Employees...geez (Pic of the day) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Employees...geez (Pic of the day)

Randy1

Oct 19, 2013
Real Name
Randy Dubbink
Some how I got a good "core" of solid employees 3 over 10 years, 3 over 5 years. But really need 9. The last 3 positions are almost impossible to fill. Pay starts at $12.00, up to about $15.00-$16.00 hr. with paid health care, vacations, holidays, 401k, uniforms, donuts on birthdays, and more. During the recession we advertised, facebook, craigslist, and more. When we did get some interest, so often they couldn't start until there unemployment ran out. As soon as the benefits were extended interest in working faded. With unemployment, foodstamps, State and Federal help available there wasn't that big of difference in life stile. It may take some time to get over the "Good old days" of freedom from work. But "No pain No gain", we may get to the point where it Hurts to Not have a job. Then we may see a whole new crop of people eager to learn. Where we can work with them, teach them skills, modify bad behavior, reward good behavior and feel good about having a good impact on some ones life. Hope fully this happens before my 6 solid employees retire!

Reactions: ronman

2012scr

Jan 20, 2012
united state
Real Name
Eli
Business Location
United States
Daniel I feel young people like you and Tre who are motivated to succeed in the future are more rare than ever before. Yes this generation has spoiled the present generation, but in all fairness with the onset of incredible advancing technology children are demanding more because they see more. All these modern forms of media promote a me first attitude. Many think like flipping a light switch that they should have it all NOW. Those who are willing to work and have the right stuff for your company most times move on to their own business.

So I believe it is a combination of factors involved like Jim, Shane and Brian mentioned, but make no mistake SELFISHNESS and UNGRATEFULNESS is on the rise regardless of the reasons. This results in a smaller pool of quality employees to choose from imho.
If employees are giving you a hard time and effecting business mabey you should start cutting hours and hire a part time person and go from there

Vito

Bravo Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
I had the same problem rob, now I pay 25.00 per hour for my helper. Whoa what a difference that made. yea it's a lot of money but all my problems went out the window. If I see a iphone in there had I deduct 20.00 from there pay. If I have to tell them to redo a area it's 50.00 off there pay, if they are late another 25.00 off there pay. If I see dirty equipment in the van it's another 25.00 per tool I catch. They work like mad men and all my problems went south. I got so fed up with all the bs I was getting. So I tried this new system and it seem sto work.
profit have increased drastically.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I know that there are no bad employee's only bad managers! One of two things has happened. You have hired an employee that is unwilling to learn, work or whatever, which is your fault or they are willing to learn and work hard and you are unable to teach them or motivate them, which is still your fault.
I learned a lot in 20 years of hiring.
#1 manners; I dont know who's fault it is , but no one has any manners.
#2 I use to get a resume with 2 jobs and 10 years at each job, now I get 10 jobs with less than a year exp on all of them. No one takes the time to learn our trade or any other trade. They are quick to jump ship.
#3 Carpet cleaning is hard work!!!! Most companies are owner operators and they dont charge enough money to hire the quality of person that they want. Start your people out at a wage that they cannot make anywhere else. My guys have Blue Cross ins. Paid time off, I try to make it hard for them to leave. If you start your guys at 12 bucks an hour do you expect them to stay??
#4 Most carpet companies dont do much for the image of the company. If you work out of your garage, how stable do you look in the job market to the good employee's
# 5 I have had a ad on this site for employee's from Feb 2009, not one applicant. No one here looking for work, I think we should change the perception that cleaners are lower class, we all have lots of knowledge about chemistry, PH and what temp we should clean wool rugs , but does the public see us as they would an electrican or plumber? Does a perspective employee?

And of course people are a lot more lazy than they use to be................regardless of age!
Good post.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
I understand where you are coming from Ray but it seems no matter what I pay or offer they still flake. maybe I am not paying enough. Time for a new thread! :AddEmoticons04233:
Daryl Paulson had a commentary that has always stuck with me, it fits here as well. I could hire a guy for $50.00 per hour with full benefits to sit in a chair and ring a bell once an hour every hr 8 hrs a day. It wouldn't take long before he complains that the bell is to loud and the chair is too hard. I don't think more pay is always the answer. It certainly helps because if your star employee is making just enough to pay his rent, put food on the table he will most likely need to find a better option...
That doesn't make him a bad employee. I think helping a new hire understand overhead is huge. Bragging about how well the company is doing during the interview process is asking for trouble as well....over promising potential income is also a mistake. If you pay 10 -12 an hr that's what you pay. However a weekly bonus program is a great way to squeeze some potential. Most add on's, most referrals, etc. It should have a board to keep a running tally. One day spiffs as well. These aren't my ideas I borrowed them from others where I worked.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Just to add to the above there is no second place and bonuses are to be paid in cash in front of everyone in the "weekly sales meetings" Do you have weekly sales meetings? That's a great start right there. If you want more sales who is going to teach them? If someone is running away with the sales bonuses change it up the following week. I like a crisp $100.00 bill for the weekly myself guys will work harder if they see gold and the rainbow.

