Electric truck mount for in rug plant for top down cleaning. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Electric truck mount for in rug plant for top down cleaning.

Madenman

Oct 12, 2016
Real Name
Robert Cotton
So I have seen a few people talk about building truck mounts and I thought I would just kinda pitch this idea I had and see if any one has done something like this before or if this is just me being and idiot. So right now when there is top down cleaning being done in our rug plant we pull up one of the vans and just string the hoses in from outside. This works fine but I am in Minnesota so in the winter this can be a pain. I have a extra water pump and a roots 47 blower. I was thinking of getting an electric motor and plumbing up this stuff to run in the plant. Advantages would be no dealing with the cold and a times Savings from set up and break down and no gasoline. How large of a electric motor would I need? I do have 3 phase and 220 in the shop so should be do able. Thoughts?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If it were me ide talk to the manufacturer of the blower to find out what size motor they would recommend. You having 3 phase will definitely help. A car wash just opened up down the road from me. And they have vacuum stations probably about 100 ' with multiple drops for customers to vac their own cars. It's all plumed to a blower that's powered by electric.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
With a 25 hp electric motor you will be able to run both for the distance of hose you will be using. You have the required power in the shop and you can buy a used motor for under $500. I would say go for it! That would be a fun project.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Our local rug spa (best hands in the industry, IMHO) started out with a Sapphire 370 mounted on a trolley for serious rug cleaning. Since then, they've stepped back to an ETM and they love it. So it appears to be a perfectly viable option!

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Inplant electric would be way more efficient, if you go with gas as suggested i guarantee your guys will be constantly running it out of gas and you would have to exhaust fumes Electric would be cheaper and better....there's a reason all the major blower manufacturers systems all have electric motors. Find out your electric horsepower requirements (its way different than gas horsepower requirements) and check ebay for a new or rebuilt motor

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
  • Motor, 3 HP, TEFC, Explosion Proof, 1800 RPM, 1.15 SF, 208-230/460 Volts, 3 Phase 60 Hz
Just checked a roots factory package and this is the motor running it at 3200rpms
notice the 3hp

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i looked into using electric motor a few years ago....
i agreee with jim a 25hp electric motor should have enough power......

hower I dont know how much electricity you will need...????
dont know if a 240 volt outlett is enough?????

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Electric and gas are two different animals 25hp electric is way to much for a 47, like i said in the above post roots own factory setup for a 47 is running a 3hp motor. Not to mention have you seena 25hp electric motor its freaking huge prob weighs about 400lbs or more. 15hp electric is on their 59 package.
I would say 5hp electric should run blower and pump

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I could be wrong but I think most high pressure pumps require about 5 hp to run at full tilt. Direct coupling the blower and using a pulley on the pump is what I would look into, unless you have the special order hydramaster 4.7 blower with the built in slave gear shaft which could drive the pump. I have found opening the recovery tank lid and keying the wand drastically reduces the load on the motor at start up, probably would reduce amp draw on the above too. Definitely keep us posted on your progress.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
SRD, you are definitely right electric and gas don't convert equally but I error to the big side for running both with a 20% margin. Once running power consumption shouldn't be dramatically different. And you're right a 25 horsepower motor will be about 400 pounds.

Reactions: SRD

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Id agree with that @Jim Davisson ive always been of the school of though better to have to much and dial it back than not enough. i researched a little more and ive seen upwards of 7.5 to 10 hp on 47 to 59 packages.
If i was him id call roots or denver gardner and talk to one of their engineers, ive talked to roots engineers before when building machines and they were extreemly helpful

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
your gonna have to call some electric guys and do some more figuring

heres a chart
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/elctrical-motor-full-load-current-d_1499.html

read the chart but I think it shows your only gonna get about 5-7hp on 240 volt
makes sense because most 120volt motors are 2hp
and 240volt motors are 4-5hp

if it doesnt work you could always use propane engine

call Judson as he uses propane engines

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
not too familiar with the 3 phase.......

but still doubt that it would have enough power.......
i am estimating 10-15hp electric motor to run a 47 full power

you could underpower it with a smaller electric motor....but then why use a 47 blower

my non-experienced estimate is that he might be able to run a 36 blower on a 240 volt
and use a separate 120v elctric plug for his pressure pump?????

you can look at the mighty electric truckmounts....thay have to run 3 cords
and still dont have the vacuum of a 36 blower....but thats a little diferent.....

but like I said you need to talk to someone who has done this

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera

you could underpower it with a smaller electric motor....but then why use a 47 blower

my non-experienced estimate is that he might be able to run a 36 blower on a 240 volt

and still dont have the vacuum of a 36 blower....but thats a little diferent.....

Check the specs on the Mytee. Dual cords. Easily more vacuum than a 36 blower.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
So I have seen a few people talk about building truck mounts and I thought I would just kinda pitch this idea I had and see if any one has done something like this before or if this is just me being and idiot. So right now when there is top down cleaning being done in our rug plant we pull up one of the vans and just string the hoses in from outside. This works fine but I am in Minnesota so in the winter this can be a pain. I have a extra water pump and a roots 47 blower. I was thinking of getting an electric motor and plumbing up this stuff to run in the plant. Advantages would be no dealing with the cold and a times Savings from set up and break down and no gasoline. How large of a electric motor would I need? I do have 3 phase and 220 in the shop so should be do able. Thoughts?
Several Rug plants use the Mytee Escape ETM.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

No need for all that. One cord. He's not limited like others are in residential settings.

Reactions: SRD

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
And If I remember right an electric motors rating is just that. Like a 5hp motor electric is 5hp continuous. Where as gas engine of same hp rating is max hp intermittent. There is a formula to figure it out. It's why I suggested talking to manufacturer. There are many versions 120v-230v-480v and rpm ratings of around 800 to 3500 of the same hp motor. They are pricy and heavy. So it's very costly to make a mistake. He has 3 phase so he can go with 480v but again ide talk to manufacturers of either maybe better to talk to motor company. They can suggest the motor best suited for both power and efficiency.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
3 Phase motor/Drive @220 or 440 + volts would work. id use a Allen Bradley Drive those drives are beasts!