Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Often the thing i want from my bosses the most is communication and recognition. Communication as to why the company does do something that might seem stupid to the troops in the field. Like "i know this customer is a pain in the ass but her ex-husband pays the bill and he chooses us to do all of his rental homes" Now i know why the boss accepted this job over an hour away for 75 bucks. (sux for us because we dont get paid for travel time)

As for recognition ... see below ....

We had two man crews and a few times a month were pulling down more than $2,000 a day. Most days a week we pulled $1,000 a truck easy. (2 man)

The recognition we received was a chickenwing party for thanksgiving but he techs couldn't all set down together because we all finish at different times ? Nice but not really ..... and a gift cert for Christmas ... $25 bucks. Serious lack of recognition there.

Health insurance, the boss picked up 50% for individual and the extra for the family was paid entirely by worker. (employer is mandated to pay 50% of employee costs if he has employer health insurance coverage in florida) .. he offers health coverage but its the minimum as set by state law ... seemed he was doing it just to keep employees healthy enough not to miss work not because he cared or as a job bonus.

Techs are paid 15% of the bill for occasional night jobs. (they suck but can't really complain because its only once every month or so) The night jobs were about once a month, give or take, in a rotating list fashion. Then the night jobs got wayy more often .. like once every two weeks and now more than once a week. The highest paid tech gets 16% if he maxes out bonus .. eXcecpt for night jobs where he still gets 15% ... more lack of recognition there .. very little extra money for most workers and top techs actually get less $ for inconvenience of night job. (sometimes techs can do night jobs alone and get 30% of bill) serious lack of recognition of sacrifices made by the employee on that one.

If something is broken during work and requires an insurance claim the employee pays the $500 dollar deductible. (boss is nice enough to break it up over several payments :)

The boss accepts a job that won't start till after 5pm ... to spot clean an extremely expensive furniture store with hose runs about 300 ft. Well more than that because we had to take the truck around front of store to finish off some places. This place has $800 dining room chairs (each one is eight hundred bucks ), tables and couches that cost thousands of dollars each and i have to pick up the $500 deductible if i break something .... ?? ...... and its gonna pay me $16 before taxes for a two hour job from 5 to 7 pm .... no recognition of the employees sacrifice for the company on that one.

Vacation is 5 days after 1 year. Its an avg amount of your checks over 1 year. Can be taken as days off or for cash .... then two weeks for like 2 years and then three weeks at 5 years. Often crews had to take it in cash during the slow weeks .. sick days are paid at ZERO. Schedule is off sunday and the next day off .. well you know when you come in off the truck at night to see if you working tomorrow or not ... not cool .....

Then we have the bosses side .. shut up, at least you have a job !!

haha

Between the boss and the manager .. they weren't terrible people and i like them both .... but neither was effective at making the employee feel encouraged or rewarded to be there.

So yes, my boss was driving me me to start my own company .. i haven't yet but i'm here learning and remembering so when i do start up i can hit the ground running. :rantoff:

PS i now remember that we had the best march & april ever .. boss sprang for deli platter and sandwiches for breakfast.

I love how everything he does do for you you belittle.... He gave you a gift of $25 for Christmas. A gift and you are such a sh**head that you disrespect him for that too. Not big enough???

He offers health insurance and pays half if you want it. You complain because he doesn't pay for the family, well the single guy will complain that he spends more on your family than on his and you are doing the same job but you get paid more because you have a family.

I bet you were too cheap to give him a gift for Christmas. When was the last time you bought him lunch---you cheapskate...

It sounds like he has some inconsistancies in pay for night work. It also sounds like he tries to fairly rotate employees for night work. If you present the inconsistancies to him in a non aggressive way he might look at it.

So if the company had the best two months ever and you get a flat percentage of the billing then you already were paid a bonus for the best months ever. It would be different if you were paid hourly. You say you don't get paid for travel time but that is why your percentage is what it is...That night job was a pain but you aren't talking about the cake walk job you had three weeks ago where it was ten minutes from home and you were able to bill out 300 bucks in 45 minutes.

