El Diablo Rant

RDCCARPET

Aug 18, 2009
NJ
Real Name
russell calderone
Business Location
United States
I have around 900 hrs in the El Diablo and enjoy the heat vac and overall reliability even though alot of components and parts do seem to be sub par. In the last 2 weeks i have blown 3 hoses on the TM itself and a good year pressure hose today that is only about 3 months old. I do not run the temp over 220 on most jobs only time we run around 240-250 is on the real nasty's and it is very rare. The other thing that is scaring me is the rubber drive gear between the engine and blower. I replaced the first one around 750 hrs and see signs of the new one wearing out very quickly and ordered one yesterday since it is only a matter of time. The other items that have been replaced that have not bugged me to much are the electrical switch for the burner, electrode for diesel burner, water pressure gauge, and the ground for the water temp gauge. The only thing that is not making me pull my hair out is that the machine is easy to work on and most parts are able to be purchased locally not from dealer. If it was my old prochem I would have ran up a huge bill at the dealer because it is so difficult to work on. On a up side I am going to Jamaica friday for a wedding/vacation and we have had alot of Water/Mold work this week:-D

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
the rubber sleave between motor and blower has to be perfectly aligned at 12 and 3 o clock otherwise you will start throwing filings and it will go out quick. But if done right it will last. I don't have the El D. But I do have the Powermatic which the El D is modeled after and is very similar but I still think is a better all around machine. If your'e going to put the sleave on yourself I could give you some pointers on how to get it perfect. I've done a lot of those

RDCCARPET

Aug 18, 2009
NJ
Real Name
russell calderone
Business Location
United States
Thanks Scott I will hopefully find the time to check out dunns river falls. Roboshark please inform me on how to properly install the rubber gear since I am doing it myself

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
Thanks Scott I will hopefully find the time to check out dunns river falls. Roboshark please inform me on how to properly install the rubber gear since I am doing it myself
Well you obviously have to unbolt the motor and pull it towards you in order to get old one out. Then it's important to clean out metal flanges where it goes. Get all the debri and oils that might have accumulated. I like to use a toothbrush and a air compressor. If it's oily then clean with a solvent as the oil can deteriarate the rubber faster. then install it and put bolts in motor mount loosely( my kohler has 4 bolts). Then you need about a6 inch thin metal straight edge placing it on the blower end flange run it straight flush over to the other flange and if it hangs up even a little it needs to move slightly. The problem is when trying to adjust you will often over correct. So to combat this issue make sure the motor bolts are hand tight then get a block of wood and tap in the direction needed until the 3 oclock is in position. The motor end might be a little bit high since its not tight yet. After you tighten it down check the 12 oclock and it should be right with factory shims but if not you will have to make shims that will give you the right height. soda cans cut to a horseshoe have worked for me.

Is it the #8 lovejoy coupler that is going on it or a different brand/size? THis project doesn't allow for much error in alignment and it might take multiple times after tightening bolts and checking to get it perfect. It's a two man job also but you can do it without the dealer. When you get into it you can call if you get frustrated. But I did learn not to just stick it thre and let er rip because you'll be doing it all over again within a few hours of runnong the machine.

If there is any oil from pump leaking onto it fix that ASAP because like I said above oil can ruin it as well as misalignment.

See Spots Run

Nov 1, 2010
redding, Ca.
www.seespotsruninc.com
Real Name
Ivan Smith
Business Location
United States
When you replace the pressure hose, which is probably the hot side of the heater, replace it with Neptune 1/4"
you don't need the 1/2 " they put on at MB. Been running them awhile, no problems and only cost me less than $25.00
to have made. Even had a couple extra made, so I'll be good for a couple years at least.
Do you flush out all your lines at the end of the day?
MB uses Goodyear Neptune hose, which, far as I know is'nt considered sub-par.
Moved my temp ground two years ago, never a problem since.
Had my burner coil go out a year and a half ago, but am still on my original electrodes from '08.
Hope it all works out and you have a great time in Jamaica!

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
When you replace the pressure hose, which is probably the hot side of the heater, replace it with Neptune 1/4"
you don't need the 1/2 " they put on at MB. Been running them awhile, no problems and only cost me less than $25.00
to have made. Even had a couple extra made, so I'll be good for a couple years at least.
Do you flush out all your lines at the end of the day?
MB uses Goodyear Neptune hose, which, far as I know is'nt considered sub-par.

Is the El Diablo the same as my Powermatic in the respect of the direct drive to the bower with the rubber coupler between. I know it was modeled after the Powermatic but I hope I'm not giving bad advise on the El Diablo. I would love to visit next time I"m in your area and do some kind of side by side. Not for bragging I'm a humble man and would be interested to see. I was really interested in the El Diablo after using the Powermatic for years

See Spots Run

Nov 1, 2010
redding, Ca.
www.seespotsruninc.com
Real Name
Ivan Smith
Business Location
United States
I don't know anything about the Powermatic, but the El Diablo does have the rubber coupler
and is direct drive.
I'm sure your advice is good for the El D with possibly small differences.
I'm glad I have'nt had all the problems that some others have had.

Gimme a call next time you're passing through.
This time of year, if we are'nt working, we're on the beach at Lake Shasta.
Our moorage is at Bridge Bay, right below the I-5 bridge over the lake.
Close enough to run home, or pick you up at the dock.

Tile Professional

Mar 19, 2009
Lacrosse Wi
Real Name
Andrew Abt
Business Location
United States
You don't need to unbolt the motor at all to replace the coupler. Just slide the carrier down the shaft and take the old one out and put a new one in.

joeynbgky

Oct 10, 2009
bowling green, ky, Nashville, Tn, Columbus, oh
www.Freshaircleans.com
Real Name
joey upchurch
Business Location
United States
So glad I didn't buy an eldiablo! Now that they have been in use and service for awhile....the problems are starting to surface. And cheap components...... so glad I bought tcs brand instead..... everyone raved about the eldiablos at first......hmm what do you guys think now? Not so happy huh?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

RDCCARPET

Aug 18, 2009
NJ
Real Name
russell calderone
Business Location
United States
You don't need to unbolt the motor at all to replace the coupler. Just slide the carrier down the shaft and take the old one out and put a new one in.
Correct I just loosen the 2 screws and slide the metal hosing around the cupler Down the shaft. If it is seized (won't slide down the shaft) I will clean it up with emery cloth and hit the coupler housing with a rubber malett. I will clean with solvent really well before I install the new one this time.

See Spots Run

Nov 1, 2010
redding, Ca.
www.seespotsruninc.com
Real Name
Ivan Smith
Business Location
United States
So glad I didn't buy an eldiablo! Now that they have been in use and service for awhile....the problems are starting to surface. And cheap components...... so glad I bought tcs brand instead..... everyone raved about the eldiablos at first......hmm what do you guys think now? Not so happy huh?

Still lovin' mine!

Tile Professional

Mar 19, 2009
Lacrosse Wi
Real Name
Andrew Abt
Business Location
United States

I bet most ED owners would buy another one....I know I would.

James the boss

May 28, 2012
Ocala fl
Real Name
James stipes
Got 13,000 saved right now my el diablo will be here by the end of the month the guy I'm buying it from is charging me 15,500 with waste tank fresh water tank and taxes good deal? What do thay usually come with