Encapping Upholstery

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
so the common reason to use encap is because its too hard to do it the right way?

I hate dragging hoses in the winter so Im going to encap
I hate cleaning upholstery so Im going to encap.

Id hate for anyone with that thinking to build me a house...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We do often. Have you seen this?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Im not saying encap doesnt work, its when they say *Im too tired to ................. so Im going to encap*

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
I am working with some new microfiber pads and looking for a professional palm sander. Any leads would be helpful.
As cleaners we should offer different levels of cleaning at different price points. The condition of some upholstery demands extraction and for others extraction is overkill. Let the customer and the fabric choose your level of clean. It is better to clean at a good level and not clean at all because someone does not want to pay for extraction cleaning. Unfortunately most upholstery is bought with a replacement date in mind. The cost of the extraction cleaning does not make sense in most cases if the upholstery already ahs a death sentence in the mind of the customer.

Reactions: sbsscn

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I approach it a different way. I simplify things for my customers. In most residential settings you want it CLEAN, not kind of clean, not appropriate level of clean, but CLEAN.

This seems to work for many as I clearly state we don't differentiate between basic and deep cleaning. We already do the deepest cleaning method possible everytime.

ONE exception to this is carpet. If it's just been 20 years since it was cleaned I tell them the truth - it wont all come clean this time. Schedule us again in 3 months and you will see another dramatic improvement.

This has been far easier for me to sell vs making it complicated with different cleaning packages.

In my mind, this isn't like pulling up to a car wash.

Reactions: mrotto

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I am working with some new microfiber pads and looking for a professional palm sander. Any leads would be helpful.
As cleaners we should offer different levels of cleaning at different price points. The condition of some upholstery demands extraction and for others extraction is overkill. Let the customer and the fabric choose your level of clean. It is better to clean at a good level and not clean at all because someone does not want to pay for extraction cleaning. Unfortunately most upholstery is bought with a replacement date in mind. The cost of the extraction cleaning does not make sense in most cases if the upholstery already ahs a death sentence in the mind of the customer.
Not the ryobi lol. The damn pad unscrews itself. After putting it back on about 6 times which is a pia only for it to come loose again. I finally threw it in the trash. Personally I always liked the variable speed car polishers. But you can’t manipulate the fabric and operate them one handed. Now with the palm sanders your hand is going to cramp up so I’d get one with a comfortable grip. All the major brands do a good job. I’d recommend just going to the lowes or homers and try holding them. See which fits your hands best.

something like this with more gripping options. Vs just the palm grip.

80A77638-F32E-4B0B-9C59-A1B2DB2F67A6.jpeg

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I approach it a different way. I simplify things for my customers. In most residential settings you want it CLEAN, not kind of clean, not appropriate level of clean, but CLEAN.

This seems to work for many as I clearly state we don't differentiate between basic and deep cleaning. We already do the deepest cleaning method possible everytime.

ONE exception to this is carpet. If it's just been 20 years since it was cleaned I tell them the truth - it wont all come clean this time. Schedule us again in 3 months and you will see another dramatic improvement.

This has been far easier for me to sell vs making it complicated with different cleaning packages.

In my mind, this isn't like pulling up to a car wash.
I agree. Sometimes a new customer will ask if I prespot. I reply that the cleaning system is so effective that almost all spots are removed in the regular cleaning. (There are ink, rust and other stains that need other specialty spotters tho.)

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
so the common reason to use encap is because its too hard to do it the right way?

I encap/bonnet clean customers and mine own furniture all the time. Has nothing to do being lazy or cutting corners. Learn about it before you knock it........

Reactions: john martinez

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
My opinion on this is as follows

I will always encourage and recommend to
1st Identify the fiber
I agree with Tom on the fiber telling you what direction to go.
2nd evaluate the situation
3rd communicate
4th execute

Now me personally I will NEVER risk my reputation, NEVER
But I COMPLETELY respect everyone else's preference

The only time I will do Encap/low moisture (But I wont ever use a shampoo) on furniture

Will be based on
1. The fiber
2. Is this a residential or commercial customer
3. Level condition
4.Fabric
5. Honestly can this be done, and will the result be satisfactory to the client and to me, Will I regret doing this?

If the fiber is going to be a pain in the butt then low moisture will be recommended
If the customer is sensitive on wetting the fabric or is against HWE then encap will do
If the level condition will not compromise the result then encap will do.
If the fabric is delicate (fragile) then perhaps encap might be the best way to clean it

As a professional You will need to be prepared to make that choice and explain it to the customer.
IT IS A MUST in my opinion.
Communication is #1 its more important than the money (at least it is to me)

If I meet a customer and the fiber is Silk or a true Haitian cotton (raw/unprocessed) or a delicate Linen, Rayon, or acetate or the fabric has Fire retardant or dye leather lacing woven into it (yeah ive seen it have you ? ) or my worst case delicate which had a combination of Silk, wool, bleeder cotton & rayon, with laced dyed leather and a gold glitter leaf pattern and to top it off embossed red velvet flowers. To make it even more challenging it had fire retardant and some guest sat on the sofa after swimming in the pool ) It would have been a nightmare for me.

I had to identify each fiber and respect each woven fabric. There was no way in Hell that i was going to do HWE on that sofa. and even encapping it was going to present some very difficult issues. with the fire retardant it was a nightmare from hell. I had to explain this to the client and he was not happy about it but he was extremely impressed with me. After explaining each cleaning option and their pros and cons he asked me. "what would you do?"
Honestly I said I'd have whoever damaged it replace it. He said he didnt know which guest had done it. But he didnt want to do nothing. I offered Dry soil removal "power vacuuming" He was willing to do that rather than nothing. I am glad though because another company had told no problem, while another one said they would not touch it at all. To end this story I ended up power vacuuming it and he paid the bill $320.00 it was a total of 3 pieces 1 3seater, 1 2seater and 1lounge chair all of which he had imported from Africa or some middle east country.

So you see why it is important to evaluate the item first and to have them sign a disclosure agreement (waiver)

You have to think almost like a surgen. What the best way to go about it with the least amount of side effect or risks and in the end you Must inform and have the client consent to your plan. And are you willing to take the risk.

You may not always or ever come across what I have but Its the mindset, the passion or even the professionalism but you cannot just be closed minded,

I think if you are a "dry cleaner" then you need to be honest with the client and express your honesty with them, after all you are the professional and your experience should be able to give them an idea. On the other hand if you only do HWE then its the same freaking thing.

and in the end if you do both low moisture or HWE then you really need to learn how to talk to a customer.

in the end what can you learn, and are you willing to learn and to use it to move forward?

Last edited:

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

I know what you mean and No you didnt offend anyone

I wouldnt call encapping a lazy mans way of cleaning but
unfortunately there are a bunch of Lazy men out there that are also dishonest
Yep I said it. No it wasnt mean for you it was meant for the other guy

Reactions: mrotto

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well yes, encapping or essentially dry-cleaning silk, haitian cotton etc because HWE would damage it is a given.

I meant there are plenty of guys encapping synthetic polyester sofas because its "Easier and faster".

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I encap/bonnet clean customers and mine own furniture all the time. Has nothing to do being lazy or cutting corners. Learn about it before you knock it........
please read my previous post. Im not knocking it. I never said encap didnt work or that all encap guys are lazy.

Its the REASON some choose to go encap. Just being lazy. It just shows what their business management style is.

Reactions: sbsscn

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I'm all VLM since Oct 2019.

The encaps with have today are incredible. They work but just like with carpet some upholstery needs HWE.

About 75% of carpet and 90% upholstery can be effectively cleaned with VLM.

I turn down work that needs HWE and I'm happy to do it. I no longer want to work in filth. Let the TM guys do those jobs. I used a TM for 25 years but no more.

I bought a 6 gallon heated portable extractor 2 months ago for cleaning upholstery but haven't used it yet.

I love VLM !!!

Last edited:

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Upholstery cleaning can be a pain,
How many of you do encapping or vlm with a hand held buffer?

Any suggestions
Vacuum
Prespray
Scrub - Drill Brush or Horsehair Brush
Extract - 6'' orbiter or 7'' rotary
13'' Light Microfiber Bonnet with hand for excess moisture
Groom

I prefer the 6''orbiter to extract. I have a 7'' rotary but it flings water and is harder to use than the 6'' orbiter.

After I extract I usually go over upholstery with 13'' light blue microfiber bonnet with my hand to help dry and then groom

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Vacuum
Prespray
Scrub - Drill Brush or Horsehair Brush
Extract - 6'' orbiter or 7'' rotary
13'' Light Microfiber Bonnet with hand for excess moisture
Groom

I prefer the 6''orbiter to extract. I have a 7'' rotary but it flings water and is harder to use than the 6'' orbiter.

After I extract I usually go over upholstery with 13'' light blue microfiber bonnet with my hand to help dry and then groom

View attachment 96627
Thats what i was using the 7” HF polisher. Does your shoot sht out of the cooling vents? Every tool ive bought from them seems to shoot stuff out of the vents that sting your arms lol. Maybe bits and pieces of the carbon brushes who knows.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Thats what i was using the 7” HF polisher. Does your shoot sht out of the cooling vents? Every tool ive bought from them seems to shoot stuff out of the vents that sting your arms lol. Maybe bits and pieces of the carbon brushes who knows.
Go brushes you wont go back or regret it, plus battery and noise wont be a issue

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
No that hasn't happened to me but I haven't used it much. I use it more on soil filtration than upholstery.

I used it yesterday on soil filtration with Bonnet Pro No Rinse Spotter.

It works great for that with a 8'' tuway bonnet. Lowest speed. Gets right up to the baseboard but doesn't damage baseboard. Removes soil filtration fast.

Reactions: keep it clean