If you look in the mirror you will see how ungrateful employees look. If you are going to start your own get used to it because you will attract a bunch of ungrateful employees...

You complain about him getting and scheduling you on some $2000 per day jobs. You make $300 a day and *****? Go get a job at Walmart and make $300 a week. That is what your attitude deserves.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
Its not always about the money ....

He offers health insurance and pays half if you want it.
It is the required minimum by state law, if he offers insurance AT ALL he HAS TO pay 50% of employee coverage, it just seems like he does the minimum without a care about employees. I have a feeling that if it wasn't just to keep employees for him he wouldn't do it at all. I don't think he is doing it for morale.

The insurance doesn't apply to me because i have insurance thru my wife. So other employees are getting the shaft but not me ..... if they can even afford family coverage .. heck i'm not taking the insurance so i'm saving him quite a bit ... do i get anything for that .. NOPE. Some places you do .....

I love how everything he does do for you you belittle.... He gave you a gift of $25 for Christmas. A gift and you are such a sh**head that you disrespect him for that too. Not big enough???
That just goes to show the employer attitude i was talking about.
Its the STFU i gave you a job attitude you get what you get and like it. (i know, i know DAD starving kids in china) Very little or inappropriate recognition for those who are actually making the money for him.

So if the company had the best two months ever and you get a flat percentage of the billing then you already were paid a bonus for the best months ever.
Yes and i also worked HARDER too .. oh yeah in florida ... if you are paid by commission you do NOT get ANY OVERTIME. So my straight percentage paycheck was increased (so was my workload) but if i was hourly i would have made more money due to overtime. Some weeks if i calculated overtime in i averaged less than $8 an hour. I wouldn't do this job for 8 an hour ... not worth it.

ten minutes from home and you were able to bill out 300 bucks in 45 minutes.
Never happened. Well once did bill $170.00 for the day .... and went home after 2.5 hours ...17 bucks for 2.5 hours (not including personal drivetime or gas).... smoking hot cash money i'm buying a vette. haha

If he threw a Christmas party, paid for the wives or girlfriends food too, probably wouldn't have come to that much more than the $25 gift cert (i'm cheap date) and it would have meant more to us. Come celebrate as a team .. we did awesome this year .... not a bland white envelope ... here you go ..... ps you have a night job on Monday.

One other boss i had .. seems like he dropped about 15k on a dinner party at a sushi steak place .. way over the top .. didnt help sales that much but it sure was good. :bigsmiley:

You complain about him getting and scheduling you on some $2000 per day jobs. You make $300 a day and *****? Go get a job at Walmart and make $300 a week. That is what your attitude deserves.
How much of that 2k was me, my personality, my skill @ up-selling and getting "cheerleaders" for his business ?? Re-read my post its not all about the money .... its about communication ... would you schedule a spot clean at an extremely expensive furniture store and make the employee(S) pay the first 500 deductible to make 17 dollars after slightly over two hours worth of work ??

I decided after living thru that experience i would quit rather than take the chance on losing out of most of a weeks pay.

Rick, would you schedule that job @ 5pm, make you're employees go thru that whilst you sit home and have dinner in you're gated community ? :confused::confused:

PS before anybody gets going that i "dont know how much it costs to have an employee" .. i do get it .. i'm also saying its not always about money.

Worker comp., social security matching, uniforms (no employer cost there we had to pay per week even if we washed them at home), the ad in the paper that got me to see you for the job to start with, ramp up till employee can work effectively, down time training new employee ..... I get it, really i do ....

i also understand costs acquiring customers and there wouldn't be a job without the boss starting the company ... he built this one with his risk of investment and SWEAT. I had to debate whether or not i was even going to post my first post. I did it as a way to enlighten bosses to what we (the underlings) are looking for ... its not always about gobs of cash ... true tho, we will put up with more sh$% if the gobs are big enough.

