Ever bumped a small job for a large one?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Be honest, when you are booked solid have you ever bumped a 1-2 room low end job for let’s say a high end 6-12 room job?

Reactions: Joshua Johnson

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Never! Not something I would ever do. Now I have had a customer call in with an emergency and we were booked solid. So we called the next customer and asked if it would be too much of an inconvenience if we were later to their job than the scheduled time after explaining why. They were more than acceptable and understanding. This has happened a few times but we always give the customer the option to say no and have had some say NO!

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Never have and never will, imagine if customers bumped you for a cheaper company. I know it has happened to us before and we say that is the type of clients we don't want. So if we do it to our jobs aren't we the type of company the customer doesn't want?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I never have. That small customer today could be a gold mine for referrals tomorrow. I treat all customers with the same respect no matter if they are a minimum job or a huge multi thousand dollar stone job.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have bumped jobs but only if I know the customer is ok with it and it won't cause them a problem. I do believe in first come first serve. I won't do it if I think it's going to cause them a problem. An example would be some of the jobs I have down for this week do not really matter which day they're done so if I had to offset them a day or 2 it wouldn't be a problem. I already know these customers aren't in a super hurry and are a little flexible. In all the years I've been cleaning it's rarely even come up, but I think I have done it a few times. I'm not going to lose a customer over it though so I make sure they're really ok with it. I think when I have done it that it's been for a business that really, really needed it done on a particular day. Honestly, it's been years and I can't even remember the last time I did it.

Reactions: smart n kleen

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
dont know what you mean by bump but if I get a call for a vacant whole house (my favorite) and they need it done on a certain day that I already have filled I tell them that I will call the people that have those appointments and try to get them moved.

95% of the time its just fine. I have great customers.

BTW, I dont offer it in the phone conversation when I try to reschedule, but when it comes time to do the cleaning for the rescheduled job, I do show a discount on the receipt and make sure to thank them.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I move scheduled jobs all the time. Real estate deals are more urgent so when they come in I try to move other jobs to accommodate.
Usually when I do the estimate I get a feel for the customers urgency and I know who I can bump if needed.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I know many who offer emergency water damage and will drop carpet jobs even if they won't reschedule. Therefore I ask this question.

Also if it's a "hood" job would one move the hood job to another day at chance risking losing it for an upscale 500-1000 job?

Reactions: DrummerTW

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
We don't have any "hood" jobs on our schedule

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
I know many who offer emergency water damage and will drop carpet jobs even if they won't reschedule. Therefore I ask this question.

Also if it's a "hood" job would one move the hood job to another day at chance risking losing it for an upscale 500-1000 job?
Water damage is about the only reason I’ll drop a job and will do that every time if needed. The person with their house full of water needs more help than the person with the dirty carpet imo but the day to day cleaning work I’ll never cancel one to accommodate the other.. first in, first served there.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Prices keep us where we want to be.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
I'm ashamed to admit. But yes, yes I have.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Barter sounds like one of those nice clean words.