Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I have compensated extra
Fed them, shown interest in their outside of work lives and still have had bad apples. It's the new generation sorry to say.
1941 chevy sales training video. Watch the whole thing but if you find it boring, watch from 7:00-10:00.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
It's young people in general. Not necessarily just this generation. And in all honesty it's anyone but you (and I don't mean YOU, I mean anyone saying anything about anyone). There are things we all do that are lazy or bad habits that other would look at and make some comment. We do the same to them. But young people in general are lazy and entitled. Yes I think a little more now than before but only a little. But I'm 25 and running my own business and there are other young people doing the same. So just like anything else in general yeah this generation sucks but also you have to look at the individual. I had a kid (he studies martial arts with me) come help me for a day. I had another kid (also studying karate with me) do the same. After the second day one of them complains to the other how hard it was. The second one thinks "wtf is wrong with you, that wasn't hard work" it's all about the individual. There are things as an employer you can do to motivate people. But it always comes down to who that person is and always has been.

A guy I used to work for would always hand me my check personally, look me in the eye, shake my hand and say thank you. That goes a long way. But I also treated that business like it was my own and even took over the shop when he was away on business. That's just the kind of employee I am. But the way he treated me made sure that I didn't get sick of working for someone else. I would still be there if not for an incident that wasn't work related. His son and I had a bit of a falling out. And they were "partners" in the business. So yeah. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
I agree that young people in general tend to be lazy, but this generation in particular is even more detached. They (not all) seem to think it's okay spending 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there checking their Facebook, or text messages in the middle of work.

They don't seem to posses any aptitude either, it blows my mind that they don't know how to roll up a cord or hose. That stuff used to be mandatory intelligence.

Reactions: Brian Jones

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I agree that young people in general tend to be lazy, but this generation in particular is even more detached. They (not all) seem to think it's okay spending 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there checking their Facebook, or text messages in the middle of work.

They don't seem to posses any aptitude either, it blows my mind that they don't know how to roll up a cord or hose. That stuff used to be mandatory intelligence.
Seeking dopamine hits Mike, that's what all these mindless tasks do for the young generations, instant gratification.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

The Facebook/cell phone behavior is starting to bridge the gap between generations. My brother who is 5 years older than me (he is now 30) can't put his cell phone down. I had him help me a few times and he just stands there on his cell phone until I specifically give him directions. Directions like bring the spotter from the last room we cleaned to current room we are cleaning. It's just "what are you f***ing stupid, you don't think if I used it there I might use it here" but I consider him another generation because he didn't have Facebook in high school so he adapted to it more when he should have been an adult. But still he can't put the cell phone down. Which is why I haven't had him help me out in a while. I mean even on an overnight job he had the cell phone out. I said to him "who the f*** are you texting at 2 am"

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I have uncles who hold "professional" positions who cry when they have to do more than expected. Every generation feels the one after them are lazy hence "When I was a kid I had to walk"................I do agree people having to be on these electronic devices all the time is an addiction of some sorts.

Mar 28, 2014
Real Name
Victoria Marez
I agree with you. But I also have to say compensation is just as important. Alot of bosses treat great employees with respect. Just not always with the respect that allows them to support their families financially.
Definitely understandable Ed... and every employee deserves respect.
The beautiful thing is that that my service company also rewards on commission based pay structure.
I have paid an employee just under $85k one year. There is no limit.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Definitely understandable Ed... and every employee deserves respect.
The beautiful thing is that that my service company also rewards on commission based pay structure.
I have paid an employee just under $85k one year. There is no limit.
I'm not sure exactly how you structure things. But that sounds good and I feel is one part of the puzzle that I feel would keep a potential "rival" o/o under your employ. If he thinks he can make 100k running his own business and you pay him 80k and he doesn't have to deal with the headaches of actually running the business (and understands that) he would most likely stick around (i feel). That being said, I haven't hired any employees so what do I really know. Other than being on the employee side of things once before and wanting to stick around, feeling that I could one day open my own location in another state and run the business under the existing corporation.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
The Facebook/cell phone behavior is starting to bridge the gap between generations. My brother who is 5 years older than me (he is now 30) can't put his cell phone down. I had him help me a few times and he just stands there on his cell phone until I specifically give him directions. Directions like bring the spotter from the last room we cleaned to current room we are cleaning. It's just "what are you f***ing stupid, you don't think if I used it there I might use it here" but I consider him another generation because he didn't have Facebook in high school so he adapted to it more when he should have been an adult. But still he can't put the cell phone down. Which is why I haven't had him help me out in a while. I mean even on an overnight job he had the cell phone out. I said to him "who the f*** are you texting at 2 am"

http://seattletimes.com/html/health/2023110779_healthdigitalxml.html

“If a person is constantly letting a computer think for them or are spending hours surfing the Internet, then they are not using their brain and, hence, their neural pathways are not stimulated,” he wrote in an email. “We know very well that neurons that are not used are pruned away.”

