engine temp gauge

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You can get a capillary tube type or one with an electrical sending unit at most auto parts stores. However if you panel mount the gauge the needles can be very "bouncy". A slightly more expensive Murphy Switchgage is very panel mount friendly and will give you accurate oil temps.
Screenshot_20190616-092047_Amazon Shopping.jpg

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
If you just want to check the engine temperature you can get a touchless temp guage at harbor freight. Being a air cooled engine it is hard to put a gauge on the motor.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Why do you want to know? You can't do anything about it lol!
I have a small fan set up to blow across the top of my machine towards the back doors.
Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
20w50 motorcycle racing oil with zinc has been proven to run cooler than conventional 10w30 in air cooled small engines. If you want to invest some research into it look at small engine/lawn mower forums with input from guys that run multiple mowers daily as a starting point.

After switching over and not letting your motor cool down at an idle (which I feel is a terrible idea), I straight shut it off in 30 seconds from full throttle. You will get more life and less oil leaks from that motor IMO, but take it for what it is worth on your own accord.