Essential oils stain

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 12, 2013
Real Name
Francis Finnerty
Anybody have experience with those essential oils they put in lamps, I had a client spill some on his brand new carpet and he tried baking soda, peroxide, and resolve, he said after trying resolve it got even worse. I’ll send a pic would appreciate any suggestions, I was thinking degreaser and then acid rinse should do it..

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Looks like a small spot under all the browning he has caused with his home remidies. My first concern is all the distortion he has caused by scrubbing. Make sure he knows going in that he may have permanently damaged the fibers.

First thing I would do is a good rinse to get all his stuff out of the carpet before you start adding more chemicals. Rinse it, spray some acid rinse on it, and rinse again and see what you are really dealing with. I think I can see the oil stain under the browning. I’d use a gel solvent to try to remove the oil. Oil floats on water so I’d almost expect some wicking while drying, get that carpet as dry as possible with the wand then set a fan on it for an hour. If any wicking occours I’d mist on some encap and wipe it with a towel then put the fan on it again.

Aug 12, 2013
Real Name
Francis Finnerty
Looks like a small spot under all the browning he has caused with his home remidies. My first concern is all the distortion he has caused by scrubbing. Make sure he knows going in that he may have permanently damaged the fibers.

First thing I would do is a good rinse to get all his stuff out of the carpet before you start adding more chemicals. Rinse it, spray some acid rinse on it, and rinse again and see what you are really dealing with. I think I can see the oil stain under the browning. I’d use a gel solvent to try to remove the oil. Oil floats on water so I’d almost expect some wicking while drying, get that carpet as dry as possible with the wand then set a fan on it for an hour. If any wicking occours I’d mist on some encap and wipe it with a towel then put the fan on it again.
What gel solvent do you use?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Todd has the steps correct. He has to remove the stuff he added to the original problem. I would be concerned about fiber damage from scrubbing, stiff fibers and white powdery residue from baking soda, color loss from overuse of peroxide. Fiber damage and color loss cannot be corrected by cleaning. That would require replacing a section of carpet.

Don't make his problem your problem. Be sure he understands what you can fix and what is permanent damage.

All Solv Xtreme and a hot water rinse should work well on the essential oils.

Wicking may also be a concern. Try Spot Stop or encapsulation process.

Aug 12, 2013
Real Name
Francis Finnerty
Todd has the steps correct. He has to remove the stuff he added to the original problem. I would be concerned about fiber damage from scrubbing, stiff fibers and white powdery residue from baking soda, color loss from overuse of peroxide. Fiber damage and color loss cannot be corrected by cleaning. That would require replacing a section of carpet.

Don't make his problem your problem. Be sure he understands what you can fix and what is permanent damage.

All Solv Xtreme and a hot water rinse should work well on the essential oils.

Wicking may also be a concern. Try Spot Stop or encapsulation process.
Thanks for the insight much appreciated

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Call me crazy, but I think I'm seeing color loss underneath that oil slick. The fibers seem lighter than those around them, significantly.
I was hoping that was white chemical residue. It will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Aug 12, 2013
Real Name
Francis Finnerty
So I went this morning and used chem spec all fiber rinse on this stain to get rid of the residual chemicals from the customers attempts to clean, I sprayed it on and then vacuumed. I put a fan on it. When it dried it browned. Must of mixed the rinse to strong, plus I only vacuumed it, I didn’t go over it with the wand. I’m thinking just rinsing with wand using just water and vacuuming really good to get rid of the browning. I’ve never browned anything just using rinse before.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
  • Luky

Luky

Anybody have experience with those essential oils they put in lamps, I had a client spill some on his brand new carpet and he tried baking soda, peroxide, and resolve, he said after trying resolve it got even worse. I’ll send a pic would appreciate any suggestions, I was thinking degreaser and then acid rinse should do it..
Patch it up?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
So I went this morning and used chem spec all fiber rinse on this stain to get rid of the residual chemicals from the customers attempts to clean, I sprayed it on and then vacuumed. I put a fan on it. When it dried it browned. Must of mixed the rinse to strong, plus I only vacuumed it, I didn’t go over it with the wand. I’m thinking just rinsing with wand using just water and vacuuming really good to get rid of the browning. I’ve never browned anything just using rinse before.
Putting the rinse on was the right thing to do but after that you really needed to flush with the wand. Who knows just how much chemical the customer has put on there. It needs more than just a spray of acid rinse.

Go back one more time, rinse it until you are not seeing any more foam when the water hits the spot, then apply a light mist of acid rinse again and let it dry.

I do see improvement in your picture so I bet if you flush it out properly you will fix the problem.