Epoxy Floor Paint

mrkavin

Banned
Jul 4, 2021
Real Name
kavin
Fellas... I've done two go-rounds with the Rust-Oleum Epoxy paint on my garage floor. Each time it's lasted about 5 years before needing to be recoated.

I am looking for something that is more permanent and that will last a little longer.
I see that the Sherwin-Williams armor seal comes recommended and I plan to put that down.
Before I do I'm wondering how I should prepare the existing floor I certainly don't want to strip it.
would it be okay to sand it to create some tooth and just apply the top coat?

In the past I just scraped off the loose stuff and applied the base coat I'm thinking maybe
I should have sanded it after each recoat maybe it would have lasted a little longer....thoughts?

mrkavin

Banned
Jul 4, 2021
Real Name
kavin
Fellas... I've done two go-rounds with the Rust-Oleum Epoxy paint on my garage floor. Each time it's lasted about 5 years before needing to be recoated.

I am looking for something that is more permanent and that will last a little longer.
I see that the Sherwin-Williams armor seal comes recommended and I plan to put that down.
Before I do I'm wondering how I should prepare the existing floor I certainly don't want to strip it.
would it be okay to sand it to create some tooth and just apply the top coat?

In the past I just scraped off the loose stuff and applied the base coat I'm thinking maybe
I should have sanded it after each recoat maybe it would have lasted a little longer....thoughts? epoxy flooring jacksonville
Thanks for any advice...

katilicous

Dec 13, 2011
California
Real Name
Kati Manville
Business Location
United States
Why did it only last 5 years? Is it delaminating? If it is putting more epoxy over the top of a poorly prepped existing epoxy will fail. It's not the epoxy, it's the prep most of the time. You should grind the floor and make sure you have the called for surface profile which you can look up before applying whatever coating you plan to use. Different coatings call for different surface profiles.
Don't bother putting down a more expensive product over a failing cheaper product to get better results. The annoying thing about epoxy is the prep. It's annoying, dusty, usually expensive because you have to rent some machine. But it pays off in the longevity and finished product.