Encapping In The Winter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 7, 2018
Real Name
William Elliott
So I need a solution to my encapping problems. In the winter, I clean some commercial accounts that get pretty bad as you can see in the pictures. The rock salt gets brought in from the side walk and actually gets compacted in the grooves of the carpet, as shown in the carpet. These are commercial glue down squares by the way. I’ve tried to vacuum out the compacted rock salt residue but it won’t even touch it, it’s almost as hard as the carpet. I’ve tried using the brush heads and the regular pads on the Cimex but that won’t get it out either, when the salt is compacted down in the grooves it sits flush with the carpet material. I’ve never tried using a crb but I can’t imagine that would work, maybe it would, I just don’t want to spend $3,500 just to test a theory. I use my Truckmount and that works fine but honestly I hate Truckmount cleaning...much more work, I get dirtier ding it, trying to keep it from freezing, it takes longer, more expensive repairs and maintenance of the machine...it just sucks using it in the winter. Does anyone have any life experience with this who can help? It would save me a heap of trouble and make my life 10000% better. Please leave meaningful and detailed explanations, it makes it easier and minimizes the back and forth with clarifying and such. Thanks!!
A08A8613-1DD7-4A79-8DBC-6C06547CA955.jpeg
3D308D44-D85C-4E92-A428-FCDD6648FE0B.jpeg
733E0D10-4538-49A1-872C-F64082AB01C3.jpeg

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I think you issue is your letting it go to long between encapping.
We do encapsulation all winter on our commercial accounts and don’t have the degree of issue represented in them pictures. So the only thing I’d say is your not doing it enough. We do our entrance ways minimum weekly. When there’s a lot of rock salt out side the doors sometimes mid week as well.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
When its that bad you are going to have to do the hard work or pass on the job. They also need to reduce the amount they are probably dumping outside. Many retirement place over use ice melt products as an example. I have found that citrus and oxy seem to help. You are going to have to prespray this and give dwell time to allow the hardened ice melt to soften and re hydrate. Prescrubing with a 175 and a course fiber pad may also help break up the solids a little then you will have to hot water extract and possibly follow with a bonnet and some more encap.

Light to moderate salts will come out with a bonnet but once it gets wet then solidifies in the grooves it will have to be worked out.

I had more pics but must have erased them. These are not too bad. But where worse then the pics show.
ice1.jpg
ice2.jpg
ice3.jpg

Nov 7, 2018
Real Name
William Elliott
These are entryways so they get a lot of traffic, so they always overdo the salt to prevent slip and falls. I clean them weekly but the employees don’t do a very good job of vacuuming often and often times their vacuum is broken or works minimally. They don’t pay jack which is why I would like to just be able to encap. Last year I ended up over saturating the carpet in hopes the chemical or saturation would break down the hardened salt but it made the whitening of the carpets worse when they are supposed to be a dark slate gray/black like in this photo.
F7BA5945-8C31-4360-880E-A9FBF4798ADD.jpeg

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Pays the bills for now unfortunately. Does anyone think a crb would break up the ground in salt? I don’t have any experience with those yet.
It would probably give a better scrub than a 175 at this point. The process that BonnetyPro detailed is going to be your best bet. You might have to look for some products that are made for cleaning salt residue. Consult a local janitorial supplier. I use Salt Rinse from A1 Janitorial. Spray it on heavy, let it soak for a good 10 - 20 minutes, HWE and repeat until it looks good. Then Encap it.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I’m trying to avoid having to use the Truckmount at all so if there’s a way to just be able to encap it that would be ideal.
As bad as it is, using the TM is probably going to be the easiest, fastest, cheapest way. Once you get it back, you might be able to maintain it using just encap, if you do it regularly enough (at least once a week). But even with that you might have to periodically HWE through the winter. I would talk to them about what is involved in getting and keeping it clean with the amount of salt they use, and tell them what the extra cost is going to be. They'll either pay more for cleaning or start using less salt and you won't have this problem.

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
Look for a unscented white vinegar mix with hot water or full strength pour on residue let dwell run floor machine with brush. A spotter machine or a wet vac to extract .