Reactions: rob allen

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
I was paid 9.00 an hr +50% commission at Dial One. 40 hr week was 360 a week my checks were close to a grand a week on better weeks from the add ons. I had to work my ass off to get those add on's they didn't just happen. Bump the commissions to 50% if you want results otherwise tech's will do whatever makes the day easier not necessarily more profitable. I've trained people for what seems like forever and feel I'm pretty good at it. I just don't get a chance to use some of these strategy's as an owner/operator these days but maybe some of you might find some value.

brentnorman

Sep 6, 2013
Pine River, MN
www.optimumcleaning.net
Real Name
Brent Norman
I employed a 21 year old and was blown away by the lack of respect and gratitude. I also deal with youth at my local church and it's a lot of the same thing. There's got to be a way to deal with them I thought. There is.
The generation is called iY. So there's a book on dealing with them. Whether you employ them or they are your own kids. Worth the read to help you understand what is going on in their heads and how to correct and work with them. It's good and I used a lot of the skills taught in it.
It's called Generation iY (our last chance to save their future) by Tim Elmore. He's equipped leaders in corporations like Home Depot and Chick-fil-A.
When I read it a light bulb clicked on in my head and I was like this is exactly what we are dealing with. We have a chance to not only clean carpets and make money but we can help this generation out.
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1383140234.806375.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Shawn Abbey

Nov 20, 2008
Oregon
Real Name
Shawn Abbey
Great thread, My thought is, we don't spend enough time with these young men, they need to see what we feel and think. I know as a man that I need to feel respected, these young men are no different. We as the older generation need to listen more, guide more and train these men one on one. If we invested as much time and energy in our employee's as we do in our marketing and equipment. We would find that these young people will go on to not only amaze us but give us something to be very proud of! I look for the one thing , a desire to serve, everything else can be taught. Be Good ;)

I LOVE this one! Well said, Mark!

I agree 100%. We can spend our energies blaming and criticizing the new generation of workers entering the workplace. But as Daniel said, perhaps we can blame OUR generation also for not teaching kids how to work. I think ownership of this problem falls on both generations.

That being said, these young men may be looking for a good mentor to teach them to survive in the work environment. As employers, it falls to us to patiently, and with a lot of communication, teach these guys how to work. When you interview them, look for hidden features that you can pull out and sculpt into a good employee. I know, I've hired mostly kids either in college, or right out of college. Many times, they just need a place to land for a few years until they get their feet underneath them, and their confidence built, before they venture out to pursue their intended career. Give them a fun, and rewarding work environment to enable them to grow! Chances are, they MAY stay with you longer..... even if you can't pay them what you'd like!

Back in our day, it was expected for a young kid to have a job, either in the Summer, or a part time job after school. When they entered into full time employment, they already knew how to work. That is a rarity in some areas of the country today. Unfortunate, but true, nonetheless.

Reactions: brentnorman

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
FUN..REWARDING.. RUG SUCKIN...A Complete Contradiction of TERMS!':p:eek::D But that sure Cant HURT Shawn..Good Post!

Reactions: Shawn Abbey

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I employed a 21 year old and was blown away by the lack of respect and gratitude. I also deal with youth at my local church and it's a lot of the same thing. There's got to be a way to deal with them I thought. There is.
The generation is called iY. So there's a book on dealing with them. Whether you employ them or they are your own kids. Worth the read to help you understand what is going on in their heads and how to correct and work with them. It's good and I used a lot of the skills taught in it.
It's called Generation iY (our last chance to save their future) by Tim Elmore. He's equipped leaders in corporations like Home Depot and Chick-fil-A.
When I read it a light bulb clicked on in my head and I was like this is exactly what we are dealing with. We have a chance to not only clean carpets and make money but we can help this generation out.

Sounds too good to be true! I'll check it out though, I put in a lot of hours trying to straighten out those guys only to end up firing them. It feels like investing a year in a relationship that just ends one day.