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
I'm going to chime in also that if you set up a system to attract and sort through the right employee for the right job - you will build an incredible team. It requires a lot of work on the front end to create the results you are after - and that requires leadership, motivation, and systems to make your team feel they are making a difference every day no matter what they are doing.

The average salary at Zappos.com is $25,000 - not high for a billion dollar company - but "kids" today are beating down doors to be part of the organization because of their culture and goals and quest to shake up the business world.

So it's not a lack of good employees ... it's a lack of good leaders - and that is our generations fault, not theirs.

Suck it up and lay out exactly who you need - and you will find them. There are a lot of people who've been laid off, and there has never been more affordable talent out there for any company to seek out.

Lisa

Lb21

May 31, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Tony Tourangeau
Business Location
United States
just a thought

I know Scott said learn how to manage people. I played that game for 10 years went to all the classes along with others that did as well. It can make you better at dealing with the prolems within yourself.. but if JOE SMO dont want to show up on time and he is lazy then no managment class is going to change that. You can fire him, and maybe next time get the same kind of guy or a better one. who knows. There is no class no potion, not majic words. Oh it might make him better for a day, but in the long run you cant change someone. They themself can change but its up to them. If you ask anyone who has several employees what his biggest problem is it will be his workers.. if he says others wise he is blind... have you ever read THE GOAL by Eliyahu M. Goldratt

not sure why I am telling you to read it but it was good.. but in the end it only changed me not my workers...
This is just a thought here, but everyone is talking about how they are lazy, and don't show up on time which really makes everyone suffer, but have you ever thought that they are doing this so they can just collect unemployment? :AddEmoticons04259: When I was managing the techs I would place the slacker on the truck with the longest day, and then said that me, or the owner will be doing inspection to ensure that we were giving our clients the best quality work possible. There are one's that are lazy and just want everything handed to them, but there is also some that does not care getting dirty, and working hard.

DannyD

Sep 25, 2006
Grand Blanc, Meeeechigan!!
www.thumbsupfloorcare.com
Real Name
Danny DeRoche
Business Location
United States
I've been on both sides of the coin here. In a nutshell I think if there's an extremely high turnover rate it's more than likely something the company is doing wrong.

IMO people are actually resistant to change in most cases. So employees will often deal w/ crap they don't like rather than look for other work. Akin to the nuisance raises of $25/month in an apartment lease. People will stay put rather than move a lot of times. They're creatures of habit.

With that said, bosses will also put up w/ chyt employees for awhile in most cases. They figure the employee will learn, improve, or what have ya. The employee in this case is like the nuisance raise on the apartment. The boss just deals w/ it rather than search for & train someone new. There are DEFINATELY some F up employees who think they're the boss, the world owes em something & that a company is just so dang fortunate to have em around even when they sit on their azzes all day.

If the turnover is small, my tendancy is to think it's on the employee. If it's huge then prolly the company. That's not a 100% in stone opinion, but a general rule of thumb.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
Danny D i wouldn't say its high turn over ... well i dunno 50% a year sound high? Not trying to sound like a smart azz .... not 50% of the crew chiefs mostly just the helpers ...I know the others that stayed have issues but those issues, mostly, they fall on deaf ears. After christmas the cleaning slows wayyyy down and the helpers just cant make enough. There is no layoff EVER, so they have to quit to get other work to feed their families.
(might be better to layoff some .. unemployment keeps them around till it picks back up and no training new guys)

I guess you could say EVERYBODY is looking to get out just not actively looking. I have spoke with each person here and there and all have spoken about a job interview or checking the want ads for work while in the truck.

Pays just enough to trap you i guess.

LB21 if you don't stick me on the LONG route when i have baby sitter issues i'll take it everyday to make more money (that is if you recognize my accomplishments and treat me as valuable asset) not STFU and do what your told because i'm the boss.

:bigsmiley:

As far as techs ... longest time on is 7 years with most about 1/2 that. Helpers are usually less than one year.

