Extended sick time employees?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
call a temp agency and tell them you need a couple of guys for a couple of months,, they work for the temp agency not for you...

I am out recovering from hernia surgery but im going to go do a job tomorrow,, they say hernia recovery is two weeks im about ready to go back its boring
Not had great success with temps.

I got one white racist who thought he was a rapper. They sent a nice black lady with him as a temp too. Needless to say they didn't get along.

Had one on a construction cleanup job where he had to vacuum the basement. I had to go manage the other 5 floors and by the time I got back to him 2 hours later he was standing in the same spot with nothing vacuumed. When asked why he didn't vacuum he said that he couldn't find a plug. I calmly pointed out the plug behind him.

Same job I'd buy them whatever they wanted from subway everyday. I didn't know till later but one woman was apparently buying enough subs to feed her family later on.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Thanks everyone for pointing out FMLA. I actually just thought that was for military and pregnant women!

Officially: "In order to be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must have been at the business at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months, and work at a location where the company employs 50 or more employees within 75 miles."

In other words, you're likely too tiny to have them covered by FMLA.

BUT.

Legally, you're under no obligation from what I (as an uneducated layman) can tell. But morally - would you be able to look them in the eyes and tell them Sorry, I won't take you back after your surgery? Would you want the hassle if they did try to take you to court, even if they had no substantive case?

Can you 1099 someone in til they come back, maybe?
Yeah we are under 50. I'm not trying to fire anyone, but I can't be down 2 people everyday. The 2 that are out are part timers and now have unknown illness so even doctors don't know how long they'll be.

So while I have a heart I don't want to just hire 2 people and have to fire them when the others recover. At the same time the show must go on.

Thanks for the 1099 suggestion but that's not for me. None of my staff would ever qualify for that.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Then my suggestion would be to tell them this:

"I hate that you're going through a health crisis right now. I want you to focus on yourself and getting well, and taking time with your family. If there's room for you once you're better, I'll be more than thrilled to have you back. I wish you speedy healing!". And you leave it at that. If they question you on that, let them know gently that you don't want them to be worried about work, you'll find some folks to get the job done so they can focus on their health and you can keep the business operating as it should.

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
A small cleaning company I used to work for helped out a guy by paying his health insurance. That was 10 plus years ago so the premium wasn't to bad, nowadays don't know if that could work.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Then my suggestion would be to tell them this:

"I hate that you're going through a health crisis right now. I want you to focus on yourself and getting well, and taking time with your family. If there's room for you once you're better, I'll be more than thrilled to have you back. I wish you speedy healing!". And you leave it at that. If they question you on that, let them know gently that you don't want them to be worried about work, you'll find some folks to get the job done so they can focus on their health and you can keep the business operating as it should.
that's right you have a business to run, its not a daycare

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Officially: "In order to be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must have been at the business at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months, and work at a location where the company employs 50 or more employees within 75 miles."

In other words, you're likely too tiny to have them covered by FMLA.

BUT.

Legally, you're under no obligation from what I (as an uneducated layman) can tell. But morally - would you be able to look them in the eyes and tell them Sorry, I won't take you back after your surgery? Would you want the hassle if they did try to take you to court, even if they had no substantive case?

Can you 1099 someone in til they come back, maybe?
Mama Fen, In answer to the last question you ask the simple answer is, no. A 1099 requires several criteria to be met and a person acting as an employee is an employee unless they can meet very specific criteria.

http://galachoruses.org/sites/default/files/IRS-20-questions-W2-vs-1099.pdf

Last edited:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Ahhh, then that negates it as an option. Thanks for the info. I was hopeful, but not everything is solved with hope, heh.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Wow. A literal 20-questions. :LOL:

ash

Mar 15, 2017
Real Name
ash d
Pretty sure all but four? states are at will. But yea, unless they have only been with you for under a couple months touch base with a lawyer.