Reactions: brentnorman

brentnorman

Sep 6, 2013
Pine River, MN
www.optimumcleaning.net
Real Name
Brent Norman
Sounds too good to be true! I'll check it out though, I put in a lot of hours trying to straighten out those guys only to end up firing them. It feels like investing a year in a relationship that just ends one day.
I hear ya. In the end I let my guy go too. I saw huge improvements but he still wasn't who I needed working for me. The book shed a lot of light on what is really going on with this generation though. I think you'll get some good from it.

vader

Jan 26, 2014
Real Name
Stewie, Griffin
Ever since my parents started the company at the in '98 they have dealt with people who 'don't care'. They go from job to job, don't take work seriously, and just aren't trust worthy, then again thats the problem with running a company that hires people for min-wage. And if you do find someone who is good and trust worthy, theres a good chance something better for them will come along.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have a nice core group of employees now really makes life nice takes time to find got to go through a lot of ducks but in the end it's worth it

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Mar 28, 2014
Real Name
Victoria Marez
I have had a bad run of employees lately. Seems most people want to party and have no responsibility anymore. They are more selfish than ever. It could be us but I doubt it. Never seemed to have these problems in the past.

Maybe this is just my experience lately. Has anyone noticed a trend over the last few years? Is it us as employers hiring brainless individuals? Perhaps some one can provide an outline of what to look for in a dependable carpet cleaner. Be nice to have an ideal age range, married or not and anything else but would probably conflict with hiring laws. And to top it off your best producers, no matter how much you pay them, want more and usually start their own company when they bring in 1000.00 a day per truck for you. Hard to convince them that you have overhead. Kind of a catch 22. Agree??

Rob
The biggest roadblock to getting cooperation from your employees is how YOU value them. This is the root issue. When you really care, you will treat them with the utmost respect and dignity. (Even if it's not always shows to you) The number one thing that employees want is sincere and honest appreciation. We all crave recognition and belonging far above a paycheck. Young folks aren’t really aware of this, but it’s true. When we value someone at the highest possible level, we will learn to communicate effectively with them.

You're probably thinking, "But my employees seem to always be messing up. How can I encourage that?"

You don’t encourage the behavior, you encourage the person so that you can help change his or her behavior.

In the end, your team is your greatest asset. If you don’t treat your team well, they won’t treat your customers well in the long run. Sure you might get away with dictatorship for a while, but when the dictator isn’t present, the followers don’t care about the company's mission.

If you are willing to humble yourself, let your staff know that you care about them, and you want to make improvements that will benefit all, and you begin to become a better leader.

Take an interest in THEIR lives, their goals, their dreams.
And they will help you achieve yours.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Some how I got a good "core" of solid employees 3 over 10 years, 3 over 5 years. But really need 9. The last 3 positions are almost impossible to fill. Pay starts at $12.00, up to about $15.00-$16.00 hr. with paid health care, vacations, holidays, 401k, uniforms, donuts on birthdays, and more. During the recession we advertised, facebook, craigslist, and more. When we did get some interest, so often they couldn't start until there unemployment ran out. As soon as the benefits were extended interest in working faded. With unemployment, foodstamps, State and Federal help available there wasn't that big of difference in life stile. It may take some time to get over the "Good old days" of freedom from work. But "No pain No gain", we may get to the point where it Hurts to Not have a job. Then we may see a whole new crop of people eager to learn. Where we can work with them, teach them skills, modify bad behavior, reward good behavior and feel good about having a good impact on some ones life. Hope fully this happens before my 6 solid employees retire!
You had me at donuts on birthdays

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I agree with you. But I also have to say compensation is just as important. Alot of bosses treat great employees with respect. Just not always with the respect that allows them to support their families financially.

clean-sweep

Jan 7, 2010
kentucky
Real Name
ryan hill
Business Location
United States
I have compensated extra
Fed them, shown interest in their outside of work lives and still have had bad apples. It's the new generation sorry to say.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I have compensated extra
Fed them, shown interest in their outside of work lives and still have had bad apples. It's the new generation sorry to say.
It's young people in general. Not necessarily just this generation. And in all honesty it's anyone but you (and I don't mean YOU, I mean anyone saying anything about anyone). There are things we all do that are lazy or bad habits that other would look at and make some comment. We do the same to them. But young people in general are lazy and entitled. Yes I think a little more now than before but only a little. But I'm 25 and running my own business and there are other young people doing the same. So just like anything else in general yeah this generation sucks but also you have to look at the individual. I had a kid (he studies martial arts with me) come help me for a day. I had another kid (also studying karate with me) do the same. After the second day one of them complains to the other how hard it was. The second one thinks "wtf is wrong with you, that wasn't hard work" it's all about the individual. There are things as an employer you can do to motivate people. But it always comes down to who that person is and always has been.

A guy I used to work for would always hand me my check personally, look me in the eye, shake my hand and say thank you. That goes a long way. But I also treated that business like it was my own and even took over the shop when he was away on business. That's just the kind of employee I am. But the way he treated me made sure that I didn't get sick of working for someone else. I would still be there if not for an incident that wasn't work related. His son and I had a bit of a falling out. And they were "partners" in the business. So yeah. Lol

Reactions: clean-sweep