Are we evolving or devolving?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

“If a person is constantly letting a computer think for them or are spending hours surfing the Internet, then they are not using their brain and, hence, their neural pathways are not stimulated,” he wrote in an email. “We know very well that neurons that are not used are pruned away.”

I'd watch out tho. Because I don't know if TMF doesn't fall under that category…Haha although I actually think it wouldn't since we are for the most part learning or sharing information. But still…haha

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

My wife stimulates my pathways. So in marriage are we evolving or devolving? :D

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
How about blaming it on your generation? Isn't your generation the one that raised this generation? I don't buy into all of the 'this generation is completely irresponsible" BS. If it was true then why would I, as a 20 year old not only own my own business, but be completely revamping a broken business so it can be profitable again? (and there are plenty of other people on this board that are under 30 and making it work..Tre and Ryno come to mind)

I live in a county of about 30,000 people and twice a month I get together with other young business owners and have a powwow where we talk about whats working and whats not as far as marketing, how we are meeting our challenges, hiring/firing, and anything else that affects our businesses. We have about 15 people there every meeting. Some of them are taking over there family farms, some of them have started a business from scratch, some of them (like me) have purchased existing businesses, bu we are all completely committed to making our businesses work, no matter the cost in time, effort, and money.

There is one fellow at these meetings that is around 26 (I think) that owns a construction company. He took this company over from his alcoholic father when he was 18. When he first took over none of the local supply shops would extend him any credit because of the way his father had been and the company had lost alot of respect in the community because of less than satisfactory work. He took it over though, changed the name, weeded through the employees, and rebuilt it from the ground up. In less then ten years he has not only made it profitable, but made it one of the most respected construction firms in our area.

By the way...his alcoholic father was from your generation. It seems to me that many of the old folk that are your parents had this same discussion in the 60's and 70's about you. If I can believe anything that the history books teach I don't think that those of you in your teens and twenties in those decades had the greatest name for yourselves either...but you turned out ok.

Just give us time...we'll come around peace
I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. If you're a lazy bum and have no respect for authority including your boss's authority it's your fault not Daddy or Mommy's fault. It's not the previous generations fault. It's not the school you went to. It's not even the governments fault although I might make a case in how they've contributed to the mess we see today!!! My Dad nor my Mom frankly taught me anything. My Dad was an alcoholic most of his adult life spending the bulk of his evenings in bars and cheating on my mother. He really never taught me ANYTHING. Sure anyone can play the blame game and blame others for their problems or the fact they're a lazy, shiftless bum w/o respect for anything or anyone.

There has to be a point that YOU take responsibility for YOUR LIFE. I could go on, but I'll stop my rant here. You can disagree all you want, but I KNOW I'm right on this. Blaming others for YOUR lack of character just exacerbates the problem and perpetuates it. I say employers who get too lacks with their employees and let them run rough shod over them are asking for trouble and they will get it. I NEVER worked for an employer who would let me get away with some of the things people routinely get by with these days.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
You also have to look at the population we are talking about. And by that I mean this. The motivated (would be great employees) young people are doing one of two things. In college and pursuing another career or starting their own business. So when we go out and try to hire someone we are (mostly) left with the scraps that others don't want. Now don't get me wrong there are good motivated people out there (who just happen to be out of work) but fewer of them than the lazy "don't want to work" kind of youngsters.

It's not like we can recruit good employees from other jobs...or can we...

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. If you're a lazy bum and have no respect for authority including your boss's authority it's your fault not Daddy or Mommy's fault. It's not the previous generations fault. It's not the school you went to. It's not even the governments fault although I might make a case in how they've contributed to the mess we see today!!! My Dad nor my Mom frankly taught me anything. My Dad was an alcoholic most of his adult life spending the bulk of his evenings in bars and cheating on my mother. He really never taught me ANYTHING. Sure anyone can play the blame game and blame others for their problems or the fact they're a lazy, shiftless bum w/o respect for anything or anyone.

