Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have had a bad run of employees lately. Seems most people want to party and have no responsibility anymore. They are more selfish than ever. It could be us but I doubt it. Never seemed to have these problems in the past.

Maybe this is just my experience lately. Has anyone noticed a trend over the last few years? Is it us as employers hiring brainless individuals? Perhaps some one can provide an outline of what to look for in a dependable carpet cleaner. Be nice to have an ideal age range, married or not and anything else but would probably conflict with hiring laws. And to top it off your best producers, no matter how much you pay them, want more and usually start their own company when they bring in 1000.00 a day per truck for you. Hard to convince them that you have overhead. Kind of a catch 22. Agree??

Rob

jim1of6

Dec 1, 2008
Eastern Washington
Real Name
Jim Abernathy
Business Location
United States
I believe it when they say we live in the "Me" generation. I see alot of young men and women, 19 to late 20's, who all want something for nothing. They take no responsibility for their actions.
The good ones are out there. Look for someone who takes pride in themselves and their work and does not have a cell phone or iPod duct taped to their ear.

Bobby

Oct 6, 2006
Zebulon, NC
Current generation has no or doesn't seem to want to take any accountability or responsibility at all, a complete me first attitude. It is also reflected in our government, and other parts of society just blame it on someone or something else.

CrptRader

Oct 14, 2008
Lancaster, Oh
Real Name
Daniel Williams
Current generation has no or doesn't seem to want to take any accountability or responsibility at all, a complete me first attitude. It is also reflected in our government, and other parts of society just blame it on someone or something else.
How about blaming it on your generation? Isn't your generation the one that raised this generation? I don't buy into all of the 'this generation is completely irresponsible" BS. If it was true then why would I, as a 20 year old not only own my own business, but be completely revamping a broken business so it can be profitable again? (and there are plenty of other people on this board that are under 30 and making it work..Tre and Ryno come to mind)

I live in a county of about 30,000 people and twice a month I get together with other young business owners and have a powwow where we talk about whats working and whats not as far as marketing, how we are meeting our challenges, hiring/firing, and anything else that affects our businesses. We have about 15 people there every meeting. Some of them are taking over there family farms, some of them have started a business from scratch, some of them (like me) have purchased existing businesses, bu we are all completely committed to making our businesses work, no matter the cost in time, effort, and money.

There is one fellow at these meetings that is around 26 (I think) that owns a construction company. He took this company over from his alcoholic father when he was 18. When he first took over none of the local supply shops would extend him any credit because of the way his father had been and the company had lost alot of respect in the community because of less than satisfactory work. He took it over though, changed the name, weeded through the employees, and rebuilt it from the ground up. In less then ten years he has not only made it profitable, but made it one of the most respected construction firms in our area.

By the way...his alcoholic father was from your generation. It seems to me that many of the old folk that are your parents had this same discussion in the 60's and 70's about you. If I can believe anything that the history books teach I don't think that those of you in your teens and twenties in those decades had the greatest name for yourselves either...but you turned out ok.

Just give us time...we'll come around peace

Reactions: StevenB. and Sarrik

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
Man where to start..... I used to be a supervisor for American Greetings. The reason I clean carpet or one of them is because of employees. I blame both generations.... Here is a list of problems or thoughts.
1. parents give there kids whatever they want so there is no motivation.
2. employers pay 12 bucks an hour so what kind of worker do you expect to get.
3. If they are hard working and smart they wont be working for you (not meaning you) but anyone for 12 bucks no future while you get rich.
3. if they do have a drive they wont work for you at least not for long.
4. is is a catch 22 if you get a good one he will start his own business.
5. not all kids or bad not but I do think PLEASE forgive me we as a county have become spoled... meeee included. we have had it very good for a while.

just thoughts

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
Daniel Williams your already there and you are going to make it. I am just reading between the lines.... there is succuss written between yours.

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
that one is fairly simple...when you are making $1k a day, and they are making much less for all that hard work, envy sets in..they figure, why should i make him $1k day, when I can do it myself...they are not looking at the overall picture, your overhead, your clients, costs, they are simply focused on the $1k/day they are making you, and they are not...

its a numbers game, sooner, or later, you will find someone that does not want their own business, and has common sense that it is harder then it really is, and they just want to work...

If you hire young people, some are still in their party years, so that may not be wise. Single people have no tie downs to anything. married people do have a tie down, and maybe more stable to work, providing they do not envy the $1k/day that they make for you at some point.

but if you hire based on profiling, you may run into legal problems down the road...IE: I hired a married person, compared to a single person w/ experiance...etc...

This is probably why big compaines do extensive background checks to see if someone is right for their company, but even
then you can not really predict on what an employee is going to do...

