El Diablo Resurrection

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EJessen89

Sep 21, 2018
Real Name
Eric Jessen
New to the business and I am currently putting together an El Diablo unit that has been in storage for the past year. Supposedly the unit "ran great" and was supposed to be installed in a newer van, but never quite made it there. It looks like a 2010 unit (bsaed on the pump decal) and it has the diesel heater. I plan to start on the engine, and work my way down the line to determine if it is worth the work, or if a newer unit is in our future. I have all new fluids for the engine (Kohler) and it seems like the ignition is working, but almost appears as if the blower is locked up. It kicks pretty hard and wants to turn over, but the coupler going to the blower will not turn - either by starting or by hand. Not sure if this is amateur error, or a possible blower issue. I plan to remove the coupler and focus on the engine for now, but wanted to see if anyone had any insight as to possible issues, or things I should look for. Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able offer. I plan to call Master Blend on Monday, but being Saturday evening I am on my own for now.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Yup. The blower is probably locked up. Get it spinning again and put a bunch of WD-40 into it.

If the engine has been sitting for a year you will probably need to have the carb cleaned out. If it fires up, great, if not the first place I would start is with the carb.

Where has this unit been sitting? Has it been subject to freezing? If so was it winterized?

Keep us posted on your progress. We will help any way we can. The El Diablo is a fairly simple machine you should be able to do most the work on yourself.

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
The best way I have found is to remove the pump and bracket and hose from the tank to the blower, and then the elbow.

Once you have that out of the way, spray a whole can of penetrating oil (WD-40, PB Blaster, etc.....)as far in and around the lobes of the blower.
Take a metal rod (3/4”-1” in diameter and a 3 pound sledge hammer and go at it. Once you get the lobes to budge, the engine should break the rest free. Just be prepared for all that oil to come out of the exhaust and smoke as it burns off.

EJessen89

Sep 21, 2018
Real Name
Eric Jessen
Thanks guys! Looks like I will need a bigger wrench, but this has renewed my hope in this machine. It has been stored in a climate controlled storage unit, so I do not believe freezing has been an issue. I will go and get started on the PB blaster and pick up longer wrench later today. I have tried a smaller 15" pipe wrench but was not sure how much force you could apply to the blower without damaging anything. Hopefully I will be able to report back with good news this afternoon.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ive got a 4 foot pipe wrench affectionately named BERTHA we use for breaking loose blowers and sometimes have to put an extension on it lol

EJessen89

Sep 21, 2018
Real Name
Eric Jessen
Harbor freight has pulled through for me once again, 36" pipe wrench got the blower turning! I removed the air cleaner and got my carb cleaner out, and it will run for a few seconds at a time, but I believe a full cleaning is in order for my carburetor. Thank you guys again for the pipe wrench recommendation, I don't think I would have put that much force on it if I didn't start this thread.