dual filters in the
offline arrangement could go 400'. Separating the waste and air streams was the answer for us. I'm doing CGD all day the next couple days. Been waiting for the dew point to finally drop to do this job that is open to the environment, now I can straight mow it down and dry times will be fantastic.

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Yes I was talking about the reliabilt boss filter. 2 of them for CGD or TM use will give premium performance. We have some commercial hallways that even after the wide area vacuum did its thing we would clog a single hydroforce in 150', dual filters in the
offline arrangement could go 400'. Separating the waste and air streams was the answer for us. I'm doing CGD all day the next couple days. Been waiting for the dew point to finally drop to do this job that is open to the environment, now I can straight mow it down and dry times will be fantastic.
Wait, what?
Now we are talking from an already long hose run of 150’ to a Monstorous 400’ hose run with a truck mount all because of filtration?

Does that mean a small timer with an air hog like me could extend hose runs dramatically with a $1000 worth of filters?

Side note: didn’t realize CGD calls for maximum filtration?

I should apologize to everyone. When a question gets answered I have three more.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Wait, what?
Now we are talking from an already long hose run of 150’ to a Monstorous 400’ hose run with a truck mount all because of filtration?

Does that mean a small timer with an air hog like me could extend hose runs dramatically with a $1000 worth of filters?

Side note: didn’t realize CGD calls for maximum filtration?

I should apologize to everyone. When a question gets answered I have three more.
Whoa, let's not get all crazy now. Hose runs are limited by the power you have to start with. You are good to 150' with a good tight system.

Some of the high rise common hallways we do have all entry points on the corners of the parking deck, the soil is plain old dirt, brake dust and tire rubber, really heavy filter clogging soil that has to be flushed out. Certain sections that are 600' we attach the TM to the dump valve of the portable and go the last 150' like that. These can be bonneted possibly twice max before TMing is necessary.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips

View attachment 87613

View attachment 87614

View attachment 87615

I wonder if there is a way to make a single piece easily portable filter system that achieves this for those of us who aren't set up to leave everything in the truck or for those jobs that require running a portable in the building.