Jun 23, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
www.nmsmallengine.com
Real Name
Chris Sheldon
Business Location
United States
Daniel nailed it by asking: why not balme YOUR generation?

Not to get political, but I think the Courts, the Politicians and especially the media has made parenting very difficult. Take men for example: watch sitcoms and commercials and in alot of them you see the man/father being made a fool of...a total idiot. If you woop your kids butt in public for acting up soemone calls the police. Courts are allowing children to divorce their parents. The media and the government put no value on the traditional family while coddling gay and perverse family settings....I could go on.

My Dad was a man's man and demanded that we work hard and do what we say we are going to do. If I didn't get my chores done, it was an woopin', if I disrespected an elder.....got the crap smacked out of me. He was a very compassionate and loving man, but would not "spare the rod" when it came to raising us properly.

Now, I am nowhere near perfect, but I really believe that alot of this generations (and mine, Generation X) lack of work ethic, manners and respect comes from their up bringing and the current state of the government and media.

Just my $.02

Reactions: aloha one

DannyD

Sep 25, 2006
Grand Blanc, Meeeechigan!!
www.thumbsupfloorcare.com
Real Name
Danny DeRoche
Business Location
United States
Owen,

Yea 50% is high. Real high. I was inclined to agree w/ ya in your situation anyway. Cuz ya see, people who don't give a rats azz don't come on these boards to try & learn things.

I can also see where the owners are coming from too. They're also on here trying to improve & learn. In their cases I'd think maybe they didn't find the right employee. Lets face it, no employee (or very few) are gonna care about a business like the owner does. That's just life. Just like I'm not gonna care about your kids like you do. Doesn't mean I dislike your kids. I might think they're great kids & have a great future, but I'll never think of em like you do. Same w/ a business owner & his employees.

I was more just hoping to show both sides of the situation. Overall, I'd think pretty much anyone who comes on these boards cares enough to do a good job.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
Personally i love the fact that we have owners here .. i think its awesome .... I very highly doubt my old boss or manager is here or even look at anything to do with carpet cleaning at all on a weekend.

A boss that will go to bat for me .. i will do what it takes for him.

TechnicRay

Jan 20, 2009
Ohio
Real Name
Ray
Business Location
United States
What incentives do you offer these guys to stay Rob? With most careers these days few people stay with one company the whole time. In a lot of cases the only way to get a raise is to leave and go to another. Its sad but companies seem to want loyalty but not offer any in return.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What incentives do you offer these guys to stay Rob? With most careers these days few people stay with one company the whole time. In a lot of cases the only way to get a raise is to leave and go to another. Its sad but companies seem to want loyalty but not offer any in return.

I understand where you are coming from Ray but it seems no matter what I pay or offer they still flake. maybe I am not paying enough. Time for a new thread! :AddEmoticons04233:

TechnicRay

Jan 20, 2009
Ohio
Real Name
Ray
Business Location
United States
I don't know what generation you guys are speaking of. I was born in 1980. In two years I haven't missed a day of work and Ive only worked for two companies, one in Virginia and the current one in Ohio.

fresh

Sep 25, 2009
san diego
Real Name
nick deck
Business Location
United States
Wow, what a thread?! This is one of the reasons I try to log on every day. I don't post that often but I learn plenty from so many experienced veterans like yourselves.
I, like Daniel feel like there are a few of us "kids" out there working hard for what they want (I'm 22). For the most part, people my age don;t have what it takes to be out there on their own, without direct supervision. They might do a great job for a while but, in my experience, they can get overly comfortable and start to cut corners or slack off.
Every decent employee I've hired has been at least 6 years older than me and in some cases that still wasn't old enough. I just fired a 45 year old man because he just didn't have what it takes to do a good job consistently. He eventually got lazy and tarnished our reputation of high quality and customer service with a few long time clients. The other 28 year old tech with less experience had to report back to me regarding his poor quality work.
So I've gone off trying to answer a question and only come up with some food for thought. Every good employee I've had has made a wonderful first impression and portrayed themselves and a strong, confident, outstanding individual. Even if they lacked the training, I've spent the time teaching them and it has been well worth it. I always look for someone with stability in their lives and an honesty that you can feel from your first meeting.

