Encap Experiment(pics): Newbie w/ 175 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Encap Experiment(pics): Newbie w/ 175

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG
(Warning: cheap newbie doing an experiment. Helpful criticism welcomed.

I want to Encap Carpet clean the carpet in my room.

Carpet condition: some black stains, dirty, not super soiled.

Here's my tools
1. 175 Clarke American Sander 16 (rented $25)
2. Scrub brush "20
3. Bonnet w/ green stripe ($20)
4. Consumer vacuum bissel
5. Burst Plus ENCAP solution ($20)
6. Pump sprayer ($20)

BEFORE i get started tomorrow morning. What would be your steps to clean?

Here's my plan so far.

step 1. Pre vac

Step 2. Mix solution 6 ounce to 1 gallon of water and Prespray area. (dwell 15 mins)

Step 3. Use "20 pad, fill tank w/ encap and go over area 1-2 times while using tank to put extra solution.

Step 4. attach bonnet and go over with 175 again.

Step 5. Post vac

I'll post BEFORE & AFTER pics of my carpet tomorrow.

Question is...are the steps I'm using to clean what you would do WITH the equipment I currently have.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
step 0. Check to see if home owners insurance will cover what you're going to smash with 175 machine.

step 1. Pre vac
- good

Step 2. Mix solution 6 ounce to 1 gallon of water and Prespray area. (dwell 15 mins)
- check bottle for dilution ratio and water temp

Step 3. Use "20 pad, fill tank w/ encap and go over area 1-2 times while using tank to put extra solution.
- what kind of pad? Should be red or Fiber Plus.
- don't use tank as you'll over wet. Pick one the tank or pre-spray. How are you applying pre-spray?

- fine. Don't forget to flip said bonnet.

Step 5. Post vac
- make sure carpet is dry or kiss vacuum good bye.
- don't forget to groom.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
step 0. Check to see if home owners insurance will cover what you're going to smash with 175 machine.

step 1. Pre vac
- good

- check bottle for dilution ratio and water temp

- what kind of pad? Should be red or Fiber Plus.
- don't use tank as you'll over wet. Pick one the tank or pre-spray. How are you applying pre-spray?

- fine. Don't forget to flip said bonnet.

Step 5. Post vac
- make sure carpet is dry or kiss vacuum good bye.
- don't forget to groom.

For step 3. I called the 20" thing a pad. The black circular thing with white outer part in the picture. Is that not the right piece of equipment? People at the rental place said to use this one.

Should I use a red pad or fiber plus in the future?

Step 4. Is it overkill? Or is it recommended to do both a pad and a bonnet. Would a red pad or fiber plus be good enough that I don't have to use a bonnet?

I know it's all dependent on the carpet and how dirty it is.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
How many sqft? Those bonnets arent that great for soil removal. But... they run easy less drag then cotton. So it will be easier to learn on. As Mike stated with banging walls.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
How many sqft? Those bonnets arent that great for soil removal. But... they run easy less drag then cotton. So it will be easier to learn on. As Mike stated with banging walls.
I'll buy a tape measure tomorrow and figure it out. There's a few rooms I'm gonna test this on. My room first.

Carrying this tool up a flight of stairs is insane. No wonder many opt for the oreck orbiter or 13" models.

Hope it's not too difficult moving around on carpet.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I'll buy a tape measure tomorrow and figure it out. There's a few rooms I'm gonna test this on. My room first.

Carrying this tool up a flight of stairs is insane. No wonder many opt for the oreck orbiter or 13" models.

Hope it's not too difficult moving around on carpet.
Lol i have a feeling your going to put it through a wall. Not kidding. First time i tried it. It pulled me across my deck. I tested on trash carpet i rolled out.
Lock handle in place. Put that handle in your gut above your belt and hold on. Lift and lower to steer. Those pads dont grab as bad. But i dont see the driver for the bonnet.

The orbiter may have been a better choice to try.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
That black thing with the outter white part is a brush not a pad and it would work fine for the scrubbing part. Then there should be a drive block. It looks like a brush being that it is bristles but a drive block would have short (about 1/4" long and quite stiff) bristles.

A brush like you have there will not spin that pad very effectively. Think of it like this... That brush will just think your bonnet is carpet and move right off/over it like it does all the other carpet. The only reason the bonnet will stay under that brush very long at all is because it is not nailed or glued down like carpet is.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Dont forget to video the 175 going through the wall. Just kidding. It will work moderately well. Make sure carpet is wet enough to give the pad and brush some lubrication but not too wet. There is a learning curve for the amount of solution and the 175. You will get better results the 2, 4, 27th room you do.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
Make sure you wet the white and green pad before putting it down. Dont stay in one place too long. Might want to start in the middle of the room. Better yet fire it up at your house on some tile for a couple minutes (the black and white brush), this will give you a feel for the machine without much resistance. You are still missing a pad driver as mentioned above...this is a short bristled version of the black and white carpet brush. It is used to on top of the green and white pad...to spin it, it might not spin under the black and white carpet brush...not likely.