There has to be a point that YOU take responsibility for YOUR LIFE. I could go on, but I'll stop my rant here. You can disagree all you want, but I KNOW I'm right on this. Blaming others for YOUR lack of character just exacerbates the problem and perpetuates it. I say employers who get too lacks with their employees and let them run rough shod over them are asking for trouble and they will get it. I NEVER worked for an employer who would let me get away with some of the things people routinely get by with these days.
In a way you are certainly wrong. You expect an infant to be able to identify that their surroundings are fudgeed up. My family is lazy, I happened to realize that in my teenage years. And was able to act in a different way than what I was taught. But it's only once we are older can we identify that we are the result of our upbringing. It's nature vs nurture and there is certainly both involved. But I do agree that once we reach a certain age we should become accountable. But if you have a 10 year old acting like a brat that is indeed his parents fault. And that certainly translates to behaviors as an adult.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Here is a perfect example of "this generation." I am with two girls 20 and 21 right now and every few minutes they have to snap chat or post to Facebook or text or anything that involves their phone. It's all about lacking the ability to be in the moment. I just had a thought that I should share this being one of the people in this generation. This is the first time I have actually picked up my phone tonight. But these girls can barely put them down. It's just a little bit ridiculous. Then if we do something in the moment that is fun they have to immediately snap chat r post to Facebook. It is quite ridiculous. Just thought I would share my current situation as a perfect example of how this generation acts.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have finally assembled a great team of employees. However I have to live with the fact that this generation is carrying a lot of baggage. With the family and moral breakdown comes issues that this generation has to work through to be successful. Times have changed. It is just a fact and burying your head in the sand will not work towards the success of your business.

vader

Jan 26, 2014
Real Name
Stewie, Griffin
Reading the post I can't help but to shake my head in agreeance with the majority of posters and am glad to be reminded why I joined the forum, that is that i'm not alone when it comes to employees and the janitorial world.

My parents run the business and have been for the past 17 yrs, we've worked as a family and probably the main reason why we have done as well as we have. I've never dealt with hiring and firing employees, only heard what my parents had to deal with.

However today I got my first taste. A employee who for the past several months has been flaking and always has some excuses, my folks had it and ignored her call, my mom (busy at the moment) asked me to send a text saying we should go separate ways and things just weren't working out.......

well minutes s later I get a phone call from her mother saying it was unfair what we are doing and that she's gone through so much this year (cause shes the only one(sarcasm)). Funny how a 20 some what year old always got sick or couldn't make it into work on a friday evening or sat night.

She was also involved in a car accident, asked us to write a letter saying she worked for us and was o.k to get a car etc etc, talk about a regret. She asked for a $1000 to put a loan down (thankfully we didn't), that following monday we she was supposed to work she couldn't there was a "missunderadnting" even tho my mom talked to her several times saying she's as good to go. And in one of our main building that she was cleaning I found a stack of her business cards with her & her mother name on it. I've had several workers leave and try and take jobs away from us and I looked at this as the same.

Her mom asked us to give her daughter one more chance, we agreed and said yes to ONE FINAL CHANCE, so will see what happens next week. Sorry about the rant but had to get it off my chest. Earlier I was cleaning a new house and the painter was there, he worked for himself, just a hard days worth of work and no b.s employee drama......son of a bit-ch was all that I was saying to myself as I left.

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
I have had a bad run of employees lately. Seems most people want to party and have no responsibility anymore. They are more selfish than ever. It could be us but I doubt it. Never seemed to have these problems in the past.

Maybe this is just my experience lately. Has anyone noticed a trend over the last few years? Is it us as employers hiring brainless individuals? Perhaps some one can provide an outline of what to look for in a dependable carpet cleaner. Be nice to have an ideal age range, married or not and anything else but would probably conflict with hiring laws. And to top it off your best producers, no matter how much you pay them, want more and usually start their own company when they bring in 1000.00 a day per truck for you. Hard to convince them that you have overhead. Kind of a catch 22. Agree??

Rob
This might be bad if us. General rule of thumb, look for vets first then fathers trying to make money for their families. Those ate the people with the drive. A also hired a friends son because he was brought up to be respectful of other people and great work ethics.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Do any of you have employees that say, "I'm broke!"?

Seems to be reoccurring with mine. When I say, "Hey we have 10 hours of carpets to do this weekend" I get a no thanks...

So now when they say, "Mike how come you always have money?" I say, "You want to read my book? It's called: Why I'm not broke", "It's a single paragraph book detailing that I work 3x more hours than you and thus I'm not broke."

Seriously I don't try to be an ass to my employees, but if there's extra hours available and you don't take them...