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
www.carpetcleaninghoustonpro.com
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
I caught an employee offering services for almost %60 less. Employee went to apt complex for a job, I had a friend walk over and ask him how much for his 3 bdrm he said, i'll do it for you right now for $50 and never bothered to inform me of it.

Fired

Nick N

May 27, 2008
Texas
www.truckmountforums.com
I have had many employees over the years . Several of them have gone offf to strart there own biz. Most of them have failed at it.

Just like in my familys BIZ it was hard to get good quality people who wont steal,cheat or when they get together as a group emote about the owners of the biz.

Many people think the can run a biz or run your biz better. They see money coming in and think geee that guys is rich or he can afford this if I break it.

the younger Generaton 18 to 22 seems to be better than the one 24 to 35. this group in genearl just plain sucks and yes the quality has gooten worse over the years. I blame alot of people.

When I grew up you had to take owner ship of your screwups , then around 1984 it all started to change to where , I screwed up because I was a alcholic or because I was not given a chance. Society let these excuse based problems become an entire culture. Then the head drs really go busy.

Then the school's really promoted that everyone is =. The constituition may say we are all = but we are not. Some have better sklills at something than others for if we were all = I would have made as much as Mike Jordan and been in the NBA.

So many younger people think they should start at the top and not pay any dues.

Reactions: aloha one

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I don't know what generation you guys are speaking of. I was born in 1980. In two years I haven't missed a day of work and Ive only worked for two companies, one in Virginia and the current one in Ohio.
Seems like the kids that are 18-25 today are the generation being spoken of. They all aren't bad obviously, but it seems like most are. At least the ones for this type of work.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I'm going to chime in also that if you set up a system to attract and sort through the right employee for the right job - you will build an incredible team. It requires a lot of work on the front end to create the results you are after - and that requires leadership, motivation, and systems to make your team feel they are making a difference every day no matter what they are doing.

The average salary at Zappos.com is $25,000 - not high for a billion dollar company - but "kids" today are beating down doors to be part of the organization because of their culture and goals and quest to shake up the business world.

So it's not a lack of good employees ... it's a lack of good leaders - and that is our generations fault, not theirs.

Suck it up and lay out exactly who you need - and you will find them. There are a lot of people who've been laid off, and there has never been more affordable talent out there for any company to seek out.

Lisa
I agree with you need systems in place, but if you have to motivate someone on your staff isn't that an uphill battle?

Zappos is more of a white collar job no? If given the choice I would think most people would pick a desk job over carrying a wand up 22 stairs.

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
I used to believe it was the generations but not anymore, people have been blaming the young generations for..... well....generations. Some people are just go geters and others are not, I have seen plenty in all generations. I used to also think it was parenting, but not always either. My wife is the hardest working, goal oriented, career building woman I know and her blood mother and sister whom both live with us because they can't make it on their own have nothing and no desire to have anything. The only way I see that parenting working is maybe my wife might just feel like she doesn't want to be anything like them. Her Grandparents whom moved here from Poland were very successful and did great, I see this generational skip thing going on.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I agree with you need systems in place, but if you have to motivate someone on your staff isn't that an uphill battle?

Zappos is more of a white collar job no? If given the choice I would think most people would pick a desk job over carrying a wand up 22 stairs.
Thanks for "resurrecting" an extremely worthwhile and timely thread, Mike! I had forgotten all about this one and shame on me.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Hiring , training and MOTIVATING (usually young) employees is where most carpet cleaners fail and fail big time. Since this thread came out Big Billy Yeadon has done some major research on today's Millenials and how to lead them.

I strongly recommend everyone read Bill's conclusions. Just write me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and put "Millenials" in the subject line. I'll email you a copy- free. (Don't tell Yeadon!) :)