I knew a manager that was making a cool $100k/year, very smart and educated...she got caught hiring her boyfriend into the company and not telling
people, which is against the rules of the company, but she got fired for doctoring his time sheet...you just never know
what people are going to do...

I have had a bad run of employees lately. Seems most people want to party and have no responsibility anymore. They are more selfish than ever. It could be us but I doubt it. Never seemed to have these problems in the past.

Maybe this is just my experience lately. Has anyone noticed a trend over the last few years? Is it us as employers hiring brainless individuals? Perhaps some one can provide an outline of what to look for in a dependable carpet cleaner. Be nice to have an ideal age range, married or not and anything else but would probably conflict with hiring laws. And to top it off your best producers, no matter how much you pay them, want more and usually start their own company when they bring in 1000.00 a day for you. Hard to convince them that you have overhead. Kind of a catch 22. Agree??

Rob

markp

Jan 24, 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Real Name
Mark Phares
Business Location
United States
Great thread, My thought is, we don't spend enough time with these young men, they need to see what we feel and think. I know as a man that I need to feel respected, these young men are no different. We as the older generation need to listen more, guide more and train these men one on one. If we invested as much time and energy in our employee's as we do in our marketing and equipment. We would find that these young people will go on to not only amaze us but give us something to be very proud of! I look for the one thing , a desire to serve, everything else can be taught. Be Good ;)

Reactions: James B.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Blaming this generation or lthe last generation or anyone or anything else doesn't really solve the problem. Blaming just makes us each feel better that "it is not my fault."

So many service businesses are run by entrepenuers with godd or even great technical skills at cleaning. But few of us our great managers. It is a skill that took me a lot of time to learn and I still won't claim to be an expert at managing employees.

It is difficult for many great cleaners to understand that they need different skills to manage employees. The fault may be our own.

We sell management training programs, but few actually take advanatge of these. My friend who lives in Dominican Republic, works in Chicago but is now in Colorado will show up soon and explain that he has a free report on how to manage employees. Mack Clark, Chuck Violand and others also have programs available. Whereever you learn it, learn to manage before you hire employees.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Not a big mystery why?

Basically creating a generation of narcisists and selfish brats. Positive movement has gone way off track, kids are no longer able to win at anything , Everybody wins now. Everybody recieves a trophy

That and the obsession with unearned income, key word being "unearned"

I currently have 2 20ish guys collecting unemployment, meanwhile im working 7 days week. Yes I appealed the ruling and lost {thank you democrats}

Reactions: Mike Krall

farleycarpet

Jun 22, 2008
Surprise, Arizona
www.farleycarpet.com
Real Name
Brian Farley
Business Location
United States
Sorry to get all preachy on everyone but the bible talks about this and how people will change.
Aside from identifying certain world developments, the Bible foretold that the last days would be marked by a change in human society. The apostle Paul described what people in general would be like. At 2 Timothy 3:1-5, we read: “In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.” In part, Paul said that people would be

* lovers of themselves
* lovers of money
* disobedient to parents
* disloyal
* having no natural affection
* without self-control
* fierce
* lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God
* having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power

Just a thought :AddEmoticons04233:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Daniel I feel young people like you and Tre who are motivated to succeed in the future are more rare than ever before. Yes this generation has spoiled the present generation, but in all fairness with the onset of incredible advancing technology children are demanding more because they see more. All these modern forms of media promote a me first attitude. Many think like flipping a light switch that they should have it all NOW. Those who are willing to work and have the right stuff for your company most times move on to their own business.

So I believe it is a combination of factors involved like Jim, Shane and Brian mentioned, but make no mistake SELFISHNESS and UNGRATEFULNESS is on the rise regardless of the reasons. This results in a smaller pool of quality employees to choose from imho.

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
no majic bullet

I know Scott said learn how to manage people. I played that game for 10 years went to all the classes along with others that did as well. It can make you better at dealing with the prolems within yourself.. but if JOE SMO dont want to show up on time and he is lazy then no managment class is going to change that. You can fire him, and maybe next time get the same kind of guy or a better one. who knows. There is no class no potion, not majic words. Oh it might make him better for a day, but in the long run you cant change someone. They themself can change but its up to them. If you ask anyone who has several employees what his biggest problem is it will be his workers.. if he says others wise he is blind... have you ever read THE GOAL by Eliyahu M. Goldratt

not sure why I am telling you to read it but it was good.. but in the end it only changed me not my workers...

