Engine shutting down when increasing choke | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Engine shutting down when increasing choke

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
I'm having an issue with my 14 hp Kohler engine. It runs great when there are no hoses set up but after adding 50 ft it starts to bog and eventually shuts down. I can decrease the choke and it seems to run fine but of course I'm losing power then.

I believe it's a carburetor issue. I've added some Seafoam to the gas. Still having issues.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Sounds like your running on 1 cylinder ..Start it . idle it up . plug one spark plug at a time.Replace the first one before trying the next. if one of them doesn't make engine run rough . that's the problem side. if both make engine run rough then maybe it is carb. you could check and clean carb bowl, float and needle if you like. maybe check out a vid on that if you never done it. you need to be careful not to loose or drop float needle when removing or replacing it.
what your explaining is exactly how they act when you have valve problems. hopefully its not. just better you find out now. and use your money on fixing not wasted parts and lost work. Happened to me twice with my ONAN. Too much heat in trailer caused mine.

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
Exactly what Bob said.
I had the same issue before.

Found out I was running on one cylinder and I needed to replace both my valves

Reactions: Sterling

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Hate to jump ahead and scare you, but in case you need to know before I get back on.. IMHO Best thing is to take it to a descent mower repair shop and get price with engine out. You will have to remove and replace to get the best price. They will have a machinist work on it. last time it cost me around $350 but that was years ago. May be able to find a good used one since its just a 14. I also been hearing a few good reviews on predator engines from harbor freight.
just saying they are cheap as hell. can't verify but hell of a deal if it runs good. Just to give you options
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-420cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-60340.html

Reactions: Sterling

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Could it be the choke?
I don't think so. if choke was stuck. choking it more shouldn't make it run better. I wouldn't think. He can just look with the breather off to see if it is operating as it should. I hope it is his carb but sounds like its not hitting on both sides of engine to me. not a expert here but sounds like what happened to me so far.

Reactions: Omar

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I don't think so. if choke was stuck. choking it more shouldn't make it run better. I wouldn't think. He can just look with the breather off to see if it is operating as it should. I hope it is his carb but sounds like its not hitting on both sides of engine to me. not a expert here but sounds like what happened to me so far.
My choke is funny at times. Have to feather, leave in or out at times. Kinda gotta listen to the engine.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Sounds like a pluged idel jet low circuit jet in the carb .
Worst case like Artie said a bad valve .

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
By no means did I want to scare you, but that little test can eliminate a carb related issue for you so you get headed in the right direction. if pulling one plug doesn't make engine run rough (no change) then its not the carb. takes about 10 seconds.