Fastest Way to Clean VCT | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Fastest Way to Clean VCT

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
I’ve recently had a couple of larger VCT stripping and waxing jobs. Had me questioning whether my method was as efficient/ effective as possible when trying to cover large areas.

In the past I have use several methods. The one I find to be the fastest now is to use my truck mount to rinse off the floors after I have stripped them with the 175 and a black pad.

Sometimes we can’t run the truck mount and a mop and bucket works...but it’s slow.

What methods and products do you use to help you get through a job like this faster? I’ve also been looking into a burnisher, can anyone explain the benefits/advantages of having a burnisher AND a 175?

Andrew

SofaKing

Jan 27, 2020
Real Name
TJ Farris
The only real benefit I see to having both is if you have a bunch of maintenance contracts as well. The big reason to have a burnisher is when using a floor Finish that responds well to frequent burnishing to lengthen the time between strip and wax or top scrub and wax. I use my auto scrubber to clean / strip / rinse the floor and then put down new Floor Finish. Then I Autoscrub and Burnish between strip / wax cycles. Burnishing a floor will just bring the gloss back to a dull or scuffed top coat in between strip / wax cycles. You will typically get more mileage out of your top coat if you burnish it frequently and keep it in good shape. A Burnisher also comes in handy if you use a floor Restore product to help restore gloss and or traction if the top coat stops responding well to burnishing. Betco One Step is one of my Go To's, Put that in the Autoscrubber or Mop on and let dry then go back over and burnish it to a high slip resistant gloss. I have also In a pinch mixed floor finish and water 50/50 in a spray bottle if I didn't have any restorer on hand and spray buffed the floor with the burnisher with decent results.

Last edited:

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
The only real benefit I see to having both is if you have a bunch of maintenance contracts as well. The big reason to have a burnisher is when using a floor Finish that responds well to frequent burnishing to lengthen the time between strip and wax or top scrub and wax. I use my auto scrubber to clean / strip / rinse the floor and then put down new Floor Finish. Then I Autoscrub and Burnish between strip / wax cycles. Burnishing a floor will just bring the gloss back to a dull or scuffed top coat in between strip / wax cycles. You will typically get more mileage out of your top coat if you burnish it frequently and keep it in good shape. A Burnisher also comes in handy if you use a floor Restore product to help restore gloss and or traction if the top coat stops responding well to burnishing. Betco One Step is one of my Go To's, Put that in the Autoscrubber or Mop on and let dry then go back over and burnish it to a high slip resistant gloss. I have also In a pinch mixed floor finish and water 50/50 in a spray bottle if I didn't have any restorer on hand and spray buffed the floor with the burnisher with decent results.
This was really helpful, thanks! I ended up purchasing a burnisher last night, cleaned it up today and tested it out in my garage. Going to be buying some pads and some of that floor restore product.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I’ve recently had a couple of larger VCT stripping and waxing jobs. Had me questioning whether my method was as efficient/ effective as possible when trying to cover large areas.

In the past I have use several methods. The one I find to be the fastest now is to use my truck mount to rinse off the floors after I have stripped them with the 175 and a black pad.

Sometimes we can’t run the truck mount and a mop and bucket works...but it’s slow.

What methods and products do you use to help you get through a job like this faster? I’ve also been looking into a burnisher, can anyone explain the benefits/advantages of having a burnisher AND a 175?

Andrew
This was just the post I was looking for! I'm wondering Andrew how many hands on deck when your s&w? I'm so short staffed and my vct jobs are spread out it's hard to hire help. Wondering what's the easiest for me to tackle alone. Right now we use either 175 or cimex black pads and extract with TM. When you say rinse with your TM are you running fresh water too? Biggest concern for me is trying to strip and then extract before it starts to dry up in spots . Any advice would be great. We have a burnisher in the shop but have never used it!

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
This was just the post I was looking for! I'm wondering Andrew how many hands on deck when your s&w? I'm so short staffed and my vct jobs are spread out it's hard to hire help. Wondering what's the easiest for me to tackle alone. Right now we use either 175 or cimex black pads and extract with TM. When you say rinse with your TM are you running fresh water too? Biggest concern for me is trying to strip and then extract before it starts to dry up in spots . Any advice would be great. We have a burnisher in the shop but have never used it!
Then you arnt putting enough stripper down. “Dry out” only happens when there’s not enough liquid on the floor either stripper or cold water.
Personally I’d never use a truck mount to pick up old stripped wax. What a mess. Go get a cheap wet dry vac. Same said for a cimex. Get a cheap swing machine. Neither of those machines were made for stripping and waxing imo.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Then you arnt putting enough stripper down. “Dry out” only happens when there’s not enough liquid on the floor either stripper or cold water.
Personally I’d never use a truck mount to pick up old stripped wax. What a mess. Go get a cheap wet dry vac. Same said for a cimex. Get a cheap swing machine. Neither of those machines were made for stripping and waxing imo.
Interesting,....I'm just doing like I was trained so your saying a good shop vac will do well enough to extract? @floorclean are you doing s&w on your own? How are you applying the stripper, sprayer or shower feeding through the scrubber? I have used both a 175 and cimex for stripping I thought the cimex does a good job but maybe I should go back to the 175 and compare the two. Any others weigh in on the strip and wax?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Interesting,....I'm just doing like I was trained so your saying a good shop vac will do well enough to extract? @floorclean are you doing s&w on your own? How are you applying the stripper, sprayer or shower feeding through the scrubber? I have used both a 175 and cimex for stripping I thought the cimex does a good job but maybe I should go back to the 175 and compare the two. Any others weigh in on the strip and wax?
You shouldn’t be putting stripper down with a sprayer or a shower feed. It’s no wonder it’s drying out on you. Mix your stripper into a mop pail ( 30L rubber maid trash can for large areas) and just flood the friggen floor with a mop and keep flooding it and moving it with the mop. When you can bend down and scratch the floor with your finger nails and your not getting wax under them that’s the time to scrub it with a swing machine and a black or high pro purple pad. And personally wouldn’t use the shop vac brand of wet/dry there kind of useless get a cheap commercial one they have better hoses and dial a job floor tool.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer
Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
You shouldn’t be putting stripper down with a sprayer or a shower feed. It’s no wonder it’s drying out on you. Mix your stripper into a mop pail ( 30L rubber maid trash can for large areas) and just flood the friggen floor with a mop and keep flooding it and moving it with the mop. When you can bend down and scratch the floor with your finger nails and your not getting wax under them that’s the time to scrub it with a swing machine and a black or high pro purple pad. And personally wouldn’t use the shop vac brand of wet/dry there kind of useless get a cheap commercial one they have better hoses and dial a job floor tool.
This is really helpful I'm going to try this out next job I get, I'll admit they aren't the most looked forward to jobs but we've got some repeat accounts that give us a nice payday.

tracywalker 1

Jan 14, 2012
Don't use your truckmount! Buy a shop vac and get a decent sized floor squeegee on a mop handle. Mop down the stripper as heavy as you can without it damaging walls, running onto adjacent carpet etc. Scrub an area then squeegee slurry into a pile and shop vac it, then clean mop and you are usually good to go in that area. While doing all that have the next area to strip soaking and someone scrubbing the edges. With 3 people this setup is can be real efficient.