Entry Level TM vs Mid Range TM - How Much Better?

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Hello,

In the (Entry Level) corner I have the SS Rage and the HM Boxer 318.

In the (Mid Range) corner I have the SS 370 and the HM 423s.

The limited specs that I've read about these machines is not really pushing me to want to spend an extra third of hard earned on getting the mid range machine. In fact the spec's say that even though the mid range machines have #4 blowers the CFM and lift is only a tiny bit better than the entry level #3 blowers. Is this right, or is the #4 blower going to ensure that I'll get longer hose runs?

I have run porty's for over 4 years now guys. I think even just getting the HM boxer 318 is going to be a dream come true for me - but if anyone can advise me on just how the mid range machine is worth me spending an extra third I'd be all ears.

Please tell me anything you can about these machines guys. I have literally read everything I can find on the internet. Am so excited about finally looking into getting a truckmount.

Cheers,

Benn.

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Okay, so my original post may not have been easy to respond to.

So let me ask the question: Anyone here currently own or has owed a Hydromaster Boxxer 318, Sapphire Scientific 370, or Hydromaster 423s?

How does it/did it treat you?

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I started with a upper level PC preformer and it gave me 25 years of $$$$$$ .
With literally 2 hand full of repairs .
I went full blown BAD ASS this round because I should be steaming for 15 more .
Having insane off the chart steam just cant be beat and makes every job easygoing .
Get a prochem , the best you can afford and believe me you will be money ahead in the long run .

Attachments

• 2018-05-20 13.39.26.jpg
    2018-05-20 13.39.26.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 168

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
I started with a upper level PC preformer and it gave me 25 years of $$$$$$ .
With literally 2 hand full of repairs .
I went full blown BAD ASS this round because I should be steaming for 15 more .
Having insane off the chart steam just cant be beat and makes every job easygoing .
Get a prochem , the best you can afford and believe me you will be money ahead in the long run .
Nice one Joe. Congrats on the new machine. You must be very, very happy.

25 years is great for your original machine. What was the max hose run you could get off your original machine?

Yeah, I haven't written off putting more money down to get (as much machine as possible). Will have to give this a lot of thought and keep saving.

Thunder865

Jun 15, 2018
Real Name
Thunder Warren
I had a portable for years and then went straight into a Hydromaster Titan 575.
I absolutely love it. I thought I did a good job before and now I feel as though I owe everyone I ever worked for an apology. As Joe said, Heat is king in cleaning. I think that’s what you get more of each level you go up in machine. I’ve run 350ft with no problem but the amount of jobs I would have lost over 150 or 200ft I could probably count on 2 hands. Which you could always still use your portable for those.

Reactions: Spooney

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
I had a portable for years and then went straight into a Hydromaster Titan 575.
I absolutely love it. I thought I did a good job before and now I feel as though I owe everyone I ever worked for an apology. As Joe said, Heat is king in cleaning. I think that’s what you get more of each level you go up in machine. I’ve run 350ft with no problem but the amount of jobs I would have lost over 150 or 200ft I could probably count on 2 hands. Which you could always still use your portable for those.

The 575 Titan is a behemoth. 400 + CFM.

Reactions: Anderson

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
Entry Level

Prochem Blazer 270 CFM

SS Rage 311 CFM

HM Boxxer 318 315 CFM

#3 blowers not much better than a high powered portable.

Next step up

HM Boxxer 423s ? CFM

SS 370 is at 317 CFM

Prochem Legend 330 CFM

Better heat on these units but I'm underwhelmed by these CFM readings.

Anyway, I'll do a bit of ringing around tomorrow and see what I can find out. See who wants to do the best deals.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Entry Level

Prochem Blazer 270 CFM

SS Rage 311 CFM

HM Boxxer 318 315 CFM

Next step up

HM Boxxer 423s ? CFM

SS 370 is at 317 CFM

Prochem Legend 330 CFM

Anyway, I'll do a bit of ringing around tomorrow and see what I can find out. See who wants to do the best deals.

I haven't used all the above machines, but I know of some who have used them successfully. I don't think you're going to get a substantial performance boost say between a 318 and a 423. You'll get about the same heat and just a tad more cfm with the larger blower. I'd bet on a typical job you wouldn't be even be able to tell the difference. It's been extremely rare for me to need to go over 150 ft. and normally I'm at about 100 ft. on most jobs. The longest run I've ever had to do was maybe a little more than 200 ft. with my 421 (essentially about the same as the 423 ).

If I knew for sure I'd be going much over 200 ft. on a regular basis I might consider going with a larger machine like a 575. Honestly I can't say I wished I hadn't done that instead of purchasing my Boxxer 421, primarily because I think they may be more reliable machines as well as more powerful. A 318 or a Rage will make you money and do most jobs you will run into, but I can almost promise you that you will be in for repairs more often, particularly after you've had it a few years. I just did a check not long ago on how much I've spent in repairs on my 421 since I bought it in 2002. I was kind of shocked since it was a LOT more than I could've imagined. I could practically have bought another machine in that time.

So, if you typically go under 200 ft. any of those TM's will work well I think, but may not be as dependable as you want. Overwhelmingly the majority of problems with small engine machines are due to the small engine. That's been true of my 421 and I think of numerous others who buy small engine run TM's. I've had a lot fewer issues in 16 years with my other components, but as my records indicate there have been a lot more than I thought. Fortunately many were things I was able to fix myself.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The biggest difference we've seen between the entry-level and mid-range machines hasn't been in their performance, so much, as it's been the reduction of wear and tear since the units aren't being pushed to the max on many jobs.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Very few times 300 feet and 250 was super with the # 4 gardener denver suterbuilt blower that thing lasted over 13k hours without a issue and was sold working perfectly . .
Onan power is so dam reliable its like a timex , never not runs .

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Okay, so my original post may not have been easy to respond to.

So let me ask the question: Anyone here currently own or has owed a Hydromaster Boxxer 318, Sapphire Scientific 370, or Hydromaster 423s?

How does it/did it treat you?

Yes, I bought the new 2018 370SS and I DO NOT regret it!!

besides it looking beautiful which is nice but the main thing about this machine is it works good,
A little too good. It uses a very small amount of space and works really, really good!

I might be wrong but I thought I heard that the rage will be discontinued.
The rage is small but if you have a short distance itll be fine.the 370 ss can do well at 200 ft and my distributor assured me it can go 300 ft Max

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
Entry Level

Prochem Blazer 270 CFM

SS Rage 311 CFM

HM Boxxer 318 315 CFM

Next step up

HM Boxxer 423s ? CFM

SS 370 is at 317 CFM

Prochem Legend 330 CFM

Bro
These are the correct c fm for blowers...
Most man.... overexagerate cfm....

This is max.. with. Max rpm on large enough engines with correct hp and torque
This is Tuthill but suterbuilt is similar
3.0 blower.....250 c fm
36 blower......300 c fm
45 blower........350 c fm
47 blower.....480. C.f.m

It is impossible to get over this
Unless you go over 3600rpm
Most of the big 3 run there engines and blowers about 70% max
But you would have to look at specs

I love the 47 huge jump in cfm