even considering hiring, what I saw today | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

even considering hiring, what I saw today

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Just in the last week I went to Sams Club and Jack in the Box.

Sams club now has this new app where you scan each item with your phone as you put it in your basket and then when you are done you pay right through the app with your credit card. I used the app. The last thing I picked up was a pack of paper plates clear back in the back corner of the store. Knowing I was done I paid for everything while standing right there by the paper plates then I walked up front going right past the registers and right out the door. One thing I did notice....there were no lines at the registers like there used to be.

At Jack in the box I went in and there at the front counter were 3 touch screen computers. You walked up, put your order in, and paid all without ever seeing or talking to an employee.

All raising the minimum wage is doing is eliminating the entry level jobs. Now there are 660 Sams Club locations in the United States with at least 30 employees each they can "let go". There's 20,000 people now out of work because minimum wage has gone up so high that the employer can not continue to pay a person to do what can be done by the consumer with modern technology.

Right now using the app is optional but I guarantee you within a couple years it will be the way all shopping is done. Don't think for a minute that it will stop with Sams Club either, wal mart is just a couple minutes behind, then target, Home Depot, Lowes, all your grocery stores..... 5 years from now you will see one employee doing what 10 used to.

Add in the loss of employees at fast food restaurants and you are going to see millions of people put out of work because minimum wage has gone so high but that's ok, at least people can now live off minimum wage:rolleyes::banghead:.

Last edited:

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I'm in Phoenix for the weekend and saw Chic-Fila had a sign that they was hiring with $11/hr to start. I asked my brother in law what minimum wage is here and he said over $10/hr, our minimum wage is $7.25 back home. Kind of explains why guys talk about my rates being so low, $10-11/hr is a dream starting pay where I'm from.
How are you liking the 90 degree weather in March? Lol.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

Add in the loss of employees at fast food restaurants and you are going to see millions of people put out of work because minimum wage has gone so high but that's ok, at least people can now live off minimum wage:rolleyes::banghead:.

That's just inevitable change, consequence of a developed nation. In 1800, 83 percent of all Americans were in agriculture, 35 percent by 1900...

We're still here.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Reactions: russrroberts

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Sams club now has this new app where you scan each item with your phone as you put it in your basket and then when you are done you pay right through the app with your credit card. I used the app. The last thing I picked up was a pack of paper plates clear back in the back corner of the store. Knowing I was done I paid for everything while standing right there by the paper plates then I walked up front going right past the registers and right out the door. One thing I did notice....there were no lines at the registers like there used to be.

At Jack in the box I went in and there at the front counter were 3 touch screen computers. You walked up, put your order in, and paid all without ever seeing or talking to an employee.

All raising the minimum wage is doing is eliminating the entry level jobs. Now there are 660 Sams Club locations in the United States with at least 30 employees each they can "let go". There's 20,000 people now out of work because minimum wage has gone up so high that the employer can not continue to pay a person to do what can be done by the consumer with modern technology.

Right now using the app is optional but I guarantee you within a couple years it will be the way all shopping is done. Don't think for a minute that it will stop with Sams Club either, wal mart is just a couple minutes behind, then target, Home Depot, Lowes, all your grocery stores..... 5 years from now you will see one employee doing what 10 used to.

I think both are awesome because I bet you didn't get your food order wrong and you didn't have to put stuff in your cart, take it out, put it back in and then leave.

I wonder though how they handle theft?

You know what else is awesome? All those displaced workers will be available to hire for my cleaning service :D

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
You know what else is awesome? All those displaced workers will be available to hire for my cleaning service :D

Keep dreaming. More like the displaced workers will get government help to get schooling/training to cut hair, clean teeth, be CNA. But they will never work because they get used to the government help and become welfare abusers.

Reactions: Mike Krall

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I think both are awesome because I bet you didn't get your food order wrong and you didn't have to put stuff in your cart, take it out, put it back in and then leave.

Additionally they're already developing robots to handle fast food even to deliver the meal

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Keep dreaming. More like the displaced workers will get government help to get schooling/training to cut hair, clean teeth, be CNA. But they will never work because they get used to the government help and become welfare abusers.

Is that how the program actually works?

It's actually a serious issue. Automation will continue to displace workers.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Additionally they're already developing robots to handle fast food even to deliver the meal

UPS drivers?

You mean make the food or deliver to customers?

I guess I'm old school, I like talking and interacting with people. I hate those self checkout lines and when they try to corral me to that line I ask if they enjoy killing off their job.

Don't get me wrong I also hate getting my order wrong, but like many have said it's supposed to be a starter job and if you can't handle that man you shouldn't have a job.

Reactions: StevenB.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

There is a person at the door with a tablet, they scan a barcode from your phones screen and your order comes up on their tablet. They look over your cart and then let you exit. The process at the door took about 30-45 seconds.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
To make the order and deliver inside the store to the customer

UPS drivers?

You mean make the food or deliver to customers?

I guess I'm old school, I like talking and interacting with people. I hate those self checkout lines and when they try to corral me to that line I ask if they enjoy killing off their job.

Don't get me wrong I also hate getting my order wrong, but like many have said it's supposed to be a starter job and if you can't handle that man you shouldn't have a job.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
My bad man, I didn't mean to wake you. I service Prescott and Phx and this last week in phx has been way too hot lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app
We are in Peoria visiting, I'm heading back to El Paso tomorrow in the morning. I might be coming back next weekend to get my wife as she is staying the week.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Very nice! My parents live in Peoria, nice city. Thinking of moving to AZ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app
I have no desire to move to Arizona. It is a nice area with higher income than El Paso but out of the places we have been to recently San Antonio is more my place I would choose if I did move.

Reactions: russrroberts

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Ha ha that did sound weird. My wife has a huge family (12 sisters and 3 brothers), there is a chance someone may be visiting that could bring her back home.

Holy cow that's like the Walton's and the Bradey Bunch combined!

Didn't her dad have any hobbies?!??!