Explaining The process to your customer. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Explaining The process to your customer.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
As you all know that do mostly LM work, Explaining the process to the customer is sometimes a interesting speech. We get a lot of questions all the time like, How does it remove dirt w/o vacuum and will it harm my carpet etc. etc. I'm interested in hearing how everyone handles this and do you have a speech? Have you ever been turned away? Any interesting story's?

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
As you all know that do mostly LM work, Explaining the process to the customer is sometimes a interesting speech. We get a lot of questions all the time like, How does it remove dirt w/o vacuum and will it harm my carpet etc. etc. I'm interested in hearing how everyone handles this and do you have a speech? Have you ever been turned away? Any interesting story's?
That's funny, we have been asking those same questions here as well...

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
No I haven't but I have had clients who insist on HWE. I always have a porty on board so it has never been an issue. However I have heard of people who only have LM equipment and was curious to see how they handle it.

andys

May 12, 2011
ohio
Real Name
andy beaire
Business Location
United States
We have been turning all of our customers into encap customers. First thing we do is tell our customers why we no longer HWE. I have 25 years of faithful customers so it is a little easier for us but there are some that wonder what we are doing. Number one sell them on LM, most are not going to argue about being able to use their carpet in less than an hour !! I don't care what any die hard HWE person says to you about water not getting into the backing of the carpet. It does get into the backing unless they are cleaning at 150 psi or less and I'm sure they are not. We have been watching this and looking when we can when we HWE and just about every time we HWE the backing gets wet. Turning the psi down and raising our heat to 250 plus still does not help ....the backing is still getting wet ? If someone tells you it doesn't is full of it. Most jobs we HWE requires a pre-spray and some sort of agitation unless it is almost new. Then it takes high heat and great airflow with at least 15 hg of lift and very few passes to try not to wet the backing. LOL it still most of the time wets the backing. Just because it doesn't look wet on the back doesn't mean it is not wet. We are selling our truck mout and going 100% LM or encap. We have over 100 customers that we have used LM on in 2012 and they alll are very happy. They all have told us that their carpet has never looked better and it also seems to have not gotten dirty as fast. As far as selling them on LM I don't have to the job and results speak for themselves. But for a new client you might have to sell them on the features and bennifits of LM. And the dirt does come out. I have HWE the crap out of places and taken the cotton bonnet over the carpet and still got out dirt. I have also used LM with cotton bonnet and have HWE after and my water was not dirty ....where did the dirt go ? It went into my vac. and into my pad !! What is left is encapsulated and is removed later.

andys

May 12, 2011
ohio
Real Name
andy beaire
Business Location
United States
Some of the new encap products out there are just short of amazing. We have several on the van and use them all. I sell my customers on results. I have many customers that in the past HWE them only, and now they prefer our encap process because it works ! It works great and some stains that we were not able to get out of their carpet have now vanished for good. When it works it just works. When they ask where the dirt is going we ask them if they still see it in their carpet. They don't see it anymore so where did it go?, We ask them back! Most people don't care as long as they see results. I have only had a few people ask me to explain the process and I'm more than happy to because I'm sold on this process. When we are sold on the process and believe it works so will they. It doe's work and when done right can not be beat by any truck mout HWE process. I know because I have 2 powerful van mounted units that I'm now selling after 25 years of doing HWE. I have heard and seen it all and have sat in many class rooms. Bigger is not better in this case. You can spend 50 to 100k on a HWE set up. Is it going to out clean my encap process ? My customers don't think so and they have the final say on the matter no matter who thinks they are right lol...These are customers that I have put blood sweat and tears into. 10's of thousands of advertising dollars and many back breaking hours getting them from my competition. I would not for a minnute do anything that I thought would cause them not to call me back again. I have not lost one of them because I now encap them. These HWE experts will tell me and you that we are shampooing their carpet. This is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. Encap is the future of this business. As a matter of fact I know some people down in Dalton that use this very same process on their carpet. But you have people out there saying oh my god your going to void out the warranty...!!! I know certified people in the business that HWE and they have voided out the warranty and did nothing wrong at all. The mill is going to use any reason they can to not warrantee the carpet. Fact !!! I have never in my 25 years of cleaning seen anyone get satisfaction for their carpet on any kind of warrantee unless the carpet had real flaws. There are a lot of idiots in this business. Why is encap taking this business by storm ? Is it a fad? I think not.