Richard Dunn Cleans

Mar 18, 2009
Ocala, FL
Real Name
Richard Dunn
Business Location
United States
People

At one time I had 15 people working for me, wow what a job. The biggest part of my job was not the work and equipment , it was managing people. Out of the 15, maybe 1/2 were good workers and the other half,,,,, well lets just say I went through a lot of very bad people in the early 70s and eighties. I finally had had enough and called it quits in 1991. I went back to cleaning carpets and floors all on my own. The song that comes to mind is don't worry be happy. I am now. I will not ever hire anybody ever again!!!! I feel like I was a good boss. I paid by the job and when it was completed on time my guys made $10.00 hr. in the early 80s. It seems to me that in every generation that there are good men and women. My parents told me of some pretty poor examples for human beings during the 30s ,40s and 50s. I am just a hard working guy that enjoys what I do, and I try not to let the conditions of this old world get me down. Richard

Blind Dr

Oct 15, 2008
Central Illinois
www.adamsproclean.com
Real Name
Gary
Business Location
United States
Where to start? How about looking in the mirror first? What do you expect out of yourself? Can you expect the same from an employee? Sometimes as business owners we expect more for less. We try to hold our employees at the same work standards that we have set for ourselves and that is what has led us up to having employees....success. True, our employees do not understand the investment, or the risk we take each and everyday. Most employees who work hard and bring in high sales usually want a bigger piece of the pie. Isn't that what we as business owners want to? So we are on the same level, we both want to make lots of money and succeed.

My experience is the first 90 days of employment most employess, no matter what generation, age or group they come from will work hard, and usually tend to present ideas for improvement. The 90 day wonders. After 6 months of employment they usually start to settle down and will only work as hard as they need to or see others doing. If an employee is with you past 6 months, most of the time they are doing something right for the business.

I spend time with each new hire and learn about them, their family life, work history, and financial needs. I watch as they learn, do they jump in ask questions and have a good work ethic? Do they stand and wait to be told what to do? Do they get their hands dirty? What time do they show up for their shift. How about their auto they drive in, is it expensive? Well kept and clean? Do they have a family, kids or others depending on them. Are they overstretched in their own personal budget, have lots of toys?

When looking for an employee, I personally like the ones who are married, or single attending school getting good grades. They should live on their own, live a modest life style and enjoy socializing with co-workers and family. I look for the person who has been raised on a farm, or has worked in a family business before. I also like the ones that ask about future advancement. I have no preference of age since I have found good and bad in all age ranges. I have found that women are better at repetitive work than men are.

Now after hiring an employee, I have them sign a no competition clause which is good for 10 years after the last day of employment. If they don't agree to this, I move on to the next.

I hope some of this helps, although I realize that this is very subjective to each area of the country.

Nov 13, 2008
Clarksville,TN
Real Name
Thomas Brennan
Business Location
United States
I know that there are no bad employee's only bad managers! One of two things has happened. You have hired an employee that is unwilling to learn, work or whatever, which is your fault or they are willing to learn and work hard and you are unable to teach them or motivate them, which is still your fault.
I learned a lot in 20 years of hiring.
#1 manners; I dont know who's fault it is , but no one has any manners.
#2 I use to get a resume with 2 jobs and 10 years at each job, now I get 10 jobs with less than a year exp on all of them. No one takes the time to learn our trade or any other trade. They are quick to jump ship.
#3 Carpet cleaning is hard work!!!! Most companies are owner operators and they dont charge enough money to hire the quality of person that they want. Start your people out at a wage that they cannot make anywhere else. My guys have Blue Cross ins. Paid time off, I try to make it hard for them to leave. If you start your guys at 12 bucks an hour do you expect them to stay??
#4 Most carpet companies dont do much for the image of the company. If you work out of your garage, how stable do you look in the job market to the good employee's
# 5 I have had a ad on this site for employee's from Feb 2009, not one applicant. No one here looking for work, I think we should change the perception that cleaners are lower class, we all have lots of knowledge about chemistry, PH and what temp we should clean wool rugs , but does the public see us as they would an electrican or plumber? Does a perspective employee?

And of course people are a lot more lazy than they use to be................regardless of age!

Bobby

Oct 6, 2006
Zebulon, NC
Daniel I must have struck a nerve but you must admit there are not very many like you in this generation. There isan awful lot of the other ones.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
my wife's office brings in $11,500 per day and none of them want to start their own business. She bills $2K a day herself 5- 6 days a week and has done that for 10 years and so do the other girls in her office.

People work for companies every day and see how much they bring in and they dont go out and start up on their own.

What are you telling your techs about the business? either too much, not enough or just the wrong things or what are you telling them about your personal life?

when you work with your techs do they see you as an equal or as their manager? are your friendly with them or are you friends with them?

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
I have a kid working with me this summer, he's going into 2nd or 3rd year University....man this kid is great. he's polite too, says thank you every time I buy him a Coke or lunch, says thank you every pay day and its from the heart.

he's always thinking ahead of the game too.

The other day I gave him a $50 gas card as a thank you/bonus and man was he ever greatful.

there's lots of good people out there but then again I live in a city of 3 million :)

Reactions: StevenB.