El Diablo Troubleshooting

Chris Longest

Nov 21, 2014
VA
Real Name
Chris Longest
Business Location
United States
Have a El Diablo that is almost 2 years old. Has performed flawlessly until just now. After it warms up it wants to run rough. We can shut it down let it sit for a bit, start it back up and it will do the same thing again. No real rhyme or reason to it. So far we have replaced fuel filters, fuel supply pump, air filter, new plugs (gapped at .030), and checked for DTCs, this is a Kohler ECH740 EFI. The only code is a 61 which I have found it no code, that just signals the end of code reading. Not sure what to look at or do next? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
My float shut off switch in my waste tank was malfunctioning and doing the same thing. Try disconnecting the switch and run the machine.

Reactions: Kyle8

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
After you have warmed it up and it starts running rough, cut it off remove one plug wire start it up if it sounds worse cut th engine off reistall the loose wire. Do the same to the other side if one side doesn't have a change then you have a coil getting hot and failing and needs replacing.

royal54

May 1, 2015
Real Name
Carl Schrag
Have a El Diablo that is almost 2 years old. Has performed flawlessly until just now. After it warms up it wants to run rough. We can shut it down let it sit for a bit, start it back up and it will do the same thing again. No real rhyme or reason to it. So far we have replaced fuel filters, fuel supply pump, air filter, new plugs (gapped at .030), and checked for DTCs, this is a Kohler ECH740 EFI. The only code is a 61 which I have found it no code, that just signals the end of code reading. Not sure what to look at or do next? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Kohler engines will somethimes have ign coil problems.(works fine when its cold but misses when its gets hot) Check your spark when it starts to miss.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
This might not help you but my powermatic did the same thing and all I did was hook up a blower and aim it at the machine while I cleaned during the hot months of the year. I was never sorry to see that thing drive off.

Chris Longest

Nov 21, 2014
VA
Real Name
Chris Longest
Business Location
United States
Ok, still chasing this thing. There is no rhyme or reason to it. No MIL codes from the ECU. The kunkle valve appears to be working, but what is the best way to service it so I can try to eliminate that? I am assuming you have to unscrew the nut on the top and take it apart and lube everything and then replace. Are there any other tricks to this? This is the first El Diablo for me and EFI for me. Have 6 Powermatics and pretty much know those in and out.

Also I have pulled the plug wires on it while running and it is a noticeable difference. I have not checked to make sure the spark was strong though....I just thought about that. I will pull the plugs and check to make sure the spark looks strong. Wouldn't the ECU throw the MIL on with these EFI machines for a faulty coil?

Again the EFI game is new to me so bear with me.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Are you running 5w30 oil. If so and the weather is 90's and up try changing to 10w30. HM took oil press switches off their engines saying it was due to press sw failure but 5w30 thins out to quick from the heat so it's worth checking out.

Chris Longest

Nov 21, 2014
VA
Real Name
Chris Longest
Business Location
United States
Are you running 5w30 oil. If so and the weather is 90's and up try changing to 10w30. HM took oil press switches off their engines saying it was due to press sw failure but 5w30 thins out to quick from the heat so it's worth checking out.
I did change to 10w30. My cousin who works for me had put 5w30 in it on previous oil change...I don't know where he got that from as he and I had discussed using 10w30, but anyway we did do that and still acting up.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Chris Longest

Nov 21, 2014
VA
Real Name
Chris Longest
Business Location
United States
Try unplugging the oil sentry circuit from the motor maybe???
Again the sensor for the ecu should be able to diagnose that according to the service manual but I will give it a shot.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Try taking the pressure switch loose if it runs then do two things check the oil pressure if ok replace the switch, get back to work.
I doubt that the oil pressure sw will show up in the ECU most efi system ECU is looking at fuel air mixture and emissions not oil pressure.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Try taking the pressure switch loose if it runs then do two things check the oil pressure if ok replace the switch, get back to work.
I doubt that the oil pressure sw will show up in the ECU most efi system ECU is looking at fuel air mixture and emissions not oil pressure.
Thats right, if you disconnect the oil pressure switch and it runs, the switch could be bad because it should be able to run with the wire disconnected.

Chris Longest

Nov 21, 2014
VA
Real Name
Chris Longest
Business Location
United States
OK guys I will try that and see what happens and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Chris Longest

Nov 21, 2014
VA
Real Name
Chris Longest
Business Location
United States
Ok, I finally got a chance to use the El Diablo myself today on a 4,000 sf commercial job and just wanted to report back.

I disconnected the oil pressure switch earlier in the week and it still acted up. Yesterday I decided to make sure it was not a fuel problem coming from the tank on the van so I put a stand alone tank in it and ran new fuel line and replaced the fuel filters. Ran the machine yesterday after doing this for about an hour, just with the vacuum hooked up no water or the pump or heater on. Ran flawlessly.

Took it to the job today. Set up got started within 15 minutes no pressure at wand so run back to van and sputtering and carrying on. Shut machine down pull plugs, plugs are covered with soot, but dry, figured too rich since it was spitting black smoke out of exhaust.

Started unit up again, ran for about 5 minutes again no pressure at wand. Go back to truck shut it down and said I will try to unhook the O2 sensor to see if it will run like that. Unhooked the O2 sensor and it ran fine all the way through the job. The only problem is every once in a while it will get a surge or sputter in it, probably not good for it I know.

Bring it to my shop put fuel pressure guage on the fuel line and the electric fuel feed pump is holding 3.5psi, not sure if this is enough for the EFI module or not. I have a kohler EFI service kit, but have not checcked the output of the EFI module yet. I did pull a code off of it yesterday, first code that has been pulled and it was for the TPS, there is another code on it right now, but I am sure it is from not having the O2 sensor hooked up, I have not looked the code up yet.

I pulled the plugs when I got back to the shop, after running it with the O2 sensor unplugged and the plugs look great. Just still worried about that "hiccup" every once in a while with it not plugged up.

Any thoughts or ideas? I also noticed that the fuel filter between the electric feed pump and the engine is not filling all the way up, not sure if that is a volume issue, I would think if the plugs are fouling up with soot and black smoke it is too rich, so I would think the volume of fuel is not a problem.

At this point I would lean to the O2 sensor, but that little putt every once in a while concerns me.

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
Check to make sure u got the right plugs.

Is there a clog in the exhaust somewhere causing too much back pressure?

Always always check grounds and fuses, but I'm guessing not Ur problem.