Electric Truck Mounts ???

Does an electric TRUCKMOUNT exist?

• Yes I have one and use it daily to clean carpet.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I hope so because I have prepaid some jacka$$ for one.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, I have never seen one operate either in person or video.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
These machines have received a lot of attention lately. I can not understand what all the hype is about if they have a generator engine just like my gas powered truckmount to power them.

How is this better then a good old proven truckmount design?

Seems kind of stupid to me! Maybe I am the only one that fills this way but what gives?

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
There aren't enough selections. I would have selected yes they exist and I'm leaning heavy that way.

How is this better then a good old proven truckmount design?

The "good old proven truckmount design" is unrivaled with 300 feet + and multi wand hookups. Some might make a case that it doesn't matter the length the "good old proven truckmount" is superior. Evidently there is a significant amount of cleaners like myself that hardly if ever require anything over 150 feet. The "good old proven truckmount" is overkill. It's can also be heavier and a lot more expensive to purchase own and maintain. Certainly this wouldn't apply in all cases.
A nice 10,000 watt propane generator(under $5000.00) powering an Mytee Escape, Little Giant and a nice Rotary would be a really nice set up for 15 grand or so with some nice bells and whistles.

Reactions: Jeff Maietta

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Thanks for your response. I was being mostly sarcastic with the poll. :) But I am also interested to hear from people that actually have the units and use them on a regular basis. A lot of people have heard that they exist and believe they are a good idea I am just not convinced they will measure up to the claims and comparisons to traditional Truckmounts.

Some of the major TM brands are now producing propane engines for power plants so why the need for generator to power electric?

It is yet to be seen if these systems are cheaper to operate and maintain over the life expectancy of a good old proven truckmount design.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Well from a selfish perspective I welcome the alternatives. Gas powered Truckmounts are way overpriced imho. Think about what you are getting for say $20.000.00+...a 20 hp engine give or take a few . A blower that cost what? A pump that cost what? Some brass and hoses that cost what? Seriously there is a problem when the machine cost more than the van.
I think the consumer wins with alternatives. I realize overhead is high for the manufacturers and my statement isn't meant to suggest there is anything with making what the market will bear. I just think they need sharper pencils.:cool:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I saw the Mytee ETM at connections. It is a good machine. It is not equal to a gas truckmount but it does have sufficient cleaning power to clean carpet. Would I buy an ETM? No, but I do want and need to get a good portable to use in places you can't use a truckmount.

Reactions: jeffk734

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Good points. I just can not see where the Electric systems will really be that much less expensive. By the time you purchase a generator, etc. Especially if you purchase a gas powered TM from a less known manufacture then Hydra & Prochem. Some small manufactures are producing nice machines for $15000 - 18000 range.

I just think a lot of the Electric TM is part of the eco/green hype that leads to emotionally driven decisions. And I am waiting to see how it plays out in reality.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I saw the Mytee ETM at connections. It is a good machine. It is not equal to a gas truckmount but it does have sufficient cleaning power to clean carpet. Would I buy an ETM? No, but I do want and need to get a good portable to use in places you can't use a truckmount.

So if the machine just has sufficient cleaning power it may take longer to clean which uses more of my most valuable resource - time. There is always a trade off.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have one (ETM) and use it daily.

IMO, it does just about everything a cleaner would want in a truckmount/portable cleaning system for carpet, upholstery, and tile-grout.

It uses separate modules (vacuum, pressure, heat) so you can configure it for any type job you may encounter, including a high-rise cleaning job. It has 2 separate pump modules - 60-600 PSI and 100-1200 PSI depending on the type job you are doing.

You can comfortably clean 200' from the van, and then take it in if the distance from van to job is greater than 200'.

It will allow you to run true dual wands.

There is an on-board 10,000 watt generator plumbed to the van fuel tank. This is only for when there is no convenient power source inside the jobsite.

The LP heater (240,000 BTU) has an auto-light pilot system, that will even re-light if wind were to blow out the pilot. It will supply a constant 240º to 2 wands, for those really nasty cleaning jobs.

