Engine Glowing Red

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Has my truck mount gotten the Corona virus ?

But no honestly I'm not an engine guy and not sure what part this is and dont recall ever seeing it glow cherry red before.

20200301_020115.jpg

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I'm not an engine guy either but when i notice that on my old machine that part didn't last too much longer. I think it mostly had to do with my wrapping it up with heat wrap to conserve the heat to the heat exchanger.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Not uncommon for headers to get red hot, for mounts that use engine and blower exhaust to heat solution a certain amount of back pressure on the engine exhaust manifolds is normal for prochem/SS models. They are cerakoting parts now for improved heat performance and longevity. While a motor can handle a little back pressure, to much will remove a couple thousand hours off the motors lifespan. A free flowing exhaust doesn't trap the heat nearly the same. We have a 15 year old Kohler with 6000+ hours on it that has had back pressure it's entire lifespan... a little is ok. Carbon buildup on the valves and pistons is normal, pull the jugs after 3k hours, knock it off, new head gaskets and lifters and reassemble. 3 hour job with very few bad words lol

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I may be wrong but that looks like a kubota and trust me the manifold always glows cherry red after its ran for a bit. Ive even had them turn yellowish white before. Even free flowing headers glow cherry red thats why on hot rods they wrap them, or ceramic coat them. And trust me manufacturers put back pressure on the engines to build heat for the heat exchangers and usually their exhaust is the thinnest metal they can get by with. Only thing i would honestly check out just to be safe is the exhaust heat exchanger just make sure it doesnt have trash in it impeading air flow

Reactions: Jim Davisson

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I usually clean my tank and blower air filter out once a week but I've been doing restaurants with a lot of grease.

I power washed the tank and air filter today so I'll see it it glows again tonight.

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Would be odd to have a clogged heat exchanger, only 360 hours and soft water been used the entire time. No scale buildup in any of the check filters.
The blower heat exchanger would get clogged up from humidity off the waste tank over time or if your waste tank didnt shut off the machine when full or shut off quick enough, if the waste tank ever got full and spit water out the exhaust before it shut off.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I will definitely check it out. I know the machine cut off works, happened a few times though I generally try to turn it off and dump before it gets to that point.