Encap residential dog urine

Ant92ford

Oct 14, 2014
Real Name
Anthony Hammond
We do not usually do residential cleaning, but I'm cleaning a friend's apartment this week and was in need of some tips on how to clean dog urine with my 175. I'm not lugging the cimex along as I've heard mixed results on residential carpet. My typical process for my personal house is

Pre vac
Spot
Pre spray encap solution ds2
Agitate with microfiber pad
Pick up soil with cotton bonnet
Post vac

Any spray or other method I should do for pet urine?

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
needs to be extracted. it's all the way down in the padding. you can flush it out or cut it out. bonnet won't help much here. now don't get me wrong. I'm not against vlm. I use that method on occasion. but for urine. it won't work. need to soak it with something like matrix miracle. and vac it out. or pull carpet back and cut away soiled padding. then still flush out the carpet.

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
It's too hard to say without seeing how much urine. The answer that is going to be right most of the time is to pass on the job. With that being said, I have had pretty good success removing urine smell with perioxicap. I've used it in CGD and upholstery and it was effective but it still isn't a first choice for me. I'm old fashioned and feel there needs to be extraction. If there is more than a little, consider pulling up the carpet and checking to see if pad needs to be replaced.

Good luck. Set low expectations and let us know how it turned out.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
We do not usually do residential cleaning, but I'm cleaning a friend's apartment this week and was in need of some tips on how to clean dog urine with my 175. I'm not lugging the cimex along as I've heard mixed results on residential carpet. My typical process for my personal house is

Pre vac
Spot
Post vac

If you have a peroxide based product you should be able to get rid of the visible stains with encap only. However like mentioned there will still potentially be urine in the pad and such, that would need extraction to remove 100%.

I have a lot of luck adding fabpro'a activator powder to my encap and the urine stains are usually gone. For me I use this method when someone doesn't want to pay for sub surface extraction. The encap makes wicking less likely

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr

Pre vac
Spot
Post vac

HOT WATER EXTRACTION

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
HOT WATER EXTRACTION
I agree if the customer is willing to pay for the urine treatments.

Otherwise in my experience encap gives a better result for just a general treatment.

Since you are using minimal moisture you are able to treat the urine on the carpet fibers without disturbing the well of urine beneath the carpet.

In a perfect world i wouldn't do this, but when people can't afford or don't want to pay for urine decontamination, encap can be the next best thing.

Hwe can make the whole place stink like urine during the drying process and allow urine to wick to the surface causing a reappearing stain or a soil attracting residue (when the urine is not fully treated)

Peter Breen

Jan 5, 2009
Saint Albans Vermont
Real Name
Peter Breen
I agree with extraction and have heard with a few more cotton pads wet the area real good using a black lite and an enzyme let dwell and then scrubb with a encap using a few extra pads then wet again with a deo and leave a pad on area with somthing heavy to wick up the urine in the pad. This i hear works well for emptys

Ant92ford

Oct 14, 2014
Real Name
Anthony Hammond
I will not be charging this friend for the cleaning, I will add some peroxide solution into my cleaning process. Thanks everyone.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I will not be charging this friend for the cleaning, I will add some peroxide solution into my cleaning process. Thanks everyone.
Get yourself a white floor pad to use for the scrubbing then extract with a bonnet. The bonnets don't provide aggressive enough agitation.

jhcinc

Aug 12, 2011
Naples Florida
Real Name
joel hoppe
Business Location
United States

Pre vac
Spot
Post vac

Sounds like your are not going to use a water claw and vacuum system to flush pad. You will have odor issues with a vacuum system or a bonnet system unless you use a product to kill bacteria in padding and backing of carpet.

Some odor products help with odor but they must come in contact with all urine in padding which is much larger of an area then the stain you see from the surface and odor will be present until padding dries 3 -5 days after you soak carpet. You can use fans and dehus to dry faster whether you use a hwe system or a bonnet system.
Peroxide will reduce some bacteria but not as much as a product designed for reducing bacteria with enzymes.
Peroxide or a powder osr product will improve odor and stains but not always remove all yellow.
Bonnets are the last step after you have used a black light and treated urine deposits and will only remove some moisture from carpet fber.
A oscillating machine that has a 80-90lb head weight will bounce and tamp more moisture from padding but will not remove all moisture
Any hwe system including my hydramaster with a 47 blower and a water claw will also not remove all moisture from padding that is why wicking occurs and odor is still present until padding dries.

If you try to remove moisture with cotton pads after soaking floor you will need 5 pads for every 100 sq ft or depending on how many urine stains you soak.

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
I agree if the customer is willing to pay for the urine treatments.

Otherwise in my experience encap gives a better result for just a general treatment.

Since you are using minimal moisture you are able to treat the urine on the carpet fibers without disturbing the well of urine beneath the carpet.

In a perfect world i wouldn't do this, but when people can't afford or don't want to pay for urine decontamination, encap can be the next best thing.

Hwe can make the whole place stink like urine during the drying process and allow urine to wick to the surface causing a reappearing stain or a soil attracting residue (when the urine is not fully treated)
What chems are you using to encap urine?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
What chems are you using to encap urine?
Hot knife is my go to encap. I add fabpro activator powder to it. It's a peroxide based "powder" (it's more like tiny beads than a powder) I mix it really hot with a drill mixer to really get the peroxide bubbling.

I clean the carpet as I would if there were no spots. I don't saturate the urine because I don't want to wet the backing. The idea is to clean the fibers and leave the rest trapped, hopefully creating a barrier.

If there is an odor I will add some hydrocide to the mix as well. But again I never saturate the urine spots.

This is for when people don't want to or simply can't pay to treat the spots. I don't guarantee stain or odor removal for this process

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
Hot knife is my go to encap. I add fabpro activator powder to it. It's a peroxide based "powder" (it's more like tiny beads than a powder) I mix it really hot with a drill mixer to really get the peroxide bubbling.

I clean the carpet as I would if there were no spots. I don't saturate the urine because I don't want to wet the backing. The idea is to clean the fibers and leave the rest trapped, hopefully creating a barrier.

If there is an odor I will add some hydrocide to the mix as well. But again I never saturate the urine spots.

This is for when people don't want to or simply can't pay to treat the spots. I don't guarantee stain or odor removal for this process
Gotcha. That's interesting...and I've never really considered the process but it does make sense.

Think I'll stick with my HWE for now ;) lol

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Gotcha. That's interesting...and I've never really considered the process but it does make sense.

Think I'll stick with my HWE for now ;) lol
What do you do when you clean a urine infested home that doesn't want to pay for spot treatment?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Interesting. Guess urine encap can be accomplished but on a limited basis?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Interesting. Guess urine encap can be accomplished but on a limited basis?
In my experience yes. The times when I have been willing to do it are basically when someone just can't afford all the sub surface extraction, or when someone is selling and insists "whoever buys it is going to replace it, we just want it to look better."

It's definitely not something I market, but when you have two choices, walk or make money, I'll take the money because otherwise someone else will and they may end up being a splash and dash which will leave the customer in a worse situation. You just have to be open and honest about what you are doing.

Again this works for visual stains and mild odors, not strong strong odors where the dog clearly uses this one room as a daily bathroom.

Also minimal moisture is key so you dont disturb any urine in the backing and pad. The faster the dry time the better it will work

stevey b

Nov 24, 2015
Real Name
steven brown
If its bad pull the carpet back and clean and treat the back aswell as the top .just treating it is not enough