It has a 30 GPM APO, which allows for continuous cleaning, hose reels, fresh water tank, carpet-repair tools, 2 wands, 2 upholstery tools, 2 stair tools, and cleaning and spotting chemicals.

I have all this in an Astro van, and still have room for a few dryers for water damage jobs.

I also have a slide-in TM, with Honda 24 HP motor, Roots #45 blower, and Cat pump, with the same LP heating system.

Although our gasoline slide-in is a very efficient cleaning machine (also dual wands), I prefer the Astro because I use very little gasoline when out cleaning, and am still able to keep up the continuous productions rates I am used to.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
An ETM 's desirability is going to depend on where you live. If you cannot get easy hookup to a 220V dryer or range outlet, you are not going to save a lot on fuel costs. I live in FL so I almost always have a very easy hookup waiting for me when we use the Mytee Escape. There are many advantages to using the ETM over a gas TM. The van handles much better carrying about 700 pounds less in it, the ETM aims straight out the back, which is more convenient to work with, it makes less noise, has auto dump with a long hose and is much, much easier to repair. The peformance is excellent and with the booster, it is as strong as most any gas TM. You don't have to start a gas engine just to pre-spray a house full of carpet; you merely push in a switch and a quiet pump provides all the PSI you need. For residential in FL, it blows away a gas TM but I don't think it will hold true in other areas of the country. In my opinion, being able to plug into a 220V outlet is important. If using a generator, you lose the fuel savings but there are still other advantages also, such as the weight and ease of repair. A gas TM is a clumsy, old, heavy, underachieving machine and puts out way too little for way too much. Use the Escape for a few months and you will likely agree.

174-1.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
So if the machine just has sufficient cleaning power it may take longer to clean which uses more of my most valuable resource - time. There is always a trade off.

The only things I noticed about it was first, when you cover the end of the hose with your hand the vacuum only builds up so much before the electric vac motors max out and second the psi is limited to 1000 psi. Actually when cleaning though it had good psi and vacuum at the wand and you could clean at the same speed you would if using a gas truckmount. I am not sure about the extra setup time and needing to find power. I know some like Deron have the ETM setup down to a science and can set up quite quickly while I have seen others with such a mess of cords and hoses you wonder how they get any work done. The ETM would work fine for carpet and upholstery cleaning but I think I would have a hard time cleaning concrete or tile with it.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
No you cant compare the power if a TM to a ETM but for someone like me it is perfect. I run a mini cargo van and I get 300-400 miles to the (TANK). I started with a small porty and roto360. I added heat and a pump for tile, now Im waiting for the Goliath I got for 2k to run from the van. All is run on 3 cords to the customers house, NO gas, NO generator, NO waste tank with APO. More of room for all my stuff
So my start up and operating and maintenance cost are very low. Like some one said on TMF before, how much power is needed to clean a carpet?
At 150 ft

Yes if my work load was higher per day, a TM is the answer but for starting, cost and work load for me this is more than enough and stretches my profit margin.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: imptn

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Wow, what are you driving?
Its a Ford Windstar 1999, It used to be a UPS delivery truck, came with the cage and all 67k miles. Paid 1800 for it. It shocked me, I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze bought it new off the lot and I get the same mileage as a 1999 van. I could not believe it, granted the van holds 2 gallons more than the Cruze.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Its a Ford Windstar 1999, It used to be a UPS delivery truck, came with the cage and all 67k miles. Paid 1800 for it. It shocked me, I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze bought it new off the lot and I get the same mileage as a 1999 van. I could not believe it, granted the van holds 2 gallons more than the Cruze.

Were just busting your chops. Post # 12 you stated you get 300-400 miles per gallon.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Were just busting your chops. Post # 12 you stated you get 300-400 miles per gallon.
I know, but I do get 300-400 miles a TANK. Sorry typo.
Heres the van before and as I add ons. Looks much better with the see through screening. Cant see in, but I can see out.
2012-07-21 07.49.12.jpg
2012-08-04 10.55.03.jpg
2012-08-04 11.17.57.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location