Reactions: King Cobra

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I try to give a very good idea of what to expect when talking to a prospect over the phone. I don't want the customer to be surprised when they see a goofy guy with a goofy machine.

Instead, I want them to expect a goofy guy with a goofy machine....

Every conversation is a little different, but the following is usually mentioned:

-Pre vacuum prior to cleaning
-Mix detergents on site based on the carpets condition (spots/stains, traffic, etc.)
-After vacuum apply the mix and let dwell
-Use a microfiber/fiber plus pad agitate the detergent into the carpet
-Follow with a second terry/cotton pad
-Post vacuum to groom and help with dry time
-Dries in 90 minutes

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

0331grunt

Feb 3, 2011
OK
Real Name
Craig Osburn
Business Location
United States
I try to give a very good idea of what to expect when talking to a prospect over the phone. I don't want the customer to be surprised when they see a goofy guy with a goofy machine.

Every conversation is a little different, but the following is usually mentioned:

-Mix detergents on site based on the carpets condition (spots/stains, traffic, etc.)
-Dries in 90 minutes
Damon, I'm new to this scene, but what kind of vacuum are you using to post vac with? Isn't there still some moisture left? Just curious and looking to add this service this year to my customers as well. Thanks.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States

-Dries in 90 minutes
The post vacuum to groom step here. - what equipment do you use? Isn't the carpet wet/damp? Crb?

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Damon, I'm new to this scene, but what kind of vacuum are you using to post vac with? Isn't there still some moisture left? Just curious and looking to add this service this year to my customers as well. Thanks.
Haha - I did not see this post Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
We have been turning all of our customers into encap customers. First thing we do is tell our customers why we no longer HWE. I have 25 years of faithful customers so it is a little easier for us but there are some that wonder what we are doing. Number one sell them on LM, most are not going to argue about being able to use their carpet in less than an hour !! I don't care what any die hard HWE person says to you about water not getting into the backing of the carpet. It does get into the backing unless they are cleaning at 150 psi or less and I'm sure they are not. We have been watching this and looking when we can when we HWE and just about every time we HWE the backing gets wet. Turning the psi down and raising our heat to 250 plus still does not help ....the backing is still getting wet ? If someone tells you it doesn't is full of it. Most jobs we HWE requires a pre-spray and some sort of agitation unless it is almost new. Then it takes high heat and great airflow with at least 15 hg of lift and very few passes to try not to wet the backing. LOL it still most of the time wets the backing. Just because it doesn't look wet on the back doesn't mean it is not wet. We are selling our truck mout and going 100% LM or encap. We have over 100 customers that we have used LM on in 2012 and they alll are very happy. They all have told us that their carpet has never looked better and it also seems to have not gotten dirty as fast. As far as selling them on LM I don't have to the job and results speak for themselves. But for a new client you might have to sell them on the features and bennifits of LM. And the dirt does come out. I have HWE the crap out of places and taken the cotton bonnet over the carpet and still got out dirt. I have also used LM with cotton bonnet and have HWE after and my water was not dirty ....where did the dirt go ? It went into my vac. and into my pad !! What is left is encapsulated and is removed later.
I'm new to VLM. I'm a truckmount guy, doing it a long time. I've done a few jobs that were lightly soiled, with VLM. Pre vac and post vac. I'm concerned about the carpet not being soft after VLM. No call backs, yet. The area nobody walks on, along the walls, under furniture, is were I find it the worst. I been experimenting on my own carpet. I only used 4 oz. per gallon. I been using microfiber with strips and then going over it with a 100% cotton bonnet. Commercial carpet would not be a problem, but residential, it sure is. I've tried 3 different encaps. Should the carpet feel stiff after VLM?

cleaningservicepros

Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I use a Windsor Sensor S12. Does a great job of pre-vaccing the carpet. Great for post-vac as well, but it does need to be cleaned out regularly. Also have a Reliavac on hand as a back-up. Workhorse vacuum.

If you're cleaning any substantial amount of space and post-vac from where you had started cleaning you'll find that the carpet is barely damp at best.

Others will brush/groom when instead of post-vaccing.

cleaningservicepros

Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
What encaps have you used? How much solution are you applying per area?

Also, I would suggest wringing the cotton pad in hot water and getting it nice and wet before you use it.

I'm new to VLM. I'm a truckmount guy, doing it a long time. I've done a few jobs that were lightly soiled, with VLM. Pre vac and post vac. I'm concerned about the carpet not being soft after VLM. No call backs, yet. The area nobody walks on, along the walls, under furniture, is were I find it the worst. I been experimenting on my own carpet. I only used 4 oz. per gallon. I been using microfiber with strips and then going over it with a 100% cotton bonnet. Commercial carpet would not be a problem, but residential, it sure is. I've tried 3 different encaps. Should the carpet feel stiff after VLM?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
What encaps have you used? How much solution are you applying per area?

Also, I would suggest wringing the cotton pad in hot water and getting it nice and wet before you use it.
Encapuclean, Encapuclean 02, Hot Knife. I don't think I'm spraying down to much.
I used the real thick cotton pads. Your saying I should use them wet.

cleaningservicepros

Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Personally, I don't like using Hot Knife on resi carpet. That's just me though. I would suggest Advance Encap Green, Peroxcellent, Intensity Green or Red. I like Hot Knife a lot, but for commercial applications.

Not sure what the applicable Bonnet Pro or Relasit products would be, but would suggest the same.

What cotton pads are you using? Glad pads, Superzorbs?

If you over spray an area it can lead to the carpet feeling stiff - at least until its vacced again. That's my experience at least.

From the other day:

This was after (!!) pre-spray and dwell - should have seen it before

After:

Encapuclean, Encapuclean 02, Hot Knife. I don't think I'm spraying down to much.
I used the real thick cotton pads. Your saying I should use them wet.

Reactions: Bob Gablein

chrissalter

Oct 7, 2010
fl
Real Name
chris salter
Business Location
United States
Nice Damon!!! Stiff carpet is the encap once dry a good vacuum solves it. Be sure to rake or vacuum after to reset the pile.

Reactions: cleaningservicepros

Robin Metzger

Feb 25, 2012
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
www.advanced-cleaning.ca
Real Name
Robin Metzger
Business Location
Canada
Hers a ques.. I have tried to encap res carpets in they past with no luck at all.. All I get is call backs on all res carpet unless it is Berber style.. I use cymex and have tried a few encap solutions aswell. What can I do to make it turn out better?

chrissalter

Oct 7, 2010
fl
Real Name
chris salter
Business Location
United States
Cimex agitates but lacks extraction. You need a pad to absorb the dirt. Could also be the cleaner you used. I have seen cimexs clean residential very well. I forget who he was but he sold his tm's went cimex for residential exclusive wasn't he a tm member?

andys

May 12, 2011
ohio
Real Name
andy beaire
Business Location
United States
Sometimes after we encap the carpet is a little stiff. After post vacuum it goe's away. After many vacuums it is gone. This is by design ,the dry solution that is left in the carpet is a dry polymer that breaks up and is removed during the vacuum process. We always post vacuum during our cleaning process. By the time we are done with the job the carpet is dry when we clean. If not we clean up our equipment close up the van do a walk through with the customer then by that time the carpet is dry and we vacuum the areas that were still a little damp. I have never had a customer tell me their carpet was hard or stiff.