Reactions: Mike Krall

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Are you gonna get into cleaning?

Otherwise I'm curious how much you spent on all that and if it's worth your time vs having someone who knows what he's doing.

Had a customer get equipment together to grind her concrete someone gave her a floor buffer (175) though lol she almost trashed her car since she tried it In her garage.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Your on your way. Might wanna pick up a cheap laser measuring tool too.
b442271f-17ad-4cca-9a21-a827b499ab6f_1000.jpg

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Lol i have a feeling your going to put it through a wall. Not kidding. First time i tried it. It pulled me across my deck. I tested on trash carpet i rolled out.
Lock handle in place. Put that handle in your gut above your belt and hold on. Lift and lower to steer. Those pads dont grab as bad. But i dont see the driver for the bonnet.

Yea that's why I told him to check on his home owners policy.

RRRYan,

If you never used a 175 I suggest you take it out into the garage first or start in the center of an open room.

They put out a lot of torque and on carpet with a pad there's a lot of friction. It's going to pull and jump at first and if you don't brace it like keep it clean said you can end up breaking your wrists or getting knocked over.

Make sure you keep the cord away from you and don't think its okay to run it over. If you catch the cord just right it'll wrap up on the driver plate and keep coiling until it gets you and won't stop till you unplug it or let go of the lever.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
For step 3. I called the 20" thing a pad. The black circular thing with white outer part in the picture. Is that not the right piece of equipment? People at the rental place said to use this one.

Should I use a red pad or fiber plus in the future?

Step 4. Is it overkill? Or is it recommended to do both a pad and a bonnet. Would a red pad or fiber plus be good enough that I don't have to use a bonnet?

I know it's all dependent on the carpet and how dirty it is.
Ledgend has it that if you use a cheap red pad that it will bleed into the fiber.

The other reason I use the fiber plus pads is it looks slightly more professional then using a red pad designed for polishing a floor :D

Well the way encap was designed to work is too scrub it into all the fibers of the carpet with either a pad or brush. Some of the chems when dry turn white and you need to vacuum up that residue.

Some guys like to use a bonnet to pull up more dirt and assist in drying the carpet. Bonnets, especially the microfiber ones seem to also do an excellent job of pulling stains up.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
Yea that's why I told him to check on his home owners policy.

RRRYan,

If you never used a 175 I suggest you take it out into the garage first or start in the center of an open room.

They put out a lot of torque and on carpet with a pad there's a lot of friction. It's going to pull and jump at first and if you don't brace it like keep it clean said you can end up breaking your wrists or getting knocked over.

Make sure you keep the cord away from you and don't think its okay to run it over. If you catch the cord just right it'll wrap up on the driver plate and keep coiling until it gets you and won't stop till you unplug it or let go of the lever.
Holy moly this tool is insanely hard to use. I'm glad I rented me before I made my decision...

How the hell do people use this EVERYDAY? Have a suggestion for another tool?

TMF CRB or oreck?

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
Are you gonna get into cleaning?

Otherwise I'm curious how much you spent on all that and if it's worth your time vs having someone who knows what he's doing.

Had a customer get equipment together to grind her concrete someone gave her a floor buffer (175) though lol she almost trashed her car since she tried it In her garage.
I'm looking to get in the business. Just testing out the tools myself before I make a decision. 175s are a pain.... I wouldn't want to use this everyday. I would want to unload and load this sucker everyday either.

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes

How do people use the 175 everyday. Like a tug-o-war in every direction. I'm reasonably fit but holy hell...

RRRyan

Mar 14, 2017
Real Name
ryan rhodes
Dont forget to video the 175 going through the wall. Just kidding. It will work moderately well. Make sure carpet is wet enough to give the pad and brush some lubrication but not too wet. There is a learning curve for the amount of solution and the 175. You will get better results the 2, 4, 27th room you do.
i didn't hit anything but man. It was tough. The safety mechanism was stuck and wouldn't shut off....scared the hell out of me.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
How do people use the 175 everyday. Like a tug-o-war in every direction. I'm reasonably fit but holy hell...
Theres a learning curve or getting used to it. I can hold machine in one hand and it will hover in place. Lightly lift or lower handle to move side to side. Setting the handle to correct height helps. You cant fight the machine. It will beat you down. Have to work with it.

Maybe better off with crb. They do excellent job. Easy to use too.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Holy moly this tool is insanely hard to use. I'm glad I rented me before I made my decision...

How the hell do people use this EVERYDAY? Have a suggestion for another tool?

TMF CRB or oreck?
After a month of use you'll develop better biceps than you would at the gym.

A lot of guys carry them up and down flights of stairs all the time. The whole machine is about balance, a little down pressure on the handle one way sends the machine the other way. On carpet though especially plush like you find in residential it's a fight with the machine.

The Oreck is too light IMO for carpets, it's not bad to agitate with but for bonnet use I think it's too light. I feel the same way about 17" 175. CRB's are great but you can't bonnet with them. Another reason why HWE is better suited to clean residential than encap.