1. ratfool

ratfool Active Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Marlene Slichter
    I was reading Jeff Bishops book "More answers then you have questions ". And reading about fiber abrasion and dulling of the carpet. And how the carpet looks perfect wet but when dry the dark traffic patterns come back. Reason being the moisture in the carpet is filling the abrasions.
    I'm one of those who like Encap but don't think I can use it on everything. And if doesn't replace yearly HWE. I have found myself on very dirty and worn carpets coming back with encap as a finish once the carpet is dried. Because it does change the optics of the carpet. It is especially true with a clean carpet.
    When it comes to bonneting I am not a huge fan. Mostly because my work has only given me 2 bonnets to work with!!!
    Anyone work with optics and abrasion issues. And what methods have you found effective. Right now I'm using the cimex, but on a clean carpet I hate dumping that much chemical into the carpet.

2. Luky

Luky Active Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 2 / -0
    Marian Lukacisin
    Business Location:
    United States
    I haven't studied Jeff Bishops book and sure there is lot to talk about fiber optics, but I'm pretty sure that with normal wear and tear wet carpet will look darker and re gains light properties after drying out. I always wondered about that process and I do revisit customers from time to time to just learn how is the look of the carpeting after applying different brands of protectants including ARA( anti re soiling agent). In most cases my findings are opposite of your revised statement of Mr. Bishop book

3. ratfool

ratfool Active Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Marlene Slichter
    The Encap is something I read about else where. I never worked with ARA
    In what way is it opposite ?

4. Tom Forsythe

Tom Forsythe Active Member

Ratings:
    +238 / 1 / -0
    Fiber optics explain how fibers look different over time because of abrasion. It may be an explanation of where the dirt goes, but the presence of the soil has alot to do with wicking. The nature of the fiber impacts wicking. Olefin, polyester, triexta fibers do not absorb water like nylon and wool. You need to adjust psi and additional dry strokes based on the fiber you are cleaning. The polyesters especially olefin are used in high traffic areas and extraction cleaning results in deep cleaning which activates soil. If you get the carpet too wet then the excessive moisture will readily carry soil to the top of the polyester fibers since it is not absorbed into the fibers. Use of ARA or Encapuguard Green works to limit wicking, but do not overcome wet carpet. In short, polyester fibers should be cleaned at a lower psi, with dry strokes and fans. If this is done, then the use of ARA or Encapuguard Green will further limit wicking. This limits the amount of soil that will seen on the surface of the carpet after drying. However, abrasion to the fiber will still be apparent and needs to be pre-qualified.

5. ratfool

ratfool Active Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Marlene Slichter
    Tom THANK YOU! I will indeed